Flight of Passage & claustrophobia?

k5thbeatle

DIS Veteran
I read somewhere that the FoP attraction may be mildly confining and induce a problem for those that are claustrophobic? My wife falls in that category and I was wondering of it is really that limiting and confining in terms of space?

The worst ride for her is Mission Space because of how confining it is so she doesn't ride that one anymore. Is this FoP in anyway like that?

In my opinion it is very open but the restraints might trigger claustrophobia. You are sitting like on a motor cycle with restraints around your legs and back with your chest pressed against the ride vehicle.

The prevideos are in small rooms and IMO feel more confining than the actual ride. But yes, the ride does hold you in tight. Does she do ok with over shoulder harnessed roller coasters? It's somewhat similar to that in that you are super secured into the seat but on your back and back of your calves. But your device is in a room with about 6 others and fairly high ceilings, I didn't feel pinned in at all (and Mission Space feels pinned in!!). And once the ride starts you literally feel like you are flying in open air, its so cool.

It's in a fairly open room. The vehicle is straddled like a motorcycle with flat plastic restraints that come behind the calf and on the back. Depending on size she may not even feel them. If she can handle mission space she will have no problem at all. The restraints are pretty small.

I don't recommend FOP if you are claustrophobic. I did it once and used my strategies to not have a full on panic attack. The problem comes at the beginning of the ride. Sometimes you are strapped in for a couple of minutes before the ride actually starts, as the cm's get others in their restraints.

Wow. I wouldn't have thought FoP would make someone feel claustrophobic. I think Mission Space would for sure. I think you'd have to have bad claustrophobia to feel confined in FoP, but I don't suffer from it so I wouldn't know. I didn't feel "restrained" at all myself, and the room is fairly large. There's a wide walkway behind you too so you're not confined against any walls or anything. The back restraint just presses against the small of your back. It's open on the sides. I would recommend trying it and just leaving if you feel it's going to be too confining. I would say it's worth trying. IMO. (As someone that does not suffer from claustrophobia.)

I am super clausterphobic! Mission Space, no just no. The tight restraints on RnRC are sometimes too much.

I did not have any issues on FOP. The room is large, I never felt like I was super restrained. I did not even feel the calf restraints and I am a Pooh size gal with decent size calves. It's my favorite ride in all of WDW, so I would agree that it's worth it to try.

I almost had a full on panic attack the last time I rode Mission Space and will never ride it again. I was fine on FoP. Even the restraints don't feel very tight IMHO.

The previous responses show that reaction can vary from one claustrophobic person to the next. Maybe your wife could look at some pictures or videos of the ride including the restraints, and decide for herself based on that.

I am slightly claustrophobic & get some motion sickness; I rode FOP today. I knew the motion might be an issue, and it was, but some deep breaths & simply closing my eyes and I was fine.
I did not anticipate the issue with space, but I definitely felt it. The "preflight" room was small & you are in there for several minutes. The ride restraints are tight, but not horribly so. If I had thought of it in advance I would have sat back so the restraints wouldn't lock quite so tight- just so I could have a little wiggle room. That would not have been a safety issue and I would have felt better.
So, my advice is for your wife to prepare herself. Now that I know what to expect it will be easier for me next time. Good luck!

To me, it's all mind approach. I forced myself to enjoy any potential anxiety and welcome an unknown environment.

If you can handle Mission Space FoP is a cakewalk as far as closed spaces go. The first time we rode it the motion sensation was a bit intense for me but after that it was a blast, the best simulation ride I've ever done.

Bill From PA

I found it to be claustrophobic in the pre show room-
The riders seemed very closely stood next to each other on the numbers.
But I closed my eyes and shut off for a while....
I'm in a chair though-so I'd imagine a different perspective from one standing

I'm very claustrophobic (I do 8 flights of stairs everyday to avoid the elevator, just to give you an idea). I started to have a panic attack before the ride started. I wasn't sure what was going to happen and was afraid the wall was going to come forward like in mission space(which it doesn't),and I was the first one they put the leg/back restraints on, so I had too much time to think. I managed to talk myself down from the ledge, and once the ride started, everything was fine, in fact, I loved it and can't wait to go on again.

I won't even attempt to ride it due to claustrophobia. But I am also the person who puts her legs up as high as possible on rides like Little Mermaid so the restraint can't hold me down (this strategy turned out brilliant on Toy Story when the ride went down and I had to be evacuated. Had I not done that unfortunately that would have been a big embarrassing issue while I was alone with my two 3 year olds. While I didn't remove myself from the ride, knowing that I could if I wanted to stopped me from a panic attack).
If she has been brave enough to actually attempt Mission Space, then this ride may be OK for her. That is one of the rides I will never even consider going on.

I won't even attempt to ride it due to claustrophobia. But I am also the person who puts her legs up as high as possible on rides like Little Mermaid so the restraint can't hold me down (this strategy turned out brilliant on Toy Story when the ride went down and I had to be evacuated. Had I not done that unfortunately that would have been a big embarrassing issue while I was alone with my two 3 year olds. While I didn't remove myself from the ride, knowing that I could if I wanted to stopped me from a panic attack).
If she has been brave enough to actually attempt Mission Space, then this ride may be OK for her. That is one of the rides I will never even consider going on.

That is me exactly. Just knowing I can slide my legs to the side and get out if I needed to on my own calms me right down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter