Flying Swoop in the summer

KatAlysmom

Earning My Ears
I have no experience with Swoop. I'm looking ahead to August and flights from Winnipeg to Orlando only happen on Saturdays. Is it likely that they offer more closer to the dates? They are sure affordable!

I am looking at flights for July with Swoop too. I do not think they will add more dates. It seems that they only do one flight a week. Right now they offer Friday flights. The price is very reasonable but when you start paying for bags and choosing your seat, the price does increase a bit. I think the price is bound to go up as well because they just released these dates. I booked Free Dining today and am now worried about crowds and the heat! I have never been in the summer before.

I can't with a clear conscience let this post go unanswered. You need to remember that with only one flight a week you could end up without a way south or home and no recourse. All swoop would need to do is put you on the next available flight they offer, which in this case is a week or more . Like mentioned the extra fees added on increase that fare as well. Most cases will be fine but our daughter flew with them last summer and both flights were a disaster, hours delayed, no communication from swoop, and the way home they switched out the plane for a smaller one and not everyone was even able to fly!

I'm sure you'll hear other reports of great flights but personally I'd never go with one that only flies once a week.

We have flown on Swoop several times now, usually from Edmonton to Hamilton and back. It sure is handy when visiting our family in the Niagara region compared to flying into YYZ. Of all our flights only the last one, just this past Tuesday coming home, have we had any issues at all. Our plane was diverted and stuck somewhere, probably in the mayhem Montreal experienced this week. That's my best guess. Anyway we were informed by email very early on the day (for an 8:45 PM departure) that the flight was delayed for 4 hours while they brought in another plane for us. We were a little later than that leaving but arrived at YEG only a little later than expected.

I believe the once a week schedule is pretty standard for Swoop in the summer on the MCO routes. For YEG in the fall, winter and spring, there are two per week, Mondays and Fridays. @Donald- my hero is right, flying a smaller airline with a limited fleet and schedule has some inherent risks but really if it's what you're willing to pay or what you can afford, I'd certainly do it. For our (Alberta) March break you can get a pair of Swoop tickets for $1300 today. WJ would be $3555 for what is basically the same nonstop flight. Both fares are before seat selection/baggage fees, etc.

During non-peak travelling times I might still go with someone like United if the price was similar, even with connections. It's very familiar to me and I know all the options available if there is a problem somewhere.

But really, with any airline, you pays your money and you takes your chances. Stuff can happen with any airline and from time to time it does.

I'm 50/50 with discount airlines. I flew Flair out of Hamilton (I believe they were Swoop's predecessor approx 3 years ago), to Halifax, first return trip I had no issues. I booked the same flight the following year (months in advance) and about a week out, I received an email stating my flight had been cancelled, but they were nice enough to re-schedule my booking to 3 days later. No explanation, no apologies, nothing. This of course did not work for me, so I had to take a last minute booking with Air Canada out of Toronto, increasing the cost my return fare to Halifax by $400. Unless my travel plans are ultra-flexible, I'm hesitant to go back to a discount airline.

I flew Flair out of Hamilton (I believe they were Swoop's predecessor approx 3 years ago)
Swoop and Flair are two different airlines. Both are still in operation. Swoop is owned by WestJet.

Thanks for your replies. Lots to consider. I love the idea of a direct flight and the savings for 4 adults is huge. But our schedules don't have lots of wiggle room either.

I am looking at flights for July with Swoop too. I do not think they will add more dates. It seems that they only do one flight a week. Right now they offer Friday flights. The price is very reasonable but when you start paying for bags and choosing your seat, the price does increase a bit. I think the price is bound to go up as well because they just released these dates. I booked Free Dining today and am now worried about crowds and the heat! I have never been in the summer before.
I have gone in July once and August twice. It's really hot and humid but it doesn't bother me. Stores are air conditioned and we use the pools in the afternoons. Have fun!

Two words must be remembered when travelling on a discount carrier: TRAVEL INSURANCE.

Buy the best trip interruption and cancellation insurance you can find.

heed the warnings of the above posters, so you can go into a trip eyes-open.

and finally: you get what you pay for.

Swoop has had more issues this week, leaving people stranded in Montreal due to weather. Travel insurance. We had friends use them last summer and were stranded in Orlando and had to fly home another carrier.

To be fair, Air Canada, Westjet, and most other airlines had cancellations around the weather at YUL this week.

Now, having said that I noticed Swoop's YEG-MCO flight was delayed 6 hours yesterday. Because it's the same plane, the return flight was also delayed by a similar amount, so buyer beware. I wish they'd state the reason for the delay on their website like United and most other major airlines do.

Considering how much less their fares are you could probably buy additional one way fares to get home in an emergency and only then just be getting close to the competition's fare range for the total spent, lol. I get that folks want to avoid any potential hassles, especially when travelling with kids.

From my perspective, choice is good and I hope Swoop can get its act together and is able to grow and buy more planes. Most don't remember that when Westjet started up they only had a few planes and had lots of delays and missed flights, too.

We are trying it in February from Winnipeg, They are flying on Fridays and Tuesdays, we paid just under $300 each, I like the idea of the nonstop flights but will admit I am a bit nervous.

We likely won't be going this summer but I thought I would price out a trip. My kids will be 21 and 18 so paying for 4 adults is not cheap. Flying 4 of us with Swoop is $886! Everyone else is closer to $3K and stopovers. I always pay extra for seat selection and baggage with other airlines. I was also thinking about paying for a one way flight home if there were serious delays. And I always get trip cancellation insurance. I appreciate all the input though!

We're also considering using Swoop in March from YEG to MCO. Here's what I'm thinking about:

First of all, will it ruin my vacation if we're 6 or 12 or 24 hours late getting there? Not pleasant but we'd cope. What if it happens coming back? We'd return on a Friday and nobody would need to be at work before Monday so that's 3 days to get back somehow. Inconvenient, yes but not really a deal breaker. Our travel party is just two adults who are very experienced at killing time at airports.

WJ is $3555 for their Sat-Sat nonstops. Swoop is $1300. Both are before baggage/seat fees. Is it worth it to save over $2200 bucks? I think so, but we'd have a contingency plan going in and DW and I each have CCs with serious travel benefits as well as some extras from our benefit plans at work.

I flew Swoop YEG to MCO in September. No issues, paid I think $179 one way once you included carry on & exit row seat. The plane was not full. Was Leary, but it was last minute trip so took the risk. Had row to myself. (I flew home on Delta as I had Skymiles so flight only cost $5.) For my trip in a few weeks we are flying WestJet direct due to Sat-Sat trip. In April I could have flew swoop again as I’m doing Fri-Fri but I got a Cyber Monday deal for a WJ flight via YYC that was pretty much on par with the swoop price once you added luggage to the equation. (I get Free bag with WJ). I feel more comfortable going with WJ.

Question..where can I find cheap trip cancellation insurance? We have travel medical, but cancellation is not included.

I wish we had a discount carrier like that in Ottawa. While I understand being reluctant to use them because they only have one flight, when I want direct to somewhere from here there is usually one choice for that. My other choice is to get to Montreal or Syracuse.

It is a bit of a risk to use Swoop IMO. If you google reviews, tons of horrible ones come up. That said, I somewhat hesitantly used them yesterday to fly home, as my original direct flight with WJ was cancelled and only Swoop offered a direct flight. The plane was delayed a bit coming into MCO from Hamilton, but once we were on, everything went smoothly and it was the quickest flight we have ever had. I would definitely use them again, but realize there is always the possibility of being stranded for days, and I think the risk goes up in the winter.

We’re booked on swoop for next month. I’m not thrilled about it, and honestly once we pay for luggage, carry ons, and seat selection it’s not that much cheaper than other airlines. Not everyone will need all those options, but traveling with a toddler means that we need guaranteed seats together and we absolutely need both carry on and checked luggage.

But it’s also the only direct flight to/from YEG in february. There used to be westjet options, but I guess during slower seasons they’re only offering direct flights through their discount airline now.

We’re trying to stay positive about it. Since it’s the only direct option, slight delays will still be faster and easier than one or more layovers. But I guess there is still a risk of longer delays. I’ll post our experience once we’re home...hopefully without major problems!

Not sure if it was mentioned... the flight diverted to Mtl from Halifax this past week left customers with little or no forthcoming information - until they were contacted by email hours later & sent to an airport exit to board a bus to their intended destination which was Hamilton. A solution yes... but not an acceptable one.

Flying Swoop has been a consideration for me because the cost is simply too hard to beat. Several coworkers have flown swoop with little or no problems. After media coverage & recent bad press, I am very wary to book with them 😕

Another note... A family of 4 were asked to disembark a cross country flight 2 days before Christmas, just before take off, (due to one of their twin daughters throwing up. The child was not sick, just anxious about her very first flight.) Getting a refund for this family has been a nightmare, the options for rebooking would have had to have been days later after Christmas day, on another airline which would have tripled their cost. They are still working through the process utilizing the new airline customer bill of rights.

Before booking with Swoop, be sure you have a solid back up plan, know what alternative flight options you have out of the smaller airports Swoop uses & be sure you have enough available credit on your cards to put that plan into action should you need to.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!