Fold out couch bed vs Murphy bed - which is more comfortable?

Girl of the South

DIS Veteran
This is referring to the beds in the 5 person cabins and I KNOW it blocks the balcony to some extent. Only asking about COMFORT. I was impressed that the couch bed 'flips' and is an actual mattress. Never had a cabin with a Murphy bed so wondered which one would be more comfortable. Normal sized woman. Not tall. And I suspect one could leave the curtain open a bit to watch the sunrise . . . . thanks!

This is referring to the beds in the 5 person cabins and I KNOW it blocks the balcony to some extent. Only asking about COMFORT. I was impressed that the couch bed 'flips' and is an actual mattress. Never had a cabin with a Murphy bed so wondered which one would be more comfortable. Normal sized woman. Not tall. And I suspect one could leave the curtain open a bit to watch the sunrise . . . . thanks!
The Murphy bed and sofa bed (as well as the bunk bed) are all regular twin-size mattresses. I would say they're all equally comfortable.

My daughter prefers the sofa to the murphy or the bunk. In the concierge 1 bedroom, she prefers the Murphy over the sofa bed.

My daughter prefers the sofa to the murphy. In the concierge 1 bedroom, she prefers the Murphy over the sofa bed.
This. The sofa beds in concierge on the Dream class (even the regular verandah style rooms) are regular pullout sofa beds, and they are awful. Bar in the middle, thin mattress, etc. It’s ridiculous that those cabins are so expensive and have some of the least comfortable beds I’ve ever slept in.

My DD was not a fan of the twin beds. We asked our stateroom host for egg crate toppers for the couch and upper berth beds and it did help a bit.

A friend got black and blues on her arm the one night she slept on the Murphy bed. She apparently knocked into the wood sides as she slept.

I prefer the couch bed.....but I think it depends on how old the mattress is too.
DGD loved the Murphy, but she like looking out the porthole.

They all seemed about the same to us. The same type of mattress from what I saw. All of my kids liked them all equally.

An adult in my family who has slept on both much prefers the sofa over the Murphy bed as far as comfort goes.

I asked my sister who has slept on both and she said she greatly preferred the sofa bed for two reasons. First she thought it was more comfortable. She also preferred the layout being perpendicular to the ship, which would be true of most but not all of the sofa beds. She said she dealt with the movement of the ship better that way.

Thanks for all the replies. I know both are at least better than the pullout sofa beds. (Hopefully) a 7 night cruise so I guess I can try them both. Never thought about being perpendicular? Although there are some business class airline seats that are backwards. And so your head is higher than your feet because that's the tilt of the plane. I'm not sure I want to fly backwards but it seemed like there was actually a perk to it for sleeping. Thanks all!

We asked our stateroom host for egg crate toppers for the couch and upper berth beds and it did help a bit.

Didn't know this was available. Thanks for the tip.
We will have both the Murphy bed and both bunks in use in Nov for our family of 5.
Good to know this is an option.

Didn't know this was available. Thanks for the tip.
We will have both the Murphy bed and both bunks in use in Nov for our family of 5.
Good to know this is an option.
I discovered this in another trip report. Our stateroom host didn’t know they existed but was able to hunt them down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter