For someone who is overweight- what rides should be avoided?

cehrin

Earning My Ears
Save me the embarrassment now - what are the rides fat people should avoid? Im a size 24 and have felt some rides I would just not be able to squeeze onto in my past experiences at fairs/amusement parks- I dont want to be humliated in front of DH or his Uncle so any help would be greatly appreciated!! :rolleyes1

welcome to the DIS! I hope you'll find that many of the rides will be accomodating to you regardless of your size and I don't think you'd have to be embarassed at all for the sake of the castmembers who would be more than willing to help you. Perhaps some rides might be a bit "tight" or "uncomfortable" but certainly not impossible.

For example a ride like Dumbo comes to mind as having not a lot of leg room to begin with for an adult of any size. Same holds true for Matterhorn, my very tall husband is uncomfortable on these types of rides.

I don't have too many more specific answers for you but there will be so many things to do and see, I wouldn't get too worried about the couple of things that might not accomodate you!

The only rides I can think of that it might be an issue is Maliboomer and Orange Stinger at DCA- Others may be a little uncomfortable or you may choose to ride alone (say Big Thunder, Autopia- or lots of the Fantasyland Darkrides) for increased comfort but there isnt anything you'll have to avoid.

-em

The only ride you may have trouble with is the Astro Orbiter, AKA Rocket Jets. Those are not easy to get out of if you're over the age of 10. I think the Orange Stinger *might* have a 250 pound weight limit, but if you're bottom heavy, you might find the seats a tight squeeze. I'm top-heavy and wear a 20-22 top (depending on style) and I fit just fine on the Maliboomer.

I ride everything except orange stinger and maliboomer. I don't like rides like maliboomer so i won't ride it. Orange stinger has a weight limit of 210 or 220 I think. However a CM told another CM the reason for the weight limit was because they felt this was an easier way of limiting people on the ride. They didn't want to have to look at someone and say, uh sorry, but your bottom might not fit in the seat. Apparently as long as you can get in and out of the seat they won't stop you from riding. Some rides are better alone than others. I prefer to ride Matterhorn alone or with my daughter than with her father, just too crowded. I agree with astro orbiter it's a pain to get out of no matter what size you are.

I am a size 22 (which I hate to admit) and I have never not been able to ride a ride that I wanted to. Now that said, I do not ride Dumbo, Astro Orbitor, Tea Cups, the Orange Stinger and anything that goes in "circles," because they make me sick.

I've been to DL as a size 24 and was able to ride everything except Orange Stinger. I did have a tight fit in Astro Orbitor, Indiana Jones (plenty of seat belt, just narrow seats) and California Screamin (snug fit and kinda crushed my chest)

when all of you say you had a tight fit, do you mean when you were riding with another adult, or alone, or with a child? My DH and I individually are not that big but when you put us together we might be tight.

The design of the Astro-orbiter just isn't condusive to an adult getting in and especially out of it. I think it's the narrowness of the rocket and how low the seats are to the floor--it's hard to get leverage to get up. I think with the Matterhorn, it depends on everyone's sizes. Two "Pooh" size people will have a problem, but two "Tink" sized people or even a combination of a Pooh and a Tink won't have that much problem, unless both are tall--the person in front might not have enough leg room. With Indy, the seats are individual. It doesn't matter if there are others sitting with you or not--the seats are a little narrow. I'm small enough through the hips that I don't have a problem in it.

I didn't have any problem at WDW, but was concerned about the different rides at DL. I had thought about this, too, but it just never dawned on me to ask the question. I'm glad to hear this. There's nothing worse than having to get out of line, towing a disappointed child, because you can't fit on a ride.

I'm trying to drop a size or two before we go, just to make the walking easier, but it's nice to know that the rides themselves aren't an issue!

Okay, great, something I can answer! :rotfl:

I'm a solid 24, with big hips and butt. (SWEAR to me that this will not be used against me later!) There's no ride at DL or DCA that I wanted to ride that I couldn't ride. What everyone said is true, Orange Stinger has a weight limit which I exceed. However, I had no desire to ride it--not my kind of ride. Similairly, I don't ride roller coasters, so California Screamin' wasn't ventured, nor did I try Maliboomer.

I found the rides at DL and DCA much more agreeable to my size than the local amusement park. I wouldn't recommend the Rocket Rods, they made me uncomfortable, but you can certainly ride them if you desire. On Mulholland Madness, they preferred that I not ride with my children because my stomach prevented the bar from getting down as far as they wanted. However, they do have a bar adapter readily available--and by that, I mean right at the loading area--which they can slip on, which makes it safe for me to ride with my child. This wasn't a big deal--I have two children, who rode together, and I rode with my hubby. On most of the rides, I ride with one of my kids, and my hubby rides with the other. On rides where my hubby and I ride together, some can be uncomfortable, but doable--the ones like this that come to mind are Alice in Wonderland, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (no leg room!), and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. My husband also felt claustrophobic, and he felt that it was the size of the ride rather than my weight. I didn't even try Dumbo, and it seems to me that a lot of adults wouldn't be comfortable on this ride.

Also, I wanted to add that at no point did any cast member make me feel uncomfortable for my size. You know how it can be--I was very comfortable at DL.

I went with my friend last year and she was of the same size and concerns. She really had nothing to worry about and many of the seats were wide enough for us to ride on the same seat. Her major problem was that her knees started killing her and so on the second day she rented one of the electric chairs and we had a great time. :Pinkbounc

One of the few rides I hadn't ridden (I am a size 20/22) was Maliboomer. I tried it last month and fit fine. Whenever I have been worried, I just casually ask a cm if they think it will be a problem and they have always told me it won't. I agree with others about Astro Orbitor, even my skinny 11 year old finds getting in that ride awkward. My 6'3", 265 pound father in law rode it with my daughter once and said it killed his knees getting in but he managed fine once he was inside the rocket! Disney theme parks are very size friendly, you will be fine! Have a great trip!

P.S. In my 9 trips to Disneyland, I have only seen one person who almost had to get off a ride. It was Mulholland Madness and this guy was riding with his young son. Even with the bar adaptor they couldn't get the bar down far enough. The poor guy was embarrassed but a nice lady offered to have the little boy ride with her while the dad rode in the next car, saving the day. I now always ride that ride with my dh while the kids ride up front, just to be safe!

I'm not 'pooh size', but was going to mention a ride that a poster a couple posts up mentioned. Mullholland, jsut make sure you ride with an adult. A few years ago we were there and a mom and young (maybe 5YO) daughter were going to ride together in the seat in front of ours. The CM put the foam piece on but there was still too much space. They wanted mom/daughter to get off that train so that they could ride seperately on the next train (meaning DD alone). The mom was clearly humiliated and said no thanks they'll just get off and go that her DD was too young to ride alone :guilty: DH offered to trade spaces with DD though so DD sat with me and DH sat with mom. It worked out, but it was an embarrassing situation for the mom.

Hey, guess what! Mulholland is now Pooh-size friendly. When we went a couple of weeks ago, we discovered that the lap bars had been replaced. They are now INDIVIDUAL! The bar is an L shape coming from the middle of the car, allowing for complete adjustability and safety for the riders. This allows Pooh-sized riders to be comfortable and ride with their children.

Space Mountain also has this wonderful lap bar. THANK YOU so much, Disneyland!

Blackunicorn said:
Hey, guess what! Mulholland is now Pooh-size friendly. When we went a couple of weeks ago, we discovered that the lap bars had been replaced. They are now INDIVIDUAL! The bar is an L shape coming from the middle of the car, allowing for complete adjustability and safety for the riders. This allows Pooh-sized riders to be comfortable and ride with their children.

Space Mountain also has this wonderful lap bar. THANK YOU so much, Disneyland!

Good to know! I am Pooh Sized and have never ridden MM because of the safety bar issue. It's the only ride I haven't ridden (other than Orange Stinger and Maliboomer). Now I can ride it!

I am larger than the original poster and have NEVER had to get off a ride because of my size. Some things are a bit tight, but manageable. Disney is very size friendly and you will be just fine!

I did a search for this topic, rather than bringing it up myself :blush:
I was glad to find that such a thread exists, because I've been worrying about it since I found out that we're really going (about 3 weeks ago)! I am currently in a size 20-22 approximately.

So, are the answers in this thread still current? Have there been any changes since 2005 when it originated?

It's an embarrassing topic, for sure. I'm trying to prepare my body for all the walking by getting on my treadmill as much as possible to build walking endurance, and just got a new pair of runners today, so I can break them in up until we go in September.

I'd appreciate any new info!
Thanks
Linda

TeamTnC just got back from DL. See his thread at http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1529006

Tom mentions that he is pooh sized and did not have any problems on any of the rides he got on. I emailed him and he said he rode the following with no problems (with a child next to him):

Peter Pan
Alice
Mr. Toad
Matterhorn
Pinnochio
Big Thunder
Indy
Splash, Back seat with daughter next to me
Haunted Mansion
Train
Nemo
Autotopia
carasoul
Snow White
Buzz
Small World
Pirates
Pooh
Jungle Cruise
Grizzley River Run
Monsters Inc.

Tom is real nice and I am sure he will answer more questions if you have them.

I will be going the week of Aug 6th and feel much more comfortable after exchanging emails with TeamTnC. I plan to write a Pooh Sized review when I get back... just because I know I have stressed over our trip and I am greatful TeamTnC put my mind at ease... once I have some first hand knowledge I hope to pass that on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter