• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food / snack stations on RunDisney marathon routes

Chrisizzle

Mouseketeer
I did a search and was surprised there isn’t anything current or active. (The most recent post was from 2013 and locked to replies).

I’m doing my first half-marathon next weekend at Disney World and trying to figure out snacks.

I did the 10k in January and am comfortable with the frequency of Disney’s water stations. The 10k didn’t have food stops but the post-run ‘meal’ wasn’t particularly generous.

I see the half-marathon has a food station around the 8-mile (13-km) mark.
1) What snacks are offered on RunDisney routes?
2) Is it a quick hand-off, or do you have to stop?
3) Can you grab as much as you need? Or is it 1-item per person?

I know I’ll bring my own selection, but wonder if that will be just-for-emergencies, or my best source/only source of energy.

Thanks all. Look forward to running with some of you.

They use sports beans now. I’ve never tried them before but heard they taste like jelly beans I think. They will have a ton of volunteers holding the bags out for you so they appear just as easy to grab as getting water or Powerade. Not sure about if you can grab more than one. If I’m wrong, I’m sure someone else here can correct me.

They use sports beans now. I’ve never tried them before but heard they taste like jelly beans I think. They will have a ton of volunteers holding the bags out for you so they appear just as easy to grab as getting water or Powerade. Not sure about if you can grab more than one. If I’m wrong, I’m sure someone else here can correct me.
Yep they are just jelly beans with sugar and sometimes caffeine. I use them during training and love them.

I would say theoretically you could grab two - one from one volunteer and another from another volunteer, but if everyone grabbed two packets of sports beans, they would probably run out for those at the back of the pack...

I did a search and was surprised there isn’t anything current or active. (The most recent post was from 2013 and locked to replies).

I’m doing my first half-marathon next weekend at Disney World and trying to figure out snacks.

I did the 10k in January and am comfortable with the frequency of Disney’s water stations. The 10k didn’t have food stops but the post-run ‘meal’ wasn’t particularly generous.

I know I’ll bring my own selection, but wonder if that will be just-for-emergencies, or my best source/only source of energy.

They are small bags of sports beans, maybe 6 or 7 in a bag. I usually grab one from 2 different volunteers passing them out as i go by. They really don't keep track or anything, but i think it would be rude to grab a handfull or something like that. Still you will see a bunch of people take them and then throw them on the ground and don't eat them. There will be a trail of sports bean litter along the route between miles 8 and 9. The snack boxes at the end of the race are likely the same as before. For the Princess, it was nachos, pretzels, applesauce, and a chia bar. Plus a banana if you want, and water/powerade. The drink stations are the same - approximately every mile.

I think people should just take one...I know in some races they have run out.

Someone can take my packet of Sports Beans! I hate them. I think they have a bitter taste. You're expecting Jelly Bellys, but then they're not. I carry either Cliff Blocks or Honey Stinger chews with me.

The 10k didn’t have food stops but the post-run ‘meal’ wasn’t particularly generous.

It’s the exact same *snack* box after the 5k, 10k, and Halfs. (Also for the now defunct 10 miler) I don’t know about the January marathon, though.

Don’t expect a meal; it’s a snack. :)

Yep they are just jelly beans with sugar and sometimes caffeine. I use them during training and love them.

My family has ingredient issues, and I have specific things I avoid, so I’ve done this research already and you might find it interesting.

From the specific SB site linked from the JB site...

“Sport Beans provide a source of easily digestible carbohydrate for fuel, the electrolytes sodium and potassium for proper fluid balance, and B1, B2, B3, and C vitamins for energy metabolism and good health.“

For the multi flavor pack:

027DDFF3-B6CE-4755-B9D4-1A228FA2F5BA.jpeg

(Not negating the caffeine mention. I just can’t do caffeine like that during runs. Tried the clif blok with caffeine for a different flavor once and though my heart was going to explode)

JellyBelly, from their website, pear flavor specifically because that’s the first same-flavor I ran across, but it’s typical:

“INGREDIENTS: SUGAR, CORN SYRUP, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, PEAR JUICE FROM CONCENTRATE, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF THE FOLLOWING: CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, COLOR ADDED, YELLOW 5 & 6 LAKE, BLUE 2 LAKE, RED 40, YELLOW 5, BLUE 1, TAPIOCA DEXTRIN, BEESWAX, CARNAUBA WAX, CONFECTIONER’S GLAZE.”

Different sugar source, different color sources, and added electrolytes. Definitely different. And awesome.

I think people should just take one...I know in some races they have run out.

Agreed.

It didn’t affect me because I don’t use gels, but a few years ago during Princess half by the time I got to that station they were entirely out of them. If I’d been relying on them it would have been bad.

But don’t rely on the beans. They are nowhere near a full-sized packet being given out. Bring your own.

They have two banana stations and one sample size sports beans station. I carry my own fuel, but those were the best bananas I ever had in my life. Those beans are a hazard after runners drop them all over the roadway so watch your step.

I would say theoretically you could grab two - one from one volunteer and another from another volunteer, but if everyone grabbed two packets of sports beans, they would probably run out for those at the back of the pack...

This happens so don't count on availability. I volunteered at a fuel stop when they still did gels, and we ran out because people took multiples.

I woul view these stations as emergency/supplemental to whatever you normally carry

A lot of good answers, and I will elaborate a bit.

For the half marathon the only non-liquid handed out is a small pack - 6 beans - of Jelly Belly Sport Beans about mile 7. I find the food stops to be more chaotic than the water stops with people either trying to grab more than one or not knowing what they are grabbing and then dropping them soon after grabbing them. The combination of flavors vary but expect some combination of sour apple, lemon, orange, grapefruit and grape. Pln on carrying your own fuel unless you are 100% certain that you can handle any flavor combination in the sport bean mix.

For race fuel plan to spend some money trying out different items and flavors. It might take a while to find what works for you. Standard items people like are strop waffles (Honey Stinger Waffles or other branding), gels, gummies (gummies, blocks or chews), beans or uncrustables. I would suggest trying items until you find at least two different items that work for you.

Post race the box is what it is, and is designed as an immediate fuel snack not a post race meal.

As you continue to train also focus on what your body can handle eating immediately after a long run. Some people can immediately handle real food, while others stick to bananas and sports drink for and then wait a bit before adding in anything else.

Yikes!!! Six Jelly Beans for a 21km run?

At that point, they shouldn’t bother having any food at all really.

I must be used to cycling events where the fuel stops are elaborate by comparison. Is this common for half marathon runs? Or is Disney’s offering particularly thin?

For my personal fuel... I just ordered four boxes of old school Powerbars to arrive before I check into my Disney hotel. They still work best for me and you can’t buy them in Canada anymore. So, this information gives me an excuse to stock up.

I must be used to cycling events where the fuel stops are elaborate by comparison. Is this common for half marathon runs? Or is Disney’s offering particularly thin?

This is not uncommon for road half marathon. When I've volunteered to man a stop for a local century bike ride the stops have a lot more stuff it seems to be more common for people to hang out in them. For a road races at the half distance many people won't stop at a nutrition station. If they grab something they'll usually eat it while walking.

I think the amount of nutrition needed for running is different. I know that working with the local XC team they don't even bring hydration for runs shorter than an hour. For half marathons I'll typically have a gu before the race and 1 gu during the race, but a lot of my running buddies will only take water/gatorade during a half and no fuel.

This is not uncommon for road half marathon. When I've volunteered to man a stop for a local century bike ride the stops have a lot more stuff it seems to be more common for people to hang out in them. For a road races at the half distance many people won't stop at a nutrition station. If they grab something they'll usually eat it while walking.

I think the amount of nutrition needed for running is different. I know that working with the local XC team they don't even bring hydration for runs shorter than an hour. For half marathons I'll typically have a gu before the race and 1 gu during the race, but a lot of my running buddies will only take water/gatorade during a half and no fuel.
Yeah, I only take liquids for any run or race shorter than 16 miles, but everyone is different. For full marathons I use e-Gels, and I carry them with me. I really don't eat course provided solids because they are typically not what I train with.

Yes, 6. I had a package from the expo that I opened this morning in order to count. DH gets to eat them.

The lack of fuel on course is common based on my limited experience. I have done two local half marathons in the last year and neither had food on course. Both had something available after (bagel and banana at one, granola bar, trail mix and shamrock cookies at the other).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter