Flying in couple days before cruise, need PCR

dclDream2018

Mouseketeer
Can anyone share what they've done or plan to do (labs) for their under 12 PCRs? I just became aware through these threads - and checked DCL's website to confirm - that under 12s PCR must now be between 3 days to 24 hours before embarking. We are flying in Saturday (early) before our Monday cruise. Inspire Dx says that PCR kits need to be mailed back 4 days before the cruise, so that's a no-go with that new change. I have no idea what we're going to do, possibly forgo a vacay day in Orlando before the cruise trying to find a place? Ugh, this is almost getting too stressful.

I live in Florida and can't get a Covid test scheduled within 3 days at places like Walgreens and CVS, let alone fast results. The demand for tests is too high for them to handle.

Check here:
https://www.passporthealthusa.com/locations/fl/orlando/fit-to-fly-exams/
Also, see if the testing location at MCO is available (although I have heard about terrible lines)

https://dmcovid19test.com/
Medfast - Cocoa Beach
pin_orange.png

275 W Cocoa Beach Causeway, Cocoa Beach, FL 32931
Hours:
Monday:8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Tuesday:8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Wednesday:8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Thursday:8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday:8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday:8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Sunday:8 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Type of Testing Available
  • Antibody Testing
  • Antigen Testing
  • Diagnostic Testing
  • Rapid Testing

Any word on whether it's 3 days (so testing anytime 3 calender days prior), or 72 hours (meaning of we embark at 1 pm, testing should be done 1pm or later on that 3rd day prior)?

We are in the same predicament as the OP, we are arriving 5 days before our cruise. We have little kids and really do not want to bring car seats and rent a car. If Inspire can not process results in 72 hours of the mail-in tests being taken, then Disney needs to change the length of time back to 5 days. I'm guessing the original time frame was suggested by Inspire as a workable process. So Disney is going to turn away families who say they mailed in their tests supplied by DCL's partner 3 days ago because the results aren't reported yet?

I think this question is obsolete now. I've read that tests are now required at the port upon arrival. They are rapid tests, done regardless of your vaccination status.

I also think that the adults need to have a test 48 hours or less before arriving at the port. Starting Sept 13.

I also think that the adults need to have a test 48 hours or less before arriving at the port. Starting Sept 13.
Where are you seeing that? My concern is that this is going to require rapid PCR which if I am able to arrange, will be about $225 a pop. Ugh. This is what's on DCL's site right now:

For all sailings, Guests 12 years of age and older must be fully vaccinated and take a COVID-19 test upon embarkation. Guests 11 years old and under are not required to be vaccinated but must take a pre-trip rapid PCR test or lab-based PCR test for COVID-19, as well as a rapid COVID-19 test upon embarkation. Learn more below.

We are in the same predicament as the OP, we are arriving 5 days before our cruise. We have little kids and really do not want to bring car seats and rent a car. If Inspire can not process results in 72 hours of the mail-in tests being taken, then Disney needs to change the length of time back to 5 days. I'm guessing the original time frame was suggested by Inspire as a workable process. So Disney is going to turn away families who say they mailed in their tests supplied by DCL's partner 3 days ago because the results aren't reported yet?
Fortunately I just secured same day PCRs for my under 12s the day before we fly out (3 days before cruise) @ $225 a pop. Fingers crossed DCL doesn't change requirements to 48 hours before we cruise! Anyway, responding because I now see AdventCare MCO has a same day PCR option, easy to book online. Not sure about costs.

Fortunately I just secured same day PCRs for my under 12s the day before we fly out (3 days before cruise) @ $225 a pop. Fingers crossed DCL doesn't change requirements to 48 hours before we cruise! Anyway, responding because I now see AdventCare MCO has a same day PCR option, easy to book online. Not sure about costs.
Yeah we found a place that will test all ages and has a 60 min turn around time it costs $149. We decided to just rent a car from the Car Care Center along with an infant seat for a day and bring a collapsing booster for our 5yo. We will do it first thing in the morning then head to EPCOT so we don't waste so much of the day.

I’m doing AdventCare MCO tomorrow for my 2 kids. It’s $175 each. It says 20 mins turnaround time but we’ll see.

Funny thing is DCL called me today to say my kids tests haven’t been uploaded yet for my Saturday sailing. I’m like your new guidelines say I can’t till Wednesday lol

Wow, this is so interesting to learn. In my home state, they have free PCR testing; is there only paid testing for kiddos under 12? I have two kids, age 3 and 1.5 for a Nov cruise, and trying to plan when we will get them tested as we fly in 5 days before the cruise so testing at home isn't an option.

Alright the Safe Passage/Inspire Diagnostics website is wack. It's somewhat updated about DCL's latest PCR requirement for under 12s, but the testing/mailing rules make it a pointless option:

COVID-19 PCR Testing
Guests under the age of 12 are not required to be vaccinated but must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR test result (paid for by the Guest) taken between 5 days and 24 hours before your sail date.
  1. Test kits may be ordered from Inspire Diagnostics and shipped directly to your home. Disney Cruise Line has secured a special rate of $98.33 per PCR test (which includes a 3.5% processing fee) through Safe Passage by Inspire Diagnostics. Test should be completed and mailed back to Inspire BETWEEN 4-5 days before you set sail.

OR
  2. Guests may also obtain their test from any independent testing provider. Please ensure that the test type is a lab-based PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction).
    The test must be performed between 5 days and 24 hours before your sail date. To expedite your embarkation process, we recommend uploading your test result 48 hours before your sail date. Guests with positive COVID-19 test results, including those in their travel party, will be denied boarding.
IMPORTANT: Beginning September 13, all Guests 11 years of age and younger will need to receive a PCR test from an approved testing provider between 3 Days and 24 hours before their Sail Date.

Wow, this is so interesting to learn. In my home state, they have free PCR testing; is there only paid testing for kiddos under 12? I have two kids, age 3 and 1.5 for a Nov cruise, and trying to plan when we will get them tested as we fly in 5 days before the cruise so testing at home isn't an option.
We have free testing but it's all lab based tests which can take anywhere from 2 to 5 days depending on the lab. Cruises starting September 13 require 11 and unders be tested 3 days prior to the sailing date and results must be uploaded 24 hours prior to sailing. Which does not give a lot of time. People are paying for rapid tests to guarantee results are received in time. I'm still trying to determine if Walgreens Rapid Molecular IDNOW test is accepted.

We have free testing but it's all lab based tests which can take anywhere from 2 to 5 days depending on the lab. Cruises starting September 13 require 11 and unders be tested 3 days prior to the sailing date and results must be uploaded 24 hours prior to sailing. Which does not give a lot of time. People are paying for rapid tests to guarantee results are received in time. I'm still trying to determine if Walgreens Rapid Molecular IDNOW test is accepted.

Yes, still very different than my area. We have lab-based testing sponsored by the department of health that is free, with results in 24-48 hours. You need to schedule the appointment in advance, but it is a quick drive up, and does not need a doctor's order, totally okay to get even for just screening purposes. Earlier in the pandemic, I was self-screening weekly to make sure that I wasn't bringing the virus into work. Now work has me testing daily before I come in, so I don't have to schedule myself anymore at least. Do you have any information about the lab-based testing for kids that are 1.5 years old in the Orlando area? I'm having a hard time finding that for screening purposes, unless it's $175 a test...CVS and Walgreens will test the three year old at least. My plan is to test my kids at home before we fly down anyway, so there are (hopefully) no surprises once we are in Florida. I'm trying to not worry about it too much, as I think likely a lot will change between now and November, but I do like to try to plan. Thanks everyone for your help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter