• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Formal Night question

bogino

Mouseketeer
I'm going on the 7 day cruise next week (04/06). Could someone please explain "Formal Night" to me. What exactly is it and are there more than 1 Formal Nights? Is it held in all the different restaurants. What about kids? Do they need to dress formal too. Thx.

We just returned from the 3/16 7-day Eastern on the Magic and here is what I experienced. There was a "formal night" inwhich people dressed "formal" for their regular dinner rotation meal, which included a Captains Reception immediately afterwards (for us, we were in early dining). The Reception was in the lobby with waiters wandering with appetizers and drinks.

I wore a long black skirt with a beaded top; DH wore a navy suit; DD (age 16) wore a long dress; DS (age 14) wore black pants, white button shirt with tie. We were dressed appropriately. There will be some there dressed more elaborately (including tuxes and evening gowns) and some dressed less formally then we were.

There was another 'formal night' for regular dinner rotation which meant I wore a short black dress, husband in the same suit jacket (different shirt and dress pants); DD in a shorter dress and DS in dark green dress pants and shirt (no tie). Again, we were dressed appropriately.

Then there is Island Night for another one of your dinner rotations and the appropriate dress is wild, colorful dresses and shirts. Disney prefers no shorts at any of their dining rooms.

I was a bit confused on all this, too. But once I figured out that the "dress nights" meant dress for your regular dinner rotation, then it became more clear. Your Personal Navigator will tell you what nights are formal and Island. You can always call Guest Services, they are very helpful.

TIP: If you have shirts or clothes to press for Formal or Island Nights, do so before the day of ... the laundry rooms can get a bit busy the afternoon of these nights with people waiting to use the irons. Hope you enjoy it all as much as we did!

Did I read somewhere that on Tropical Night it was acceptable to wear shorts as part of your tropical attire, or not?

Tropical night I can deal with- it's having TWO formal nights AND dinner at Palo's that's going to be the death of me!! Maybe I should arrange Palo's on one of the formal nights....?

Yes, shorts are allowed on Tropical Night. My husband & I arranged Palos on the Formal Night and I went to Semi-Formal Night with my daughter (hubby hates to dress up at all). The Semi-Formal attire is suitable for Palos dinner. Palos brunch isn't as dressy. People wore nice shorts outfits - there were all types of dress, from the very dressy to resort casual. People didn't care - everyone was there to have a great time - nobody treated the cruise as a "fashion show". Even on the Semi-Formal night - people were in sequin gowns or skirts/blouses. On the regular dinner nights, a few of the patrons wore shorts. The food still tasted great and the atmosphere was still excellent.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter