Foods That Can Be Made with Only Hot Water

They used to be called "boil-in-bag" meals. I loved them. :love:

OP, you didn't mention if you have a refrigerator to store foods. If you do, and can borrow a Foodsaver sealer, you can make some great "boil-in-bag" meals of your own. Pretty much anything in a liquid or sauce can be sealed & then boiled. :cool1:

Here's another thread on it. It discusses the need to use real boilable bags:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1998536

All she is going to have is hot water. She will not have a microwave or oven. She only needs things that use hotwater and nothing else.

In the organic section at Wegmans they have soups in a cup that you just add water to, cover, and wait for a couple of minutes. They have a bunch of different kinds (split pea, thai kinds, etc.) I'm sure other stores have them as well, but I've only seen them in the organic section.

All she is going to have is hot water. She will not have a microwave or oven. She only needs things that use hotwater and nothing else.

I didn't ask about a microwave or oven. I asked about a refrigerator. If she even has a cooler & is willing to keep (free) ice from the hotel in it to constantly keep the foods chilled, she can boil IN bag items.

I didn't ask about a microwave or oven. I asked about a refrigerator. If she even has a cooler & is willing to keep (free) ice from the hotel in it to constantly keep the foods chilled, she can boil IN bag items.

Sorry I was only trying to be helpful. If that upset you then you need to get a gripe.

What do you need these "water only" ideas for? That might help us make suggestions. Where are you getting the hot water? If there is no stove or microwave, are you using a coffee pot or hot pot? I have a hot pot from college and still use it for lunches at work. You can cook things in it like spaghetti, soup, chef boyardee, ramen, etc.

Look for "Heat and eat" items that come in pouches you pop in water...I've had some lentil dishes like that...perhaps use that serch enginne thats like giggle...:rolleyes1

I don't know if the OP is asking for in a hotel room or for at home with power outage, but I know people make omelets in baggies that they boil. They make a bunch & they last for days. Reheat in baggie in boiling water.

Again, sorry if its not what you are looking for. We still have lots of people here in Northeast without power, so I wasn't sure of the reason. Reason would help with answers.

Also, is this hot water from faucet OR will she have a hot pot to boil the water? If hot pot, all soups are great. Canned stews.

If just hot water from faucet, I don't know if it will get hot enough...and you'll still need something to mix these foods in. Hotpots are like $10......assuming you have electricity to use it.

I didn't know if she was using a woodstove or a campfire to boil the water in a pot if no power.

I took it from the OP's post, that she ONLY had hot water available. Pancake mix, and Bisquick mix wouldn't be very appetizing unless you had a way to cook the pancakes after mixing them up.

Does she have a travel iron? :rotfl2:

Instant mashed potatoes, only some brands though you pour the mix with the hot water and let it sit. Same thing with some Asian style noodle soups I usually buy at Trader Joes. DH also used some dried soup mixes that you use hot water. They come in variety of flavors and he thought they tasted good.

Go to a army navy store and buy the meals from them.
I think they are called MRE.
:rotfl2:

Hi, it's me, the OP.

The info is as follows: I plan to have a hot pot. I don't know yet about a fridge. I don't really want to do things like heating up canned chili or spaghetti in a hot pot, since I don't think I have the capacity to wash things well.

DD and I will be traveling to Australia for a competition, and I wanted to have some ideas of food that could easily be fixed in our room, for 2 reasons....1 is that I want to save some money and #2 is that some days after a competition, you just don;t want to go anywhere....you just want to collapse in your room

I purposely avoided giving info, since I didn't want this to turn into an entire discussion on why what I was looking for is inappropriate, and if you can't afford to go out to eat you shouldn't be going and so on........you know how threads like this can deterioate!!! But, I can also see why the extra info is needed.

I appreciate the suggestions....I never even thought of cous cous, for example, and I make it at home!!

SO, I guess it would be more accurate to ask for ideas for meals made with hot water, and also shelf stable things like PB or canned tuna, for example.

Julia

well, the info helps because now it gives more of a clue, like I doubt you want to pay to lug a bunch of canned soup from the US to Australia. ;) Also helps to know that you won't be bringing a cooler or any way to cool things off.

I totally understand the feeling of after a long day not wanting to go anywhere else and just wanting to make life easy. What about things like Luna Bars and peanut butter crackers? Sometimes some snacky stuff is enough. Applesauce containers might work too, a package of bagels, etc...

Try contacting your hotel and finding out if there will be a fridge and if they have grocery delivery. DH and I have stayed in suite hotels before and they offered grocery delivery and the price was even pretty reasonable.

If you bring a small thing of dishsoap and a sponge you could do things like mac & cheese in the hot pot.

We did a 2 week road trip in CA earlier this year & stayed in 5 hotels. We flew out there & then started the road trip. Every hotel had microwave for use either in lobby or in room. That said, we bought a bunch of food when we arrived just to have since we had no idea where we would be when we got hungry. Kept bread, peanut butter, jelly, chips & drinks in the car. We had brought a collapsible cooler. Lots of water & protein type snacks like nuts.

If you plan on bringing an American hot pot, make sure you bring a power converter for Australian power. :) Have fun on your trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter