• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Food Rut

YES!!! And my family says "this again." :rolleyes2 And my response is, you are more than welcome to make dinner.

I have found easy meals on Delish and Allrecipes, I type in easy weeknight meals. I go in spurts at trying new ones. Some weeks none, others 3. About 90% of the time it is filed under 'won't be making this again.' But finding that rare 10% is great!

Last edited:

The last couple of months it's been beef tacos, fish tacos, quesadillas, salmon, steak. Wash, rinse, repeat. Even I was getting tired of it.

The one good thing about it getting colder is it's now soup and stew season. Going to make red beans and rice and chili this weekend. Also saw a YouTube video on doing a turkey breast in the slow cooker and I'm going to give that a go.

Last edited:
I'm in one right now so I'm following this in hopes that people will post tips and recipes. My kids and I are all picky and we all like different things--I feel like a short-order cook when I have to modify meals based on everyone's preferences and it's frustrating! So I end up cooking the same things over and over until we're all sick of them.

Do you ever get into a supper food rut?, and if so how do you break it up? I'm so tried of the same 5 or 6 things to eat!
It's not the eating I'm bored with, it's the cooking. Due to limited time, energy and the tastes of my family, I usually only get a chance to do interesting things when we have company. Some weeknights I just can't bear the idea of doing another chicken breast dish or quick pasta or egg dish so I declare it "cereal and toast" night.

Last edited:
I'm in one right now so I'm following this in hopes that people will post tips and recipes. My kids and I are all picky and we all like different things--I feel like a short-order cook when I have to modify meals based on everyone's preferences and it's frustrating! So I end up cooking the same things over and over until we're all sick of them.
I cook things I like. If someone doesn't want to eat it, he (I'm the only female in the family) can make himself a sandwich.

Do you ever get into a supper food rut?, and if so how do you break it up? I'm so tried of the same 5 or 6 things to eat!
Yes. It doesn’t help that dh, and the kids are picky and they all like different things. There is not a lot of overlap. So frustrating.

Sounds like your families are perfect candidates for a menu planner. Sit down once a week as a family and plan out the menu for each day. Why should you be the only one deciding what to feed your family?

Yep all the time. I am not sure how you get out of it. I mean there are only so many things to make.

I literally live in a food rut. I cook for myself and I eat the same thing all week. I rotate through about four things: salads, scrambled eggs, rice and edamame, or buffalo chicken tenders. I suppliment that with ramen noodles for lazy nights. I have turkey or ham sandwiches for lunch 99% of the time as well.

I love trying new recipes and we can go months before repeating the same thing unless it’s a specific request from someone in the family. I get a lot of my recipes from skinnytaste. Thankfully none of us are very picky we just have to avoid shellfish (my son) and fresh water fish (my husband) because of allergies so I reserve those recipes for when someone is gone.

I get on pinterest and just search around for recipes for this I like to eat out and try those at home - and since we meal prep a ton I search out TONS of meal prep recipes so that we're eating different healthy things all the time so that we won't get bored and eat out instead.

I cruise food blogs for inspiration. Pioneer Woman is a great one for this -- very doable recipes with lots of photos -- and the comments can be very helpful, too. Ingredient list is totally accessible at most grocery stores. And PW's recipes are very, very adaptable. No need to follow exactly as written -- I've altered the protein, added tons more veggies, altered the dairy, etc. -- comments can be helpful for this, too. Even if I don't end up cooking something from her blog, her posts are usually quite amusing -- so that brightens the day.

The last couple of months it's been beef tacos, fish tacos, quesadillas, salmon, steak. Wash, rinse, repeat. Even I was getting tired of it.

The one good thing about it getting colder is it's now soup and stew season. Going to make red beans and rice and chili this weekend. Also saw a YouTube video on doing a turkey breast in the slow cooker and I'm going to give that a go.
So far I’ve made kale and sausage soup, pho, minestrone, black bean, and butternut squash is this week. My kids don’t want to see anything on the menu more than twice a month, especially if it’s a favorite. They remind me about the time I made quiche once a week for a month. I like to cook and they’ve almost grown out of all of their pickiness (all have finally embraced beans).

Have you tried any of those delivery services like Home Chef or comparable ones? You can pick the meals you want based on what you like and the prep time, and they send you all the ingredients and directions. Some of the services also send you disposable trays to bake things in to make cleanup easier. I've never tried one of these services myself, but the food looks pretty good from what I have seen online and they certainly have a variety of options.

Have you tried any of those delivery services like Home Chef or comparable ones? You can pick the meals you want based on what you like and the prep time, and they send you all the ingredients and directions. Some of the services also send you disposable trays to bake things in to make cleanup easier. I've never tried one of these services myself, but the food looks pretty good from what I have seen online and they certainly have a variety of options.

We did Blue Apron for a few months last year. We eventually dropped it because of its price, but it was a great way to get variety into our evening meals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter