Former Cast Members Take Back the Parks! (A June WDW Vacation TR): Updated 2/12

AlliGirl

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone and welcome to the story of our trip to Walt Disney World! We visited from May 31st to June 5th, 2015. We are a bit delayed in starting to write this, but we have many fun memories and pictures to share!

We have written one previous trip report about our trip to Disneyland last summer. You can read that trip report here. However, since this is the first trip report we have written about Walt Disney World, we’ll redo the introductions for new readers.

My name is Alli and I am originally from a suburb of Dallas, Texas. I graduated from Texas A&M University and then promptly shipped off to Orlando, Florida to participate in the College Program at Walt Disney World. I grew up visiting WDW with my family a handful of times through about age eleven. Then, in 2011, after watching a smattering of YouTube videos about the parks, I just knew I had to make a trip back to WDW! My mom came along, and it was our first trip there in 10 years or so. It was an amazing trip, mostly because so much had changed in those 10 years! After that trip, I was totally consumed by the Disney Parks. I research and read about them frequently and daydream about them even more. That would be why I decided to be a part of the College Program. I started my program in January of 2013 and worked in Adventureland at the Magic Kingdom as a Jungle Cruise Skipper for one year.

20a7a0y.jpg

Yup, I landed the dream job! I also landed the dream boyfriend! (It’s really hard to write about Disney and not be saccharine sweet and cheesy to the nth degree.) My boyfriend Scott was a part of the same CP and also worked in Adventureland at Magic Kingdom, but as a Pirate operating Pirates of the Caribbean. After our six month College Program was up, we still couldn’t leave the magic and stuck around for another six months. We left WDW in January 2014 and this was our first trip back since! So when I say “we” I’m talking about Scott and I! One of our very best friends from our CP also came along on our trip, so she falls into the “we” category as well, haha. Whenever I write on trip reports, Scott is never far, because he has an amazing memory and he takes all of the notes and pictures for our trip report. After I do the writing, he goes back and inserts all of the pictures from that section of the trip. I will let him introduce himself below!

Hey everyone… My name is Scott and I originally hail from the great city of New Orleans, Louisiana, although I’ve spent the last decade (minus our year spent in the most magical place on earth) on the Mississippi gulf coast. As I was growing up, my family frequented Walt Disney World… frequently. I fell in love with the parks and became the official Disney Park Fact Generator/Historian of my family. I read tons of books, I googled obscure Disney facts, and I constantly found myself exploring satellite images of WDW. I was obsessed with learning everything I could about the parks. So, naturally, I had to be a part of the magic. After my older cousin was accepted into the Disney College Program in 2011, I knew that was the route I had to pursue. I was originally accepted into the DCP as a lifeguard at Typhoon Lagoon. After 3 months of staring at water and smelling of chlorine, I knew it wasn’t for me. So I put in a request to transfer, and just two short weeks later, I was sailing the high seas with Captain Jack Sparrow. The job was everything I’ve ever wanted, and out of all of the jobs in the great wide World, I was lucky enough to be placed LITERALLY next door to my lovely girlfriend. Life was sweet.

153ohz6.jpg

2lwkpq9.jpg

vxp92v.jpg

70z5h5.jpg

If anyone out there has questions about the College Program or working at WDW, leave a comment and we will be happy to help!

We booked this trip in the middle of March and we were able to take advantage of the Cast Member Friends and Family hotel room discount via a very kind friend who still works at WDW. We weren’t looking to splurge, as twenty-somethings with ad infinitum relatively new necessities demanding our every dollar. So, we opted to stay at Pop Century. It was my first time staying there and I had my trepidations. I originally wanted to stay in a Little Mermaid room at Art of Animation, but the Cast Member I spoke with on the phone explained that because these are some of the most highly demanded rooms on property at any given time, they don’t offer the Cast Member discounts on them, or any other discount. So…Pop Century it is! We didn’t think we’d hang around the resort much anyway, as crazy park commandos who wanted to do it all in four days.

We also had saved four single day parkhopper tickets from while we were working at WDW. Cast Members earn these “complimentary admission” tickets twice a year, nice perk! Since we had four free tickets apiece, we decided we would spend four days in the parks and spend our first day driving to Orlando and visiting Downtown Disney and our resort. Since we had four single day tickets apiece, I was nervous about how this would all go with our My Disney Experience Apps and Magic Bands. We all worked in the trenches at Magic Kingdom when Magic Bands went live. So we knew one side of the process. The side of standing at the kiosk by the Fastpass+ entrance at our attractions and explaining what Fastpass+ was, how to use it, why only some people could use it etc. until our faces were blue. Blue like the flashing circles around the Mickey heads at the access points as the masses attempted to tap just about anything against them to no avail. If you haven’t been to WDW post-Fastpass+ yet, a flashing blue light = no go.

However, we didn’t know the other side of Magic Bands: that as a guest actually using them for every aspect of your vacation. We had participated in a few Magic Band tests over the years, but only as hotel room keys and they were always plagued with issues. So, being that we were having our first true experience, and we had an unusual circumstance, I was pretty worried that something just wasn’t going to work out. We had printed each of our One Day Parkhopper Tickets months back, and they say on the bottom that you can make Fastpass+ reservations with them 7 days in advance. Gulp. Only seven days? Kiss those mountains goodbye… (or so I thought at the time). But after a lot of research and phone calls about the tickets and MDE, we were instructed to go ahead and link them to our accounts. So we linked each of the individual tickets and assigned them to the correct person. After I linked the tickets I thought…well, I know the tickets said we had to wait until seven days in advance but it can’t hurt to try and make Fastpass+ reservations now. It certainly didn’t hurt, because we were able to, even though we were somewhere around 50 days in advance. Apparently the information on the tickets we had printed was already out of date. So I quickly snatched up FPs for all of our favorites…but not Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. Oy. The only thing we hadn’t done in all of WDW…even though we stared at those darned construction walls for an entire year as we played in the parks…for free…okay, I guess we can’t complain! The first time slot for an FP on the day I was making MK FPs for was 7:50pm. Honestly, that’s not terrible! But I knew we wanted to ride 7DMT during the day, and we wanted to parkhop to Hollywood Studios that night for evening EMH. So, 7:50 seemed too late. Oh well…hopefully we’d be able to ride it another time without sacrificing our first born?

So...hotel reservation: check. Tickets: check. Fastpass+ reservations: check. Anxiety about everything going seamlessly: double check!

29w5yr6.jpg

*disregard the names

If you made it this far in reading…thank you! I know that I’m longwinded! Next time we’ll post about our Pre-Travel Day and our first day on property!

Thanks for reading and we’ll see ya real soon!

If you can remember, did the CM dining discount apply to the Fantasmic! Dining Packages? I'm heading to WDW with a CM friend, and we aren't sure if the discount will be accepted. I know that Mama Melrose is part of their 20% discount, but cannot find any info if it will be accepted with the package. Thanks a bunch!

If you can remember, did the CM dining discount apply to the Fantasmic! Dining Packages? I'm heading to WDW with a CM friend, and we aren't sure if the discount will be accepted. I know that Mama Melrose is part of their 20% discount, but cannot find any info if it will be accepted with the package. Thanks a bunch!

The different discounts and promotions for Cast Members tend to change by the season. So I'm leaning towards no, the 20% meal discount would be all they offer. However, it's possible they discount the package. Have your cast member friend look on The Hub (the cast member site for scheduling etc) at the discounts tab. It's the same place they have the lists of what restaurants are discounted etc. If they don't discount the package, you could always wait for the second showing, if they're offering one that night. The crowds are much lower at the second show and you don't have to camp out for good seats. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Joining! Awesome start! You both are super cute together!! I'm excited to read a TR from the perspective of former CMs!! Please throw in some of your favorite tips and secret spots! :cutie: :flower3: :rainbow:

Thanks for joining! I love sharing our insight, and we even discovered a few new things this trip that I can't wait to share, like the perfect Festival of Fantasy viewing spot!

Joining the party! You guys are so cute. It's always nice finding other couples around our age who love Disney as much as we do (mainly because most of our friends think we're crazy for loving it so much without kids). I always dreamed of doing the College Program but never had the chance, so I love hearing about everything behind the scenes. Can't wait to read more!

Hey everyone and thanks for joining us in this virtual journey to Disney World! We were so elated when we just logged on to post this update and saw so many comments from all you wonderful Disney people! We've been slow on updating until now, so I'm going to try to pick up the pace over the rest of the summer. Key word *try*

So where we last left off, everything was planned for our trip and all that was left were a few last minute preparations. My mom was the absolute queen of sweet surprises on trips when I was growing up, so naturally I had a few planned for my fellow trip attendees.

About a week before the trip, our friend and Scott received letters in the mail from Mickey Mouse himself! While I had absolutely nothing to do with these letters, I’m sure that if you google “Mickey letter template” or something similar, you can create your own little surprise. ;) All you would need to do is place a textbox with a white background in over the “your name” area. Scott had downloaded Disney fonts for free in the past to use on various photo projects and those helped with the authenticity of the letter. It looks as though Mickey's printer was probably running a bit low on color ink when he printed this…but alas, we'll forgive him.

33upjip.jpg

Another fun surprise I put together were some simple little treat buckets that appealed to the “kid at heart” brought out in us as we travelled back to our happy place.

n3vsdl.jpg

This was our friend's bucket but I made a similar one for Scott with Monster's University theme, since that's one of his favorite movies. I ordered a few things online from the Disney Store, each of which were on sale for a dollar or two! I happened to find Tsum Tsums of the three peas in a pod character from Toy Story 3, which were perfect for the three of us.

34y215u.jpg

I supplemented those goodies with finds from the party store and Target. While at the party store, we also picked up some party decorations to use to decorate the window in our room. We'll show you those later.

We left to drive to Orlando on Sunday, May 31st. So obviously we were very much in the Disney spirit the week before we left and planned a few activities to do then to prolong the fun. We were really excited to see the movie Tomorrowland, and we had even read the prequel book Before Tomorrowland.

4zt8a0.jpg

The book is a lot of fun and action and the artwork is all very art deco, which I love. So we went to see the movie the Friday before we left. I am a teacher in a smaller town, so a lot of my time outside of school is spent running into students. We only have one movie theater option here…so you see where this is going. We went to an 11:30 am showing, but I still got a tap on the shoulder from the seats behind us… of course, haha. We really enjoyed the movie Tomorrowland! I have to say, it seemed to get a bad rap online, and we’re pretty harsh critics ourselves, but we really enjoyed it for what it was.

On Saturday we spent the day packing up, of course, and went to get some special road trip treats. We always spend the most time making sure our “park bags” have everything we need, and it’s always complicated incorporating the things you need just for travel, into the things you want to carry all day in the park. We went through our pin collection and selected the pins we were bringing to trade, which I opt to carry in a simple zipper top Ziploc baggie. I’ve tried lanyards but I don’t like wearing them and the pins fall off in my bag if I don’t use the locking backs, and that makes no sense for trading. I’ve also tried using a hardy leather zip up pouch, but that was so frustrating for trades as well! I never felt like I could see what I was grabbing to trade. So a good ole Ziploc bag will do. I carried our pins to trade and Scott carried a bag of traders from a friend from home to see if we could find anything for her collections.

At some point that Saturday, while packing and doing chores around the house, we watched Big Hero Six. We’re both big fans of the movie and hadn’t seen it since we saw it in theaters. We got our suitcases packed up, which is extremely easy when you’re driving! I had a few dresses I planned to wear (one of which is for a Disney Bound that you’ll see on our DHS day!) and a few blouses that I purchased from the Lauren Conrad Minnie Mouse collection at Kohls. I didn’t want to fold any of them, so I put them in a garment bag; that made things so easy! I had also purchased new shorts from Old Navy for our trip as I had given away most of my others since last summer. I only needed one pair of shoes for the whole trip (though Scott told me I had to bring a back up pair), my trusty Chacos. I’m a huge fan and swear by them wholeheartedly. Walking through a rainstorm at Disney World used to be a chore, until I started wearing Chacos. No foot pain, no blisters, no trouble whatsoever. I also had a new rain jacket I was going to try bringing along in my backpack each day, which I had never done before.

1fwuqf.jpg

Yup, that's our luggage. We sure are Disney people! Scott's backpack was purchased at the parks a few years ago and my silver Mickey suitcase was a graduation gift from my dad. My parents ordered it online, though I'm not sure from where. Every single time I carry it on to a plane people always comment "I know where you're going!" with a big smile. Which is great when it really is Disney World or Disneyland, and funny when I just happen to be flying somewhere totally different. Hey, it's my only carry on suitcase and this girl loves Mickey Mouse. My park bag isn't pictured here, but I carry a medium size fabric backpack I bought years ago.

After we had all of our clothes packed up, I got the cooler we planned to bring for the road trip packed minus the cold packs. Once we had everything all packed up we knew it was time to take our dog, Penny June, to the boarder she stays at when we travel. Even though we’ve taken Penny to this boarding place for a handful of trips, I was still really worried about her going for this many nights. So I made Scott take pictures of us with her. Then we packed up everything we needed and drove her over to the boarder to drop her off.

2wmdow2.jpg

23jjpja.jpg

Two silly people + one little puppy = Our dog grew up to be a total goofball.

Once we got back, the only thing left to do for me was take a shower so I’d be all ready to leave in the morning.

Did I say morning? What I really meant was later that night. Because as far as I’m concerned, a pitch-black sky is definitely not the morning. We wanted to arrive in Orlando with a lot of the day left, so we got up at 3am with the goal to leave by 4am. Actually we both woke up before our alarms and in pleasant moods, which is an anomaly that only occurs the morning of a Disney travel day. We got all of our last minute things packed up and started taking everything out to the car and finally the moment had come to set out towards Disney World!

Orlando is an 8 or 9 hour drive from us, and by the time we were seated in the car and out on the road, it was 3:45am, yes! We easily achieved our goal for our departure time. The drive from here to there was a pretty uneventful one, until we actually reached Orlando.

ekeote.jpg

See here's actual clock proof: we truly are crazy Disney people.

We stopped at the Florida welcome rest stop for the photo opportunity.

35mju4i.jpg

2w3dsad.jpg

24wy610.jpg

We love listening to podcasts and we listened to a few episodes of the DisBoards podcast, along with a few of our other favorite shows. We ate our favorite travel snacks, which I highly recommend. You can buy them at Target and they are called Go Picnic meals. They’re basically a high class, no refrigeration necessary version of a Lunchable. We started getting them to eat instead of pricy airport food, but we couldn’t resist picking them up for our road trip as well. Each meal comes with a grouping of snacks, like hummus and crackers, nut mixes, dried fruit etc.

2ebengm.jpg

After a long drive, and so much anticipation, we finally saw our first signs for Orlando!

9rlfee.jpg

Our old home! The place we met! The place we spent a truly magical year of our lives! The place that will forever be “where it all started.”

Next time I’ll get into our arrival on property and the resort. Plus…would those much-feared Magic Bands actually work?

We're going to attempt to post another update tomorrow, but we're leaving for a road trip which is sadly not Disney related, though the Texas Hill Country is perfectly magical in its own way.

Thanks so much for reading and we'll see ya real soon!

Joining the party! You guys are so cute. It's always nice finding other couples around our age who love Disney as much as we do (mainly because most of our friends think we're crazy for loving it so much without kids). I always dreamed of doing the College Program but never had the chance, so I love hearing about everything behind the scenes. Can't wait to read more!

Disney is so fun as a young couple! We can go all day, stay out all night, and maybe even enjoy a few adult beverages! Plus nobody needs a nap or a diaper change. Thanks for reading!
:worship:Um, I'm hoping you get that perfect viewing spot done before I leave for my trip on 8/15.

We watched FoF on our first park day, so we should definitely get there before your trip! If not, remind me and I'll let you know. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter