flying one airline out and another back?

Lisa F

is a very wise woman
I want to fly from a small airport (PVD) to MCO and although schedules are not yet open for late february, they are getting close.

If schedules hold, I'd like to fly to MCO on Southwest (They have more flights and better times) and back from the cruise on Jet Blue (Southwest has 11:40 for their middle of the day - a little early - and jet blue has 2pm and SW's next flight is at 5 back to PVD)

I'd also love to fly jet blue back because Disney will take care of the luggage transfers with them.

Dumb question but does anyone ever have issues booking one way legs on different airlines rather than round trip?

I have done this often - in fact I often book 2 one way fares even when flying the same airline as it gives me greater flexibility especially with SWA.

Not sure what you mean about Jet Blue vs SWA in regard to luggage transfers, both participate in the inbound DME luggage delivery service as well as the outbound RAC luggage service.

Not a problem.
BTW SWA also does RAC (you mentioned it was a benefit of flying JB but its also an option for SWA just to clarify for others)

I have done this often - in fact I often book 2 one way fares even when flying the same airline as it gives me greater flexibility especially with SWA.

Not sure what you mean about Jet Blue vs SWA in regard to luggage transfers, both participate in the inbound DME luggage delivery service as well as the outbound RAC luggage service.

Oh sorry - I'm taking a cruise, and SW does not participate in luggage transfers with Disney but Jet Blue does... the list is smaller for a cruise for some reason (I was shocked SW wasn't on it) I will typically take that 11:40ish flight on SW (last few years it's been between 11:30-12:30) for Disney trips but the cruise recommends no earlier than 12:30 with Disney transfers, which is throwing a wrinkle in all of my plans (of course late February could be different!) I want the earliest reasonable flight out since I have a 1.5 hour drive, have to check in to ferry a half hour early before taking the 45 minute ferry ride home - would like to get home the same day.

Yes inbound they both do so it's not an issue (we'll spend two nights at the boardwalk first.) It's actually not a HUGE issue either way except between having the flight at the right time AND the luggage transfers directly from the port Jet Blue is definitely winning on the way back. They have half the flights (2 vs. 4) into the small airport but their 2pm return is way better than SW's schedule. But they only have a 5:40am and 5-something pm flight OUT and I'd rather fly mid-morning - which I can do on SW.

Sorry for any confusion with me not mentioning the cruise.

Just wondering if there are any pitfalls to this plan though.

actually Disney recommends no earlier than 11:25 so that makes the 11:40 a possibility. Still not sure what to do though, lol.

Last edited:

I do this almost every time we fly lately. We take Sun Country there, and then try and take SW back. Just the ease of checking in and all that, at the resort, with SW makes it easier. But SC is usually cheaper for us on the way down.

Thanks for clarifying about the cruise - good info!
Again I have never had issues flying one way - what specifically are your concerns about this?

I do it all the time. Where I live (in Northern VA outside of Washington DC) I have a favorite Southwest flight going to MCO, and a favorite American Airlines flight leaving MCO.

We've done this often. We love JB but if AA has something cheaper we fly with them. :)

Like previous posters, I frequently book one ways on different airlines or even to and from different departure and return cities based on fares.

If the earlier flight is more convenient, have you considered car service back to MCO from Port Canaveral post-cruise instead of the Disney transfer? You could still do DCL transfer to the ship pre-cruise. On our DCL cruise last year there was an expedited departure option to walk off the ship and hand carry your own luggage around 7:30am. We did the regular debark process around 9am and waited about 30-45 min to claim our luggage then clear customs. Then sat on the DCL coach bus for 15 minutes waiting for it to fill and for luggage to be loaded. That hour would have made me nervous if our flight time was tight.

Personally, I only can come up with two legitimate reasons why a non-frequent flyer should restrict yourself to a single airline:
  • Roundtrip Discount: In days of yore, airlines would offer discounted fares on round-trips. Outside of some international destinations, that type of discount has basically disappeared.
  • Likely to Change Plans: If you think the dates of your trip may change, it's smarter to book a round-trip on a single airline because you'd only have to pay one change fee. (That is, unless you're flying on Southwest.)
Like other people who have chimed in, I always book the cheapest one-way flight that aligns with my travel dates/times.

Personally, I only can come up with two legitimate reasons why a non-frequent flyer should restrict yourself to a single airline:
  • Roundtrip Discount: In days of yore, airlines would offer discounted fares on round-trips. Outside of some international destinations, that type of discount has basically disappeared.
  • Likely to Change Plans: If you think the dates of your trip may change, it's smarter to book a round-trip on a single airline because you'd only have to pay one change fee. (That is, unless you're flying on Southwest.)
Like other people who have chimed in, I always book the cheapest one-way flight that aligns with my travel dates/times.

Thanks, it is probably nagging traditional thinking about airline ticket pricing and the way things work. I have always just flown round trip! But I am going to check out all of my options this time. SW is generally cheapest out of my preferred small airport but I will see what else is available!

Like previous posters, I frequently book one ways on different airlines or even to and from different departure and return cities based on fares.

If the earlier flight is more convenient, have you considered car service back to MCO from Port Canaveral post-cruise instead of the Disney transfer? You could still do DCL transfer to the ship pre-cruise. On our DCL cruise last year there was an expedited departure option to walk off the ship and hand carry your own luggage around 7:30am. We did the regular debark process around 9am and waited about 30-45 min to claim our luggage then clear customs. Then sat on the DCL coach bus for 15 minutes waiting for it to fill and for luggage to be loaded. That hour would have made me nervous if our flight time was tight.

It's just two of us so I'm not looking to spend that much more money to get to the airport. When I cruised with my parents it made sense but with tip it will double the cost - not worth it when the 2pm flight would work, we'd just have a sit down lunch before we go. That's about as late as I'd want to go though!

I want to fly from a small airport (PVD) to MCO and although schedules are not yet open for late february, they are getting close.

If schedules hold, I'd like to fly to MCO on Southwest (They have more flights and better times) and back from the cruise on Jet Blue (Southwest has 11:40 for their middle of the day - a little early - and jet blue has 2pm and SW's next flight is at 5 back to PVD)

I'd also love to fly jet blue back because Disney will take care of the luggage transfers with them.

Dumb question but does anyone ever have issues booking one way legs on different airlines rather than round trip?

I can't help with the cruise part - but just wanted to say hi! We always fly out of PVD and Jet Blue always has the worst times either 5:30 am or 5:30 pm! Coming back they always have good times around 2 pm. Such a pain!! So we always fly Southwest down and Jet Blue coming back. Just wanted to say I feel your flight pain......

I do it all the time. Where I live (in Northern VA outside of Washington DC) I have a favorite Southwest flight going to MCO, and a favorite American Airlines flight leaving MCO.

That is so funny, I found a SWA flight out of DCA and an AA return flight for our next trip. So I will be doing the one way trips next time too.

I can't help with the cruise part - but just wanted to say hi! We always fly out of PVD and Jet Blue always has the worst times either 5:30 am or 5:30 pm! Coming back they always have good times around 2 pm. Such a pain!! So we always fly Southwest down and Jet Blue coming back. Just wanted to say I feel your flight pain......
You know specifically what I am talking about!

When we did our trip in february it was more like a 1-something return so I was surprised that the "middle of the day" SW return was more like 11:30 on our late January trip in 2019 but I think their schedule shifts around with the more like 1ish schedule around holiday times (lFebruary 2018 I flew back the Saturday after president's week, same saturday I'm looking at now) ... since I'm back to February I am kind of hoping that it is back to the 1-something return (i have 4 x $100 southwest gift cards so would love to use that - can use two per leg so would have to book one-way anyway!) I'm worried about missing my flight and how much later the next SW flight is if it's more like 11-something than 1-something. July 10th I get to see. Still worth it for less hassle and expense of PVD vs. Logan - i checked into the southern park/sleep/fly my boyfriend uses when he flies for business and it is like $240 a night vs. $140 for the similar PVD deal. Flying out of boston would give me more options but also more stress.

I'm thinking even if we have to wait around the airport, the 2pm JetBlue or hopefully 1-something SW will be better and we can have a sit-down lunch at the outback or something to kill time at the airport.

I've done this a few times and so has my boyfriend to get a better price. The only issue I can see is if you had to cancel you have to deal with two airlines and two separate fees should you need to make changes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter