For those who've stayed at the Plaza...

skorpie

Love the magic
This is our weekend for the Plaza and the Producers! We're ready except for a few details. Does anyone know about parking at the Plaza? Do they even offer parking or is it easier to take the train into the city and a taxi to the hotel? I'd really hate to drag a suitcase around NYC! We're narrowing our dinner choices to either Carmine's or Shula's. Any thoughts on either? The next morning does anyone have thoughts about breakfast or should we just indulge and order room service? :love2:

I can't give you any answers...But I can't wait for some replies as I would love to check out the Plaza. Have a great trip!

-John

According to the hotel's info on Travelocity.com valet parking is $40 per day. They also list "Self Parking Garages - Cost varies with amount of time parked" and "Parking Meters".

I would take that to mean that you can park your own car in one of the public parking garages, paying their rates for the time you are there, or you can park at a meter, or you can pay the $40 per day (Ouch!).

Have a great trip.

Heads up - self parking garages will not be much cheaper. Additional parking sales taxes run something like 18.25% to 20%.

I suggest that you use the Hotel valet parking. It is very easy, and certainly much easier than public transportation. When we stayed there a couple of years ago using DVC points, parking was less than $40.00, but prices always rise. The Hotel has (or had at the time) clear driving directions on their web page. This is a great hotel in a great location. I hope you have a wonderful time.

DH and I have traveled into the city many times for weekend getaways and have always taken the train. It really isn't all that hard and the cabs are waiting right outside. A word of caution about Carmines. They don't take reservations (only parties above 6 can) and waits are usually around 2 hours by 5PM. If you really want to eat there, get there early. The Plaza is truly beautiful and I'd definately recommend room service. Their room service is one of the best, and it's definately worth the indulgence. The Producers is a WONDERFUL show and Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane are the best!!! Enjoy!

Thanks for all your replies. I think that the valet parking will suit us,after all, we're using our DVC points as a splurge, so why not the valet service!!!! :teeth:

The Plaza is great, but I would probably opt to take the train - 30-40 dollars to park would buy a nice souvenier from the producers, city, etc. Depending on how long you are staying it could also buy you high tea for two (a must at the plaza!). Carmines is very nice but the previous post was correct about the wait times. One other thing is that Carmines is better if you are in a group. Since the food is family style - just one meal is enough for 2-3 so you really won't get the full flavor of all of the wonderful things on the menu.

Enjoy!!!!

We also love Carmines! We usually go and put our name on the list and then enjoy Times Square until our appointed time. (I believe there are two locations, we always go to Times Square.) It is served family style, so we usually order one entre and dessert. The strawberry shortcake is out of the world!!! Every once in a while my wife asks if we can go to NYC to get the strawberry shortcake! Enjoy, it will be a wonderful trip.

::MickeyMo

By the time you add up the cost for train tickets, cab fare from Grand Central and a tip for the cabbie you'll be close to $40 so I'd say just do what's easiest and most convenient for you.

Have a wonderful trip and remember we want details!

As far as breakfast, eating at The Plaza either in the Palm Court or with room service will be pricey. Up to you whether you might as well go ahead and just bust the whole bank! The other option would be nearby delis -- just doesn't have the same tone as the rest of the weekend. ;)

We loved The Plaza. We had a great room overlooking 5th Ave.
I recommend the train. (I can't stand paying for parking in NYC. And on my last trip to Boston the valet parking was cheaper than NYC.)
We took the train and then a taxi to the hotel. We splurged on taxis to and from Times Square and the theatres and used public transportation the rest of the time.
As for food at The Plaza, we ate at the Oak Room late one evening and were terribly disappointed. Not such wonderful service and the food left something to be desired.
But the front desk staff knew all about DVC members. It is the most requested hotel in the Concierge Collection!
Enjoy!

Shula's is right around the corner from The Producers and is a great steakhouse. If you can't get into Carmines, go through Shubert Alley and make a left on 45th street. Just past the Imperial Theatre you will see an Italian restaraunt called Puleo's II. THis place has awesome food and desserts for less than Carmines. On matinee days (wed. + sat.) the place is filled with actors, actresses, musicians, and stagehands their dinner. It's not as touristy as Carmines, but just as good.

We stayed at The Plaza in November of 2001. Parking was $40/day plus tax and tips. Self-parking, which was about two blocks away, was about $30/day. Either way, quite a chunk of change.

We stayed at the Plaza last January for our Anniversary. We absolutely loved it!! Left the car home; parking is expensive. Took a cab in and the train back home.

I did have one complaint. Our room was very, very cold. The weather that weekend was similiar to what we've been having here in NYC lately. Cold..cold...and more cold. The radiator was not even hot; warm would be an exageration. Housekeeping/Maintance came up and said "unfortunatly it's cold outside and these rooms are "old". OK...can you move us? No there were no other rooms in "this catagory" available.

Dispite that small inconvienence, we still had a great time; no kids :) and we managed to stay "warm"! :o

Have a wonderful trip and please post a report when you get back!

Thumbs up for Carmine's. Be sure to bring your appetite.

DW and I stayed at the Plaza a 2 years ago for her birthday and loved it. I recommend Wolf's Deli for breakfast, which is a block or two from the hotel. It was recommended to us by the concierge, and we loved it. Nice atmosphere as well.

If you have time before or after the show. Be sure to enjoy the beverage of your choice at the Broadway Lounge at the Marriott Marquis overlooking Times Square. It is truly a one of a kind experience.

Have fun! :)

Dh and I are getting sooooo excited about the coming weekend! Thanks to everyone and all the advice! I promise to post a report!

DH and I plan on going for our ten year aniversary in 2006 so I love hearing about other people's trip and I can't wait to read more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter