• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Flying Fish: Charred NY Strip question???

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
One of my favorite entree's at FF is the Charred NY Strip. Does anyone know the ingredient of the 'dip' that the steak is rolled in prior to grilling (that allows it to char while only slowly cooking the inside)? It looks like a flour mixture but that estimation could be way off.

Anyone know?
pirate:

My DH always gets this! We asked and were told it was a mixture of 16 (maybe 18?) different spices- big secret as to what they are. We sit at the grill and watch them carefully choose the best steak, then dip both sides coating in the spices and then put on the grill with the oak embers!

I had this steak when we dined at FF in Dec. It was absolutely wonderful! We asked what was on the steak and all we were told is lemon, soy sauce, garlic and other yummy things!

Thanks...But it's got to be the "other yummy things" that keep the meat sealed.
pirate:

Peter,

More than likely there is a LIGHT amount of oil (probably canola with a high smoke point) on the steak. Just enough to make it glisten.

That makes sense HBK, but as I recall wtaching them, the coating was very flour-like and dry in looks, perhaps there is an oil coat bfore the dip? Anyone recall this? pirate:

I would imagine they might pre-roast the meat to get a certain level of doneness on the inside (I've never eaten there, but I'm pretty good cooking my steak :)). The oil should be just a dab rubbed into the meat to help the sear as well as keep the seasonings applied to the meat.

After re-reading your post, I would guess the meat may be "pre-treated" with some heat and oil. How long do they usually let it sear? A minute or two on each side?

That's the funny thing, HBK, you watch them pick the fresh pieces of red meat right out of the cooler...After they roll it in the substance it goes on the grill and is apt to cook for 15-20 minutes (I'd guess) to attain med rare... pirate:

hmm.....15-20 minutes is a LONG time.....I think they are probably really controling the temperature of the grill....obviously some grills are better than others with maintaining a constant temperature, which would help with this process. Assuming there is no "Pre-Prep" to the food, it's got to be temperature control on the grill itself.

You're going to be confused now...It's an oak flame open grill and this baby flames! pirate:

Probably so. Industrial gas grill and oil in the marinade if flames are shooting up.

The fire is real wood. They have their supply right there and feed it regularly. Would this still be gas fed? I don't know.

As to the grate...I don't know what this made of.

If nothing else, HBK, you'll have to try FF when you next go back!
pirate:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter