Flight ticket for 18 month old?

Ar1el

DIS Veteran
We are debating on weather to get a plane ticket for our 18 month old. We have to have 5 tickets but I am not sure if we should get the 6th for the little one. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

It's a personal decision. Some things to consider:

In the (very rare) event of a crash or severe turbulence, buying a seat could mean the difference between life and death. But it's a small risk.

An 18 month old is a large child to have squirming on your lap for the entire flight. Most kids that age are not fond of sitting still. Having him in his own seat may help him realize that he has to stay sitting (like in the car.)

I would not want to have a child of that size/age sitting on my lap for the entire flight. It wouldn't be comfortable for either of us. My child was much better behaved and more comfortable sitting in his car seat that he was used to sitting in that he would have been on my lap.

And it's just safer in the situation where there is turbulence.

Another thing to consider: if he is not ticketed, he doesn't get to bring a carry on bag, or to check a bag (if your airline allows ticketed passengers to check a bag for free).

We did buy tickets. Everything prior to this post is correct... Plus having the chance for naps is worth the cost of the ticket alone.

We didn't buy plane tickets for my son until we had to. On all but 1 flight we got lucky and had an entire row to ourselves, so DS wound up with his own seat anyway. (The down side is that you can't predict whether you will get the extra seat ahead of time, so the car seat needs to be checked).

You’ll get a few different opinions on this some of them quite passionate. I don’t know the length of your flight or the temperament of your child. For me, I traveled across country (total of 6 hours on the plane with a change half way) with my daughter as a lap child at 17 months. She was (as I figured she’d be) a dream on the plane. I would not and did not attempt to do so with my son on a 2 hour flight to Florida either time I could have (flights at 10 months and 21 months). Great child, just would not have sat like my daughter did.

It will probably be more relaxing with the child in their own seat especially if each spouse sits in a row with 2 children unless they just hate their car seat and if it is a plane with 3 seats in a row, your party can take up two full rows. That’s a plus. If you’re taking Magical Express and using Disney transportation in Florida you’ll have to put the seat under the bus for travel from MCO to your resort and back so be sure to have a bag.

I purchased a seat for my 18 month old. A)I would never forgive myself if something happened to her because I wanted to save $300, and B)I am hoping for a pleasant flight buckled into a car seat instead of squirming around for 3 hours. She likes to be independent and I know there would be a struggle trying to keep her on a lap for that long. She would want to explore the plane.

Thanks for all the replies. It sounds like a seat for him would be best. He is a very good kid but he is a mover. Our flight is just over 2hrs. I have never brought a car seat on a plane so I am going to have to look into that.

someone else mentioned it, but I would buy the seat if you are going on a plane that is set up with 3x3 seats. If you are on a full flight, the person sitting next to you might make the trip a bit awkward since you already have 5 seats, just take the whole row.

The FAA, NTSB, AAP, and flight attendant and pilot unions all recommend that all passengers - including babies and toddlers - be appropriately restrained in their own seat for takoff, landing, and whenever the seatbelt sign is on. For a 1.5 year old, an appropriate restraint means their own seat with either a carseat or a cares harness.

I generally don't give much weight to random people on the internet, but do take into account what the actual experts have to say: http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/
http://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-alerts/Documents/SA_015.pdf

I am planning to fly with my 22 month old as a lap infant this fall - first time flying with a kid so keep that in mind ;)

my son hates his carseat for more than 20 minutes. HATES. He will scream and cry no matter what we do, he just hates being contained. Has since he was an infant, hasnt improved yet 1.5 years later. I decided for the sanity of everyone on the plan to hold him for the flight. If I thought there was even a chance of him travelling well or napping in his carseat for the flight I'd absolutely pay for a ticket.

I am planning to fly with my 22 month old as a lap infant this fall - first time flying with a kid so keep that in mind ;)

my son hates his carseat for more than 20 minutes. HATES. He will scream and cry no matter what we do, he just hates being contained. Has since he was an infant, hasnt improved yet 1.5 years later. I decided for the sanity of everyone on the plan to hold him for the flight. If I thought there was even a chance of him travelling well or napping in his carseat for the flight I'd absolutely pay for a ticket.
Do you think it will be different if he is contained by your arms? I just don't see the difference.

It's a personal decision. I flew with my DD as a lap child on numerous flights without incident. I'm not saying others are wrong, just do what you feel is best for you and your child. You know your child best.

Do you think it will be different if he is contained by your arms? I just don't see the difference.

Big difference between being strapped into a seat and being held in mom or dads arms. Being more loosely contained between our seats/laps seems more manageable with him.

Of course, I have no idea until we actually fly. I may be eating my words!

Buy him a seat, and bring his carseat. You both would be more happier and safer! The FFA recommends carseats. Could you sit for the 2 hours with the child on your lap while sitting on the couch? Maybe that would be a good test.

It's really a personal decision. I did not purchase a seat for my DD until I was required to. I used a Baby B'Air (http://www.babybair.com/) and it is allowed while in flight but not during taxi, take off or landing.

Big difference between being strapped into a seat and being held in mom or dads arms. Being more loosely contained between our seats/laps seems more manageable with him.

Although I have always bought seats for my children regardless of age, judging by how they act when they sit on my lap for periods of time in other situations ie church it is like trying to hold a wild animal. The back arching, leg kicking even when they are happy, the arms moving about. Given how close plane seats are there is no way they could not disturb others around them and likely wiggle out of my arms and take off down the aisle. At least in a car seat they are contained. And they knew car seat meant they stayed put. Same as in a car.

Just be sure that you understand that during takeoff, landing, and whenever the seatbelt sign is on, he will have to be firmly in your lap being held. No sitting on the floor, sitting between parents, kneeling on laps, etc. At those times, they are trusting your arms and lap to literally be his restraint.

The FAA, NTSB, AAP, and flight attendant and pilot unions all recommend that all passengers - including babies and toddlers - be appropriately restrained in their own seat for takoff, landing, and whenever the seatbelt sign is on. For a 1.5 year old, an appropriate restraint means their own seat with either a carseat or a cares harness.

I generally don't give much weight to random people on the internet, but do take into account what the actual experts have to say: http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/
http://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-alerts/Documents/SA_015.pdf

This.

It's much safer for your child.

We just flew with our (then) 3 month old in April. We had him as a lap child. We will be buying a seat for him in the future. Takeoffs and landings and small turbulence was too stressful for me. And yeah, in the event of something happening, losing my little guy is NOT worth saving $300.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter