Florida Carseat Laws

kalaim@charter.net

Mouseketeer
Does anyone know what the car seat laws are in Florida?

I have a 6 year old and my state still requires a booster seat. We are renting a car for one day, and I didn't even think about if we'd need a seat or not!

Thanks for any info!:)

I believe it is age 4 to ride w/ just a belt..

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/Safety/HighwaySafetyGrantProgram/hsgp/HSGPareas_OccupantFAQ.htm#Florida's%20Child

says only children under 5 have to have a seatbelt? Weird...

but she will be fine at age 6.

Yes, I actually checked this out just today. In the state of Florida kids up to age three must be in a car seat of some sort. For age 4 -5, they must use a seat belt (or a car seat or booster if you so choose). After age 5 it is recommended that they use a seat belt, but not legally required.

That said, IMHO, even though it may be sort of a hassle and added expense, I would much rather be safe than sorry. I will be following the NTSB recommendation of using a booster until the kids are 8 or 80 pounds.

I was just about to post the same question.

My daughter is 6 and we will be also renting a car for 1 day.

Thanks for the information on the Florida laws.

From someone who has seen what happens when the seatbelt does not fit propery (I'm a Pediatric ICU nurse) PLEASE PLEASE use the booster until they are 4'9".

We joke with our dd that she will probably be in her booster when she starts driving:rotfl:
That's my 2cents..
Thanks

Also folks, please remember that there is a seat belt law in FL.
While you technically cannot be stopped for not wearing one, you will be amazed at what the deputy will say he stopped you for and then cite you only for all passengers not belted up.

thanks for posting this. i was wondering the same thing as well. my daughter will be in at least a 5pt booster (britax regent) until she can no longer fit for safety reasons!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter