Flying Southwest out of Albany, NY

TripletDad

Mouseketeer
We have an 8:15am flight out of Albany. Does anybody who has flown Southwest out of Albany have any advice on what time to get to the airport? There are 7 of us traveling me, DW, Triplet DD, and my inlaws. We are staying the night before close to the airport since Albany is almost 4 hr drive from home. My MIL is disabled with a leg problem witch is better some days then others so she might be able to preboard. If she does preboard I'm hoping she can save some seats. This is first time our daughters will have flown. We are hoping all 3 can sit by a window. Thanks

TripletDad. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

We figure one DD#1 and my self in one row by a window. DD#2 and DW in another row by window. Inlaws and DD#3 in third row.

I live in Albany and can help. You should plan on gettingto the airport about 1.5 hours before the flight. The airport has not been too crowded lately, you should only have, at most, a 10 minute wait to get through security (unless you are unlucky or traveling on a Friday). But, since you are on SWA, you'll want to get there extra early to get good boarding numbers. With such a large party, you'll want to get everyone in the A boarding group to ensure that you are sitting near each other.

You may try to get on with your MIL but I doubt they'll let let everyone on together as a pre-board.

Enjoy the Albany International Airport, it is easy to get around (you'll be in terminal A), to the right after you get through security.

--Hawkeye
Albany, NY

Have MIL preboard with FIL. Tell them that they should each sit in a window and place a small bag or purse in the middle seat. Once the rest of the family boards you can rearrange but this would atleast guarantee you two windows and two middles. Middles are always the last to go. Tell in laws that they should perhaps go back a few rows rather than sit in the first 5 rows. These are coveted rows and will be more difficult to save. I never understand why people think it is soooo much better to sit in the first 5 rows because you all land at the same time. There is maybe a few minutes difference between the first person deplaning and the last person deplaning.

As long as you get to the airport reasonably early you should have no problems getting in the A or B boarding group. As long as you are in A or B you will have no problems finding seats together.

Also remember that this is maybe a 3 hr flight. It is not a huge part of your vacation time. Don't worry about the small stuff. The plane ride is transportation only. Other than take off and landing there is very little to see on the plane ride over.

Even if your family is scattered about the plane in groups of two you will all get to the SAME DESTINATION at the SAME TIME. Go with the flow as long as there is an adult with each child. Remember your family will be together 24/7 a little alone time will be good.

I have one sister so when we flew as a family we always flew 2 and 2 and the kiddies would switch places during the flight sometimes. It gave us each a bit of alone time with one parent.

Originally posted by Hawkeye314
I live in Albany and can help. You should plan on gettingto the airport about 1.5 hours before the flight. The airport has not been too crowded lately, you should only have, at most, a 10 minute wait to get through security (unless you are unlucky or traveling on a Friday). But, since you are on SWA, you'll want to get there extra early to get good boarding numbers. With such a large party, you'll want to get everyone in the A boarding group to ensure that you are sitting near each other.

Hey Hawkeye! So nice to see an Albanian (is that the right word?) here on the DIS! I've been recently transplanted from Albany to Chicago, but I really do miss home sometimes! I used to live right near the airport at Shaker Run Apts, so I'm REALLY familiar with the comings and goings of airport traffic! ;-)

TripletDad -- the excellent thing about Albany Airport is that it's rarely mobbed with people, and anytime I've flown in and out of there, the longest waits have been for my luggage more than anything else! Security is quick, boarding is quick, and check-in is usually a breeze. Enjoy your stay in the capital city, and when you're passing through town, tell Albany I said hello! ::Smile::

We have booked a room for the night before our flight at the DaysInn on Wolf road and will park in the Airport Parking. The airport parking at the Albany airport is cheaper than Syracuse and other airports.

Just for the record I'm another Albanian and agree with what all the other posters here have said about the Albany airport. Its just so easy to get around in ...you breeze right through most of the time.

Originally posted by HvnzCaress
Just for the record I'm another Albanian and agree with what all the other posters here have said about the Albany airport. Its just so easy to get around in ...you breeze right through most of the time.

Yay, Albanians unite! I miss my hometown! ;-)

And speaking of missing things, I ACHE to be back in Albany when I'm waiting in hour-long security lines and walking ten miles to my terminal at O'Hare. Give me the good ol' Albany International anytime!!

It is so great to see hometown people here on the DIS!! Last summer when we left long term parking at the Albany terminal, we had the option of paying with our EZPass. We did that and it turned out to be about $15 cheaper than the advertised rate. Just a thought...
Enjoy your trip!
Sharon

My sister & niece met us at WDW last week. They were able to get a non-stop flight from Albany & prefered it to non non-stop flights out of Syracuse. Coming & going went smoothly ...

Hey SI --

I live near where you used to live. I'm in Loudonville although we were up North in Clifton Park for about three years. I'm origianlly from Cincinnati and miss the midwest (although my Reds have beaten the evil Yankees the last two nights which makes things better).

--Jon

Hey Jon!

No kidding, I used to live in Clifton Park too, in Foxwood Apts right on Crescent. Small world!

Hope you enjoyed the Albany winter! :p

I used to live in Foxwoods too!

This was a really bad winter. The worst in my nine years here.

Not that Chicago is all that tropical, though....

--Hawkeye

Originally posted by Hawkeye314
I used to live in Foxwoods too!

Cue the music! "It's a small world afterall ..." Come on, sing along everybody! ;)

That's so funny that you lived in Foxwoods too! Talk about a REALLY small world!!

Hey my sister-in-law lived up in Foxwoods too. I used to live up in Ballston Spa a few years back before moving down into Nisky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter