Fly...or Drive??

Free4Life11

DIS Veteran
Having a difficult time figuring out which would be best.

We are in Chicago and would need tickets for four adults (50, 38, 17, 14) and one child (12). We would also need to rent a car - probably a Mini Van as anything smaller wouldn't fit us. What is a rough estimate of what that would cost?

We could also drive. Would take 2 days each way. We would drive 700 to miles to South Carolina and stay with friends, then drive 500 miles the next days. Should take us 12 hours and then 8 hours respectively....we are used to car trips.

Just not sure which is the best. Frankly 4 days in a car seems fine compared to the other way - I have not found a place that rents mini-vans for less than $500, and airfare would be at least $800.

Which do you think is the best alternative?

thanks,
Matt

Southwest is running great deals on flights these days but you never know when the rates will go up.

If you fly to Orlando, do you HAVE to rent a minivan? When we get to Disney World, we never leave the property until we go back to the airport. We have Tiffany Towncar take us from the airport to WDW and then back again at the end of the trip for MUCH cheaper than renting a car or van. When we had 8 people traveling together, Tiffany brought a van for $10 more and it fit everyone, including all the luggage - I think the total price was $95 plus tip but that was 2 years ago. They charge per trip, not per person. They even made a half hour grocery stop for us for free.

For what it's worth, we often drive from southern Pennsylvania - it's 1050 miles to Disney. We've been known to do it in one day (15 hours drive time) but that's usually coming home, or when we have 3 drivers.

Good luck!

Doreen in PA

This question comes up alot on the transportation board. you will get many opinions,lol! We drove this year 2 adults, 2 kids 4 and 7yo 21hrs from Wi straight thru in a conversion van. I can't imagine sitting for 2 days with the amt of people you have in a minivan. I always see cheap airfare out of Chicago ( I'm jealous!!) from 120.00 round trip. I would fly in your case . You can "usually" rent a minivan in MCO from Dollar for 200/week using a code. Check out the transportaion board, good luck!!

Here is another vote for Southwests Friends Fly Free special.. I think it has to be booked SOON, check it out. If I were you, I would do the FFF special and call Southwest for a childs price on a rt ticket... can't hurt! We are from Chicago too, I think the FFF promo works out to be $130pp - not bad at all.
We just did the Chicago - SCarolina - Chicago trip , it stunk.

:)

when time isnt an issue- driving is a decent option for us (just outside of NYC).

As you've seen if you have 4 or 5 in a family, the airfare racks up pretty quick. Even if you just get a ride to/from the airport and dont get a rental, thats probably another $75-100 too.

Our kids are smaller so the whole flying thing with the lines and cooped up aspect dont sit real well with them. We can bring them movies for the car ride, and when they get antsy find a nice fast food playland to stop at for a while. My wife is a great mom too- and she finds fun stops along the way in case we need them these longer trips (parks, museums, aquariums, etc).

Also- I've been hosed enough in life by theat swell Airline customer service that I even prefer the drive. "sorry sir, i know the weather is beautifull all over the entire country, but some weather geek smells a storm coming in the next few days, so your flight leaving in 10 minutes is cancelled...", or "air traffic control has delayed a flight in singapore, so all 300 of our aircraft on the east coast will be 6 hours late", or my personal favorite "the captain noticed the oil level was down a quart. As we dont bother keeping expensive maintanence items like that just lying around, we have sent for some from Saudi Arabia and it will be here tomorrow" :p ;)

Of couse, if your vacation time is limited, than flying becomes more palatable. (if your 7 day stay at WDW becomes 5 due to travel time than it's time for airline roullette fun!)

We fly out of Milwaukee and just got a great rate of 146. 95 including tax round trip per person through ATA. Someone told me they were based at Chicago Midway so perhaps you could check into it. We saw it advertised in the Milw. Journal under FunJet. It seems to change every week though. This Sunday they advertised adults for 149 and children for 99.95 round trip. We fly because we have 2 small children who would never last 2 days in the car. It also saves us the cost of a rental car because we take the Mears shuttle. I have heard there are also towncars and a taxi to Disney may be more economical for you since you have a larger group.

I also suggest staying on Disney property since this eliminates the need for a rental car. We have stayed both on and off property and it is so much nicer on property. They are advertising some very good rates for their resorts this summer.

I'd check on the airfare. We drove once from Ohio and NEVER again. I also agree with the previous post go with Tiffany Towncar and use Disney transportation (if you are onsite). We love not having to drive, park and worry about car problems.

We drove a couple of trips back from North of Boston, and it took close to 24 hours to drive it. We stopped in Richmond on the way down & Disney's Hilton Head Resort & Richmond on the way back. We had a lot of fun & the kids enjoyed the drive (4 & 2 at the time)... My own opinion, is that if you're going down for 2 weeks (12 nights worked good), then it's definitely worth it to drive, but if you're only going for 1 week, it is definitely NOT worth it. Check out www.Mousesavers.com for discounts on Dollar Rent A Cars, try all the codes, some minivan rates are 209 per week.... also try Southwests Friends Fly Free promotion... but definitely drive if you're going for 2 weeks...

I just bought tickets on ATA for July and was able to get them for 135.00 round trip. You may want to look into that. As another poster said, about 210 a week is what you would pay for a minivan if you can get one with a code with Dollar.

If you are planning on staying with friends on your trip down and back it still may be a lot cheaper to drive.. We had been planning on driving this summer but for 135, I decided I couldn't beat it. Plus it saves the wear and tear on my van, and on my nerves as we would have 2 kids in the car with us... ;)

Good Luck!

Your original post said you have one child 12. Just to let you know, a 12 yr old is considered an adult in ticketing. I believe anything over 9 is an adult.
Nancy

We're driving. I figure that's and extra at least $1000 extra we can spend on other things, plus we will have our car so we don't have to rent one or go without transporation. I like my car much better than rental cars.

...on driving this summer to WDW from NJ. It's about an 18-19 hr trip straight thru, but we will be using a conversion van and there are 4 drivers! Gas and tolls should come out to about $250 each way (more to spend at WDW!!!) If you are not pressed for time (as we aren't) then you could slow it down a bit and really see the country (if that suits you). Since we are staying on-site we won't really need the van to do much travelling, but it's nice to know we have it, just in case (we may be going to IOA, so it will come in handy). Flying's nice, because to step on a plane, and 2-3 hours later, YOU ARE THERE!!!! I guess I did'nt really help you with your decision - good luck either way....:)

If all of you feel okay with flying, I'd keep looking for a good price on tickets. It's so great to get on a plane and two hours later be there.
You would probably be surprised how a car trip would add up. Gas, food, etc.
Have one of the car services drive you to Disney from the airport. Plus, the free stop at Publix would be a great time to pick up some snacks, water and pop. I've seen many families take groceries in, so don't feel bad. That alone could save you as much as one air ticket. Disney prices are unreal! Hope your family has a wonderful trip.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter