For all of you who take seasick medicine...

Seasickness is my biggest fear. Years ago I was airline cabin crew and I got used to all sorts if violent turbulance but I really fear at my age now I won't cope well with the waves. This is my first cruise and I'm trying really hard not to talk myself into seasickness but I plan on staying fully medicated just in case. Also I'm travelling solo with three young boys and worry my head will be in the toilet and it will ruin their holiday completely. When in doubt MEDICATE!

What is the the "patch"?
The patch is a prescription, stick-on thing that looks like a round band-aid, that has a controlled amount of anti-nausea medication on it. You stick it behind your ear a few hours before you expect to be somewhere you could get nauseaous, and it slowly dispenses the medication over several days (you absorb it through your skin). It tends to not make you as sleepy as Dramamine can, but it's one of those things you either tolerate well or you don't. I used the patch last time I went on a day cruise, and it worked FABULOUSLY, but I only kept it on for a day and a half.

Sayhello

Another vote for Bonine. It works better than Dramamine for sure. I found that out at Universal Studios when I forgot to pack Bonine, I had to buy 2 dramamine pills at a store in Universal, and I had to avoid a lot of the rides that day. I have used the bands and found them useless, and I have used the patch. It affected my eyesight. I couldn't read the menu on a cruise, and it dried me up so bad, I couldn't eat, my mouth was so dry. I stick to bonine, and take it the day before the cruise, and take 2 if I think the seas are really bad.

My best advice is the same as everyone else's: Don't risk it!!! Take something with you.

Another meclizine user here! Works like a charm. I also use the electronic wristband, really helps when the seas get very rough (I also wear this for Expedition Everest, don't need it for any other rides - it's the going backwards that gets to me). I'm one of those who is very conscious of the motion of the ship, so need to use meds whenever the ship is moving :mad: They work, and I'd rather be on them and a bit sleepy than sick!!!

Lin

Thanks for all of your replies. I guess you talked me into not taking any chances. You are right, I'd rather feel a bit sleepy than seasick.

They do make a non-drowsy version of Dramamine.
No.

There is no such thing as "a non-drowsy version of Dramamine."

There is a product called Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula. It's Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg in each tablet). The old name for Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula was Dramamine II.

Bonine is also Meclizine Hydrochloride (25 mg in each tablet).

Bonine and Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula have exactly the same effectiveness and the same side effects because both are the same medication in the same dosage. Meclizine Hydrochloride is an anantihistamine. One side effect is drowsiness. In fact, it makes some people very drowsy.

Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula is less likely to cause significant drowsiness than Dramamine Original Formula, which is Dimenhydrinate (50 mg in each tablet).

Dramamine Less Drowsy Formula is not approved for children under 12 years of age, unless directed by a doctor. Dramamine Original Formula can be given to children as young as 2 years old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter