Flooded POTC boats

BC1836

DIS Veteran
We've ridden POTC since the 1970s and understand that on occasion you can get wet from an "exploding" cannon ball. However, we do not appreciate entering a boat with several inches of standing water. And with CMs packing the boats, they tend to list to one side. As a result, the water concentrates on one side. Today, nearly a half foot of water was concentrated on the port side of our boat. We were in row six, which can handle three adults. But a CM packed the row with four people. Wet socks, shoes, etc. were the result. Note: Prior to boarding, a Napoleonic CM shouted: "Remove all back packs. Place them and all purses on the floor." We did not comply since our items would have been damaged. In an effort to shorten wait times on POTC, WDW is making the attraction experience uncomfortable, to say the least.

[spelling edit]

Last edited:
We were there last week. The first time we rode the CM asked water or no water? We said no water and were seated in the last row. We didn't get wet other than a couple cannonball splashes. The second time (same night) we rode it, it broke down. We were stuck next to the dog with the keys for an hour. They eventually turned the music off and turned the lights on. The next day I noticed the ride was closed. Then 3 days later it was open and we went to get in line and the CM said it had broken down again so he said to not get in line. Seems like a lot of breaking down.

No it is pretty terrible now. We were in the front row on our boat last week and I got drenched when we went down that little drop and hit the water. I am not exaggerating either. I looked like I had ridden Kali River Rapids when I got off and our back pack was actually dripping. I have been on POTC dozens of times over the past 20 years (including the front row) and never gotten wet like this :(

I was on it 2 weeks ago, front row, right hand side. Got soaked !! Went down that little hill & a wave came right over the side right into my lap. Not kidding, I was gross wet. Definitely not fun

After we exited POTC (see post #1), we asked to speak to a manager...and we did. We explained our experience and received an apology. But we don't know if our conversation with him with lead to appropriate corrections. As such, we will make our concern known to Guest Relations when we return to the MK.

We were there two weeks ago and got very wet every time we rode. Front right side was the worst for water splashing at the end of the drop. CM were also packing the boats.

Glad to see I am not the only one that went through this. Not so glad that they are doing this tough! I was there shortly after they re-opened and they packed 4 of us on the first row, and we got drenched! And that is saying something considering I had just gotten off Splash Mountain and it had been raining all day. You could instantly hear our displeasure the second it happened. Besides being wet and cold, it was very uncomfortable to be packed like sardines.

It appears that the (new and lighter?) boats are being deliberately packed with guests. In the past, a couple or a family of three were allowed in their own row. As a result, the boat wasn't overly weighted down, and the boats remained relatively dry. In order to reduce the wait time (which is a major factor in determining the attractiveness of a ride's total experience), CMs are packing in the guests. As a result, the overall wait time may be slightly reduced but the experience, the relative comfort and enjoyment of the ride is greatly reduced or eliminated.

The first CM we spoke to about our experience told us that POTC is "a wet ride." Sorry, my dear: Splash Mountain is a "wet ride," POTC is not. That's when we asked to speak to a manager.

Last edited:
Same here, rode Pirates last week and was in the front row. My shorts, socks, and shoes were soaked. I looked as though I taken another shower.

This is not good news. Pirates is my hubby's favorite ride but he HATES getting wet. This is going to be a problem. I am thankful for the heads up. We leave in 8 days.

We're here and rode POTC twice. Once in the packed 4 adults first row and once on the last row. On our second ride it did break down twice. The problem occurred with the boat ahead of us. The light came on and the CM asked the people to do some strange wave movement that seemed to help the boat get back on track. The people enjoyed it & clapped & cheered. lol. I didn't mind it. At least I was sitting & not standing in a line for a change. I did get drenched on the front row. Ask for the last row if getting wet is a problem.

Disappointing to say the least. I hope they come to there senses and fix this tout suite.

Thanks to the above posters for letting us know where not to sit!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter