Flying with Videocamera?

Simba's Mom

<font color=green>everything went to "H*** in a ha
I've never brought my videocamera to WDW before. Is there any problem with bringing it on the airplane? I wouldn't think you'd want to pack and check it. Any tips anyone can give me would help.

I have brought my videocamera with me many times over the years and have had no problems. Of course this we pre-9/11, I am going on vacation in a few days and plan on bringing it along. Just be prepared to open up the carrying case and have it inspected and even turned on. I don't think there will be any problem with it.

I just got back a few weeks ago from LA, flying out of LAX where they've had a fair share of trouble lately.
The shooting they had was the week before I was there and while security was very tight, they weren't over-reacting with things like video cameras and stuff like that.
I had MUCH more trouble getting thru security with the *stuff* I brought.
I was going out there to sell some small antiques and had everything in my carry-on....in particular was a pottery tile and the xray machine was NOT happy with that. LOL I ended up having to empty my antiques onto the little table so they could physically handle everything...if memory serves me I had to do this on 3 occasions. I won't be doing any more antique selling trips via the air.

I'm sure you'll have no problem with your camera....

We flew to Las Vegas at the end of July and took the video camera, still camera and a laptop on the plane and even taped while we were flying. No problems whatsoever with security except for my sister, who carried the laptop, got pulled aside going and coming. They never made us open the cases on anything, but don't count on not having to. Be sure your batteries are charged so if they ask you to turn it on you can. I would never check any expensive electronics, way too much of a chance that something will happen to it.

Originally posted by Simba's Mom
I wouldn't think you'd want to pack and check it. Any

definately dont check it. They (those special people who are 'keeping us safe' and man the xray machines...) WILL most likely steal it if you do.

the airlines are well aware but do nothing about it since they exclude photo and video equipment from their liability.

just be sure you know how to work it! My friends were flying down to Florida in March and they took their new video camera with them on board, figuring they had 3 hours to read the directions and figure out how to use it....

Well, when they were at security in PVD, the agent asked them to open it and turn it on, my friend told the agent it was new and he didn't really know how to work it... The agent said, "I have one just like it and although I can't turn it on for you, I can tell you how to do it" and instructed him how to turn it on... and gave him some more pointers about using the camera while checking it out (security wise)...

I suppose not all agents would be so understanding and patient... but just goes to show you really should know how to use the equipment.

I always carry ours on in the camcorder bag. Pre 9/11 never a problem at all. I usually stuff the bag with batteries, digital camera, film, reg camera, tickets, and anything else i feel i need during the trip. I hope there isnt a problem this time, but im ready to turn it on if need be.

I have traveled PHL to Tampa many times with video camera, sometimes in a carry on bag and sometime just carrying it. I have never been asked to even open the bag. It just depends on what is going on at each airport. Security in PHL has increased, TPA is very strict. Also traveled through Denver and they are very lax. Good luck and have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter