Flu kills previously healthy teen

I had the flu in 1996. The real flu. Not the "I feel really bad for a couple days flu". I was flat on my back for 2 weeks. It was exhausting to get up to go take a shower.

I think I may have had the flu once in my life (I think) and now thinking back it is kind of interesting that my mom never did take me to the doctor's (I'm assuming she called them) but it was the rest, chicken soup, liquids kind of thing. I was in grade school & I remember literally being in bed for a week straight...I felt OK as long as I was laying down but the minute I attempted the thought of sitting up/lifting my head -- was overly dizzy. To this day, I have absolutely no idea what I had...reading about the flu, that is basically what I think it was.

So that means, eh, it changes so often so why bother? You may be a perfectly healthy person, but there are plenty of people out there that cannot get vaccinations due to medical issues that rely on others getting vaccinated to protect them from contracting diseases that have the potential of killing them. What good is a civilized society if we can't help each other out?

I'm not going to inject myself or my children with something I consider an unnecessary toxin just to protect others that for whatever reason won't get the shot.

With the flu, there is no such thing as "herd" immunity, since it is always changing.

If people want to get the shot ~ great. If they don't, that is great, too. Just don't try and tell me I need to get a shot to protect *you* (general you).

I am very happy to see that people are becoming educated about these vaccines! very encoraging.

Um, yea, I don't buy this argument at all. I will not take medication (including vaccines) because of some other random person's compromised immune system. I'm not part of the Borg which is all I think when I hear this argument or "herd immunity".

Get Your Flu Shot. Resistance is Futile..

320x240.jpg

Why get any vaccine then? You get measles, mumps and rubella vaccines. What are the chances you'll contract that? Low considering most people are vaccinated so their vaccines help you. So why bother?

No one is forcing anyone to get the shot but arguing that the risk is low so why bother seems odd to me. Do you never protect yourself against low risk things?

Odds were good for me. I never had measles so they gave a measles vaccine when was trying to get pregnant. I got the measles 6 weeks later at Christmas. So much for the vaccine.:confused3
I don't get the flu shot but I will be getting the shingles vaccine. I had the worse case of chicken pox ever!

I have never had this vaccine and I doubt I ever will. I think it's just a personal decision. If I get the flu, then I will have to deal with it at that time.

I also will not give my 2 teenage daughters the Gardisal vaccine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter