Flying with Young Children - Paying to Choose Your Seats

I totally get the $$$ pain....we fly as a party of four or five and the price seems crazy. That said, I pay what it takes to pick seats. When available, I often pay to board early. I can't stand the idea of worrying about what seats we will get (together plus I need an aisle) and whether or not there will be overhead space for our carry-ons. As much as a special vacation already costs, I prefer to start the trip not standing in a long line to get on the plane, sitting where I want with my bag overhead and (often) extra legroom. Vacation mode 8-)

No life isn’t fair. And I wouldn’t move. What is not fair is some people who have kids playing the card that kids entitle them not to live by the same rules the rest of is do. For a parent knowingly NOT to purchase seat assignments or EBCI because it’s “too expensive “ and the expect the airline to ask for volunteers for those who did pay is not fair and bad parenting. Most airlines have the statement if you want your party to sit together- you need to purchase seats (or take the free ones). Seeing people say I bought Basic Economy fare and was never told we couldn’t get advanced seats is untrue as prior to purchase it states you agree to that (I believe it was on message board here or on a cruise one where mom stated it never said that and it clearly did).

Add the expense of seats into your budget and if you can’t afford cut costs from a character meal or souvenirs.

What isn’t fair is selfish parents expecting others to change seats for them .

Last edited:
When our (5) were little, we just made sure that the kids were with one of us, no need to have the whole family sit together. Once the kids were older (10+), we just made sure that each child had a family member to sit with.

When the discount airlines started making a dent the other airlines realized they needed to "unbundle" their fares to compete. So think of these fare classes in another way, prior to the unbundling you probably would have paid equal to or more than the amount you would now pay for flight/bags and seat fees but you would feel like it was free; it wasn't it was just included.

Its not that you have to pay more to sit together, its that you are choosing not to take advantage of a discounted fare because it doesn't meet your need to sit together. People who choose not to pre select a seat get a discount, just like those who don't check a bag save $ that way.

I price out a few airlines, add in seat fees if necessary, checked bag charges, some even have carry on bag charges - and then see what flights/airlines work best for each trip.

There was a time when I would have volunteered to move, or my husband would, however those days are now over. I cannot sit near the window, and DH needs an aisle or a seat with additional leg room. I pay for that. I have upgraded to business class on SW when I needed to be sure I would get our choice (MCO is filled with families)

I stopped complaining a lng time ago about "fair" or costs. IF I need it I pay for it. I don't roll the dice and hope for the best because that seldom will occur.

It stinks, but I'd just suck it up and pay. I flew to Orlando on Southwest with my two girls last spring, they were just shy of 9 and 11. I didn't pay for Earlybird Check In because I figured worst case scenario, they'd be fine sitting next to a stranger for two hours- they're perfectly independent and capable kids so while it didn't thrill me I knew it would be fine (and that there was a good chance if I checked in right at 24 hours I'd at least get 2 seats together for them). So I checked in asap, got mid-end B group, and got the last three seats together. Great. What I didn't know is that on the way down my oldest was going to have major ear pressurization issues (she hadn't flown since she was 4) and was hysterically sobbing for about 20-25 minutes.

On the way home, I checked in the second I could and got the end of the C group. She was in a complete panic about having to sit next to a stranger while dealing with intense ear pain. I got there and realized the reason we were so far back is there was a giant group of high school kids on our plane. I went to the ticket counter and explained our situation- I told them had I known she was going to have issues I obviously would have just paid but I had no idea and was really worried about her sitting alone. They took pity on us and gave us a medical pre-board (and I really didn't feel that guilty bumping ahead of 50 high school kids who probably didn't care so much about middle seats) but next time, I'll just pay the fee. It's not worth the worry or asking people who paid to move, etc.

We flew as a family of 5 on Delta and paid regular price (not economy) to be seated together.

On a flight a couple of years ago coming home from Orlando (also on Delta) there was a mom who was separated from her kids who happened to be sitting next to us. Mom threw a gigantic fit about it, wanted my husband's seat, was super rude to my husband when he initially pointed out his kids in the row next to him and that we were together. Delta ended up moving my husband to first class (as if he was going to say no. LOL) but at the same time, we had paid to sit together as a family, and this mom who did not pay threw a massive fit and to keep the peace my husband moved. So in the end it separated OUR family and left me to deal with 3 kids including an infant alone without the help of my husband. First world problem, of course, but really, if you are already paying for a Disney vacation, just pay to sit your family together if it's important to you.

We flew as a family of 5 on Delta and paid regular price (not economy) to be seated together.

On a flight a couple of years ago coming home from Orlando (also on Delta) there was a mom who was separated from her kids who happened to be sitting next to us. Mom threw a gigantic fit about it, wanted my husband's seat, was super rude to my husband when he initially pointed out his kids in the row next to him and that we were together. Delta ended up moving my husband to first class (as if he was going to say no. LOL) but at the same time, we had paid to sit together as a family, and this mom who did not pay threw a massive fit and to keep the peace my husband moved. So in the end it separated OUR family and left me to deal with 3 kids including an infant alone without the help of my husband. First world problem, of course, but really, if you are already paying for a Disney vacation, just pay to sit your family together if it's important to you.

Just one more example of someone who feels that her needs and wants trump yours, no matter that she chose not to pay to have her needs or want secured.

We have 4 girls so I can understand your frustration. We have always added the price of seats into the cost of flying as it is our responsibility to make sure we are seated with our kids. It sucks BUT that's life. It really is no different than my mother who will not fly in the back of a plane. She has to be seated in the front or she wont fly... so she either pays for her seat or tough luck. I will say that flying today is so inexpensive compared to twenty years ago. I have our oldest dd's first airplane ticket. It was almost 650.00 to fly to Orlando from Pittsburgh. I haven't paid that in many, many, years.

For the OP I realize that you just wanted to vent and I get it. I hate that it seems there are all these little extra fees everywhere, it makes determining the cost of a vacation more difficult (you can’t just look up the price of the ticket you have to also research the fees, etc) and it means that you may not end up budgeting properly because you forgot to consider some additional fee.

I also think that if an adult and a child under the age of 10 are traveling they need to just seat them together and address younger travelers in their algorithms- I know I personally don’t want to be seated next to someone else’s 8 year old (maybe technically old enough to fly alone or sit alone but I’d end up feeling responsible for them) and I definitely don’t want to sit next to someone’s toddler without the adult that is with them there! Airlines need to account for that and have a solution because that just becomes an uncomfortable situation for everyone- especially the child.

And yes, if traveling alone I’d give up my seat so a parent can stay with a child, I may ask for an adult beverage or two as compensation but I’d rather move then play babysitter during the flight.

Just curious, what is your concern on the 7 year old sitting solo? I believe most airlines allow unaccompanied minors from age 5+ though I'm not positive. I'm sure if you prepped your 7 year old to be on their own (and maybe the 5 year old too) and had a backpack with their snack/water bottle/activities or whatever, they might handle it totally okay. I feel like airplanes are a "safe" situation for a kid to be in a different row. They can't wander off, you're likely able to physically see them (or at least the back of their head) and so you know they're safe. We've also always had the nicest people next to my kids when they've had to sit solo, most people I think are happy to help out with ordering their drink from flight attendant, etc.

I DO 100% get your frustration. My 4 year old has had to sit separately from us on several flights though, and it's been fine. I was flying with her 2 younger siblings and because of the amount of oxygen masks, she hasn't been able to be in our row.

I had a major issue with Alaska Airlines several months ago, they had not only the 4 year old separate but also the 2 year old, and this was after we paid for (and selected) seats that included seat assignments. THey refused to budge (the airplane model had been changed so the seats had gotten scrambled around). On the way to our destination (Hawaii, so a 6 hr flight), the kids were at least nearby us and we were able to work it out (someone was willing to change so we could be by the 2 year old). However, I called Alaska pretty upset and they assured is it wouldn't happen on the way home, they'd fixed the assignments.... and yet when we got to the airport, now our 4 year old was 17 rows in front of us and the little guy (age 2) was on his own a few rows back. My husband and I were also in different rows so we switched around so at least he was in the seat behind one of us. They did NOTHING to help us and it was really stressful. What was worse, there was an extra seat next to the 4 year old and they didn't even want to let us sit in it because it was a more expensive seat and they were wanting to charge us an upgrade fee to sit there (even though no one was booked in it). In the end, a kind flight attendant allowed one of us to sit there til my daughter fell asleep (a red eye, so on take off). The woman seated next to her helped wake her up and get her ready to deplane at the end of the flight.

Moral of the story: Even if you do get to select your seats, don't count on it if you're flying Alaska (we won't fly them again because of the experience). Also to the person saying "You shouldn't expect to go with the cheap ticket and get what you want"... sometimes it isn't the customer's fault, and it's not being cheap. I hope people are kind to kids seated alone regardless and I think most people really are.

I'd say look at it a different way. It's not that it will cost $300-400 more, but if you chose to risk it you could save $300-400. The choice is totally up to you, save they money or not. I chose to know where I am sitting over saving $50±. My policy at work is we pay for Main cabin fare, I don't expect my team members to go for the Saver rate nor will I pay for First Class.

Just curious, what is your concern on the 7 year old sitting solo? I believe most airlines allow unaccompanied minors from age 5+ though I'm not positive. I'm sure if you prepped your 7 year old to be on their own (and maybe the 5 year old too) and had a backpack with their snack/water bottle/activities or whatever, they might handle it totally okay. I feel like airplanes are a "safe" situation for a kid to be in a different row. They can't wander off, you're likely able to physically see them (or at least the back of their head) and so you know they're safe. We've also always had the nicest people next to my kids when they've had to sit solo, most people I think are happy to help out with ordering their drink from flight attendant, etc.

I DO 100% get your frustration. My 4 year old has had to sit separately from us on several flights though, and it's been fine. I was flying with her 2 younger siblings and because of the amount of oxygen masks, she hasn't been able to be in our row.

I had a major issue with Alaska Airlines several months ago, they had not only the 4 year old separate but also the 2 year old, and this was after we paid for (and selected) seats that included seat assignments. THey refused to budge (the airplane model had been changed so the seats had gotten scrambled around). On the way to our destination (Hawaii, so a 6 hr flight), the kids were at least nearby us and we were able to work it out (someone was willing to change so we could be by the 2 year old). However, I called Alaska pretty upset and they assured is it wouldn't happen on the way home, they'd fixed the assignments.... and yet when we got to the airport, now our 4 year old was 17 rows in front of us and the little guy (age 2) was on his own a few rows back. My husband and I were also in different rows so we switched around so at least he was in the seat behind one of us. They did NOTHING to help us and it was really stressful. What was worse, there was an extra seat next to the 4 year old and they didn't even want to let us sit in it because it was a more expensive seat and they were wanting to charge us an upgrade fee to sit there (even though no one was booked in it). In the end, a kind flight attendant allowed one of us to sit there til my daughter fell asleep (a red eye, so on take off). The woman seated next to her helped wake her up and get her ready to deplane at the end of the flight.

Moral of the story: Even if you do get to select your seats, don't count on it if you're flying Alaska (we won't fly them again because of the experience). Also to the person saying "You shouldn't expect to go with the cheap ticket and get what you want"... sometimes it isn't the customer's fault, and it's not being cheap. I hope people are kind to kids seated alone regardless and I think most people really are.

OMG I would be furious if I paid for selecting seats and then ended up not next to my 2 or 4 year old. Personally I would have just switched with you as I would not have wanted to deal with some else’s 2 year old. That’s is just stressful for you and the person they put your kids next to.

Personally, I wouldn’t want even my 6 year old separated from us on the flight. She gets nervous easily and I doubt she would handle that well.

Anyway, thank you for posting as I will make sure I never book with Alaska airlines, ever.

I have never paid to pick my seat with delta - granted, we always fly business or first class

See that's the thing - you do pay it is just included in your fare. The different fare classes offer increased "amenities".

Folks that have a traveling party that needs to sit together just can't take advantage of a discounted fare that won't accommodate that. For me its my MIL, she needs an aisle and at least one travel mate seated with her - I can't book discounted fares for her as they don't meet her needs.

I always pay for seat selection even now that my children are teenagers. I also paid for seats when my kids could have been a lap child. I prefer comfort and traveling/sitting together as a family.

have had this happen on other airlines also. so even with paying for seat selection on any airline I would count on unless I checked often

OMG I would be furious if I paid for selecting seats and then ended up not next to my 2 or 4 year old. Personally I would have just switched with you as I would not have wanted to deal with some else’s 2 year old. That’s is just stressful for you and the person they put your kids next to.

Personally, I wouldn’t want even my 6 year old separated from us on the flight. She gets nervous easily and I doubt she would handle that well.

Anyway, thank you for posting as I will make sure I never book with Alaska airlines, ever.
not with a 2 year old but I have had other airlines also move paid for seat so not next to my kids. only problem with a 6 year old is they are old enough to fly by self and they will not ask for people to change seats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter