Food Allergies: sit-down vs. buffet / For those who care to 'dish' about WDW dishes..

kimmar067

TAGS?? It's all about the 'likes' now!
Since my DH has been diagnosed with Celiac (guten/wheat intolerance) I am a little leery about making PS's. I have been assured by CRO that they [the chefs] are sensitive to all dietary needs. However, I really wanted to experience O'Hana's, but I would imagine that all the entrees are made with soy sauce, which contains wheat! Am I better off making ressies at buffet-type restaurants, or not??!?!

Edit:
For anyone who has diet restrictions, come share them, along with your Disney experiences pertaining to eating at Disney restaurants -Thanks -

My DS is gfcf...gluten/casein free. I've checked out the menu at Ohanas and it looks like most of the items are okay. Also, with the soy...some brands are wheat free. The other restaurants that looked good as far as gfcf goes...Boma...they actually serve quinoa cereal, Bongos, and Norway and Morocco in Epcot.

I don't have a lot of advice, but I do have a friend wo went to the buffet at AKL, Boma, with their child who has the same condition as your DH. When they told their server, he then told the head chef who personally came out and took the family around the buffet, telling them exactly what was in each dish!
They were VERY impressed and appreciative and said they had a wonderful meal there, with plety available for their child with Celiac.

I work with a gal who has the same condition. Someone else posted here at Thanksgiving time asking about this. So you might try a search too.

Just so happens for the other poster, I asked at Ohana's on Thanksgiving Day while going into Kona Cafe for our meal. (Kona does not have a special guten free menu, I was told.)
OHana's also does not have a special guten free menu (as some WDW restaurants do) according to the CM there.
The CM said to make sure the diet restiction was on the PS. She said every day their chef looks at the PS' specifically for diet restrictions.
I would make sure it is listed on your PS and mention it when you check in too. You should be fine.

I will repeat my story I told the other poster too. My co-worker ate at San Angel Inn. When she asked to speak to the chef and why, the server immediately gave her a special (limited) menu. She was very impressed and pleased.
The server also warned her she could eat the corn chips, but not the salsa. (The salsa contains wheat as a thickener.)

It is difficult to eat guten free. But I think WDW chefs are very prepared for all special dietary needs.

Enjoy! :)

There is a wheat-free soy sauce called Tamari Sauce and the chefs at Ohana will make dishes for you with that. My DS is also wheat/gluten intolerant and recently had some wings and fried rice there and was also able to eat the salad with honey lime dressing. We ate at Chef Mickey's, Boma, Ohana, Garden Grill, Cinderella's Royal Table, etc., and every restaurant was able to accomodate us.

DeeCeeSW said:
There is a wheat-free soy sauce called Tamari Sauce and the chefs at Ohana will make dishes for you with that. My DS is also wheat/gluten intolerant and recently had some wings and fried rice there and was also able to eat the salad with honey lime dressing. We ate at Chef Mickey's, Boma, Ohana, Garden Grill, Cinderella's Royal Table, etc., and every restaurant was able to accomodate us.

:cool1: :Pinkbounc :cool1: :jumping4:

I use Tamari Soy Sauce (I purchased it at Whole Foods) whenever I cook Chinese food. I really did NOT want to miss a chance to dine at O'Hana's, and now it looks like we WILL....... :cloud9: YIPPEE!!

...please transfer this thread to "DISabilities Board"....thanks!

My son, 11, also is gluten free/casein free and we had wonderful experiences with the restaurants at WDW. I had them make a note on the PS's, called and talked with the chef's a week prior to our trip (at the suggestion of the person making the PS, who gave me the #'s), reconfirmed them and then mentioned it to the CM who sat us. The chef at each restaurant came out and talked with us about what he could and couldn't have. I couldn't have been more pleased with how we were treated and how much they cared that my son have a meal that he would enjoy.

....if you don't mind, could you mention some of the places at which you ate? Also, did your son eat mostly 'meat'n'potatoes' kinda entrees??

kimmar067 said:
....if you don't mind, could you mention some of the places at which you ate? Also, did your son eat mostly 'meat'n'potatoes' kinda entrees??

I don't mind at all! We ate at Cindy's Royal Table for lunch and the chef made special chicken nuggets and waffle fries. He also offered several more side dishes which I don't remember because my son wasn't at all interested in them. We had PS's at Hollywood and Vine and I'd talked with the chef and he was all set for us to come, preparing to use alternatives to wheat to cook whatever was available to the regular diners in its own dedicated pan, oil, etc. The best service we got though was from the Garden Grill. The chef came out and talked with me for quite awhile, as well as the server. They wanted to know loads of info on the way we needed things prepared so that they would not only get it right but also to know more for the next time someone like us came in (our son has high functioning autism). I even gave the chef some serving suggestions to make it more pleasing to my son's idea of what he'd like to eat and she was very thankful for that. It made all the difference in the world!

At each of the places my son was only planning on meat and potatoes but the chef's were more than prepared to offer a wide variety of foods that my son, if he had a broader diet, would have been able to eat. He tends to self-limit himself to a small assortment of foods. But I was just so pleased with the way the people took care of us and wanted us to have a good meal regardless of the limitations.

Every time my family goes to WDW with a disabled child we realize just how magical it really is! :wizard:

Just wanted to add that my son is also on a GFCF diet and we also had great luck at restaurants. At Crystal Palace in MK, the chef walked us through the buffet and told us how everything was prepared and what my son could eat. He even made some special GFCF rolls and offered to make brownies (my son didn't want them). At Mama Melrose's in MGM, the chef came to the table and talked to my son and asked him what he wanted. My son asked for grilled chicken (he got it!) and spaghetti. Well, they didn't have spaghettit, but they did have brown rice pasta which my son liked!

Figment1964 said:
I don't mind at all! We ate at Cindy's Royal Table for lunch and the chef made special chicken nuggets and waffle fries. He also offered several more side dishes which I don't remember because my son wasn't at all interested in them. We had PS's at Hollywood and Vine and I'd talked with the chef and he was all set for us to come, preparing to use alternatives to wheat to cook whatever was available to the regular diners in its own dedicated pan, oil, etc. The best service we got though was from the Garden Grill. The chef came out and talked with me for quite awhile, as well as the server. They wanted to know loads of info on the way we needed things prepared so that they would not only get it right but also to know more for the next time someone like us came in (our son has high functioning autism). I even gave the chef some serving suggestions to make it more pleasing to my son's idea of what he'd like to eat and she was very thankful for that. It made all the difference in the world!

At each of the places my son was only planning on meat and potatoes but the chef's were more than prepared to offer a wide variety of foods that my son, if he had a broader diet, would have been able to eat. He tends to self-limit himself to a small assortment of foods. But I was just so pleased with the way the people took care of us and wanted us to have a good meal regardless of the limitations.

Every time my family goes to WDW with a disabled child we realize just how magical it really is! :wizard:

.....my DH, being Italian, absolutely CANNIT function with his pasta. I cook it for him twice a week, using the brown rice pasta - ha actually thinks it tastes BETTER than traditional wheat or semolina pasta!

I've had wonderful GFCF meals at several restaurants in WDW. It's been a pleasure to be able to eat in a restaurant alongside my family and be full.

Places I've been to include: Crystal Palace, Cindy's (breakfast), Whispering Canyon Cafe, Garden Grill, Chef Mickeys, 1900 Park Fair (breakfast and dinner), princess breakfast in Norway.

i always call the chef a couple of weeks out. here's my phone # list - not 100% sure it's still accurate.

MAGIC KINGDOM Executive Chef 407-824-5967
GRAND FLORIDIAN 1900 PARK FAIR 407-824-2334
EPCOT Executive Chef, 407-560-7483
MGM STUDIOS Executive Chef 407-560-1347
ANIMAL KINGDOM Executive Chef 407-938-2441

Just spoke with the exec, chef at AK regarding donald's breakfastosaurus coming up SOON!!!. i can't wait!

not only do i avoid gluten and dairy, but nightshade family (potato, tomato, pepper, etc.) and many other common ingredients. The chefs have almost always done a great job. there was only one mix-up where the chef i spoke with before leaving home told me the turkey they'd serve me would be a "real" turkey, but it ended up being a processed product with additives i couldn't eat. i ended up eating sliced apples and steamed veggies for that meal, but am impressed that they didn't try to "fool" me. i believe they take it very seriously and trust that there will be no surprise ingredients.

another note, once they even e-mailed me the ingredients for the turkey legs at the vendor carts so i could see if i would be ok to eat them.

i'd recommend calling in advance if you know when/where you'll be eating (they can even note it in your PS), and definitely asking to speak with a chef once you're seated.

-dj

p.s., not all tamari is wheat free. the brand i buy sells a "regular" tamari and also a wheat free version.

...wow, thanks alot! Looks like I've got some phone call to make. Also, thanks for the info re: the turkey legs. We were just talking about them on Saturday....how could one go to WDW and not splurge on one of THOSE bay-bees???!?!?!

I just wanted to add that I was really impressed with Disneys attention to food allergies. We ate at Chef Mickey's one night last year with DS who is lactose intolerant. The chef spoke with me when we arrived to find out what DS could eat and prepared a special meal just for him, including dessert. Since then we found out that DD also has food allergies - milk, eggs, nuts and fish. We are planning our next trip to Disney in Dec and plan to eat at the character meals every day to have at least one meal where our kids can eat without us worrying about them.

Has anyone had similar experiences at the counter service restaurants? DS was much less sensitive to food than DD is, so we were not as concerned last time.

I have a very severe fish allergy and have always had very good dining experiences at WDW. I ask that my allergy be noted on my PS & usually a chef will come out and talk to me. My allergy is so severe that I have to make sure there is no cross-contamination of cooking surfaces, common frying oils, or traces of anything like Worstershire sauce. They will always check the recipes for me - amazing how many marinades, salad dressings, sauces, etc. would not be safe for me. Disney always comes through. We have even been able to eat at Japan's Teppanyaki dining room because with notice, they will thoroughly clean the grill/table & cook my food seperately before any fish is cooked. The wait staff & chefs have always been gracious and accomodating. Special 5 stars to Artist Point, Le Cellier and Brown Derby. At counter service I do avoid fried foods - those french fries may have been cooked in the same vat of hot oil as someone else's shrimp & it is not worth the risk.

add breakfastosaurus to the list of places you can go. we had a nice breakfast there last week (for me, that translates to a spinach omelet, steamed broccoli and carrots, and fresh fruit). the chef told me they use a generic vegetable oil but that he'd get some olive oil for me from another place. also, in addition to a whole apple and pear, they brought in slices of watermelon for me, since i can't eat the cantaloupe or honey dew that they usually serve. (another guest came up to me to ask where i'd found it, since his wife wanted some. too.) Felt good to be able to eat in a restaurant, although i should have waited longer before going on the primeval whirl!

but, usually when DD ate at a counter service place, i just watched, or pulled out an orgran bar or dipped some veggies or taro chips into some homemade black bean hummus that i'd brought into the parks in a small softsided cooler. never had any problems bringing food in, but if anyone had questioned it, i knew i could tell them the name of the person i'd spoke with at the executive chef's office for MK awhile back who told me it would be ok to bring food in because of my special needs.

dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter