Flying with toddler/carseat ?

While we are on this topic, what does everyone do re: car seats when they rent a car service to the port, such as Happy Limo? My kids will be 8, 6 and almost 4 at the time...

I know that a car accident can technically happen anywhere, but we worry more about the "odds". We've never taken one on the plane--cannot think of a time when it would have helped--as long as one is buckled during turbulence. But we do rent them for the MCO transfer to the airport--thinking major highway accident. We haven't done anything for the Disney buses--just try not to think about it--how could you realistically get a booster on board those buses???? The Disney buses are the only times kids haven't been in a carseat!

There is a huge thread on the Family board about car seats and disney transportation that also talks about airplane seat use.

We have flown with both car seat and CARES harness. The CARES harness is great if you don't need a car seat when you get there. Having our car seat on the plane has been a godsend though - we have wiggly kids and a very long flight to WDW. A comfortable and familiar place to sleep is great. But, we have also had a number of emergency landings in which a belt only would not have been helpful for one so little. Those experiences were terrifying (and before we had kids), and I can't imagine being in one and worrying about if my child might slip from the seat.

There is a huge thread on the Family board about car seats and disney transportation that also talks about airplane seat use.

We have flown with both car seat and CARES harness. The CARES harness is great if you don't need a car seat when you get there. Having our car seat on the plane has been a godsend though - we have wiggly kids and a very long flight to WDW. A comfortable and familiar place to sleep is great. But, we have also had a number of emergency landings in which a belt only would not have been helpful for one so little. Those experiences were terrifying (and before we had kids), and I can't imagine being in one and worrying about if my child might slip from the seat.

Emergency Landings:eek: I'm a nervous flyer anyhow ,everytime I feel turbulance I start praying.Flying makes me think of dying everytime, but I'd rather fly for 2 hours than be in a van with our 4 kids for 16+ hours (all girls):scared1: I'd prefer not to think of emergency landings

My DH is in the aviation industry...

His rule is if DD has to be in a car seat in a car, she has to be in one on an airplane. I would agree we only travel with 1 child, so lugging stuff through an airport is easier for us. But for safety's sake I would bring it. And the thought of renting a seat from a car rental company grosses me out, yuck....but that's just me :upsidedow

DD is now 6 and we too are HUGE fans of the Cares belt. We usually ask to be let on the plane "first" so we don't have to disturb anyone while hooking it up. We fly different carriers all the time and they have always been accommodating.

Any time that we have brought a car seat, we have used it on the plane, not so much I am concerned about the safety on the plane, but rather I do not want to check a car seat. Once a car seat has been tossed around, it's integrity could have changed totally and is no longer safe for use. This is the reason why insurance companies will replace car seats that have been in accidents regardless if there is any visible damage to the car seat (at least that is the case in Canada). If we are not able to use it on the plane, I just don't bother bringing one.
For the person that is using Happy Limo, I wish that I brought my own car seat, their car seats are terrible. And they expect you to install it yourself, with no manuals/instructions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter