FL discounts- why no W. Coast ones?

I think us DISers are the only ones that really know to wait for GTY's, and even then it's probably only a small portion that waits for them. I think most folks here buy what they want, early.

The post above that mentions a deal with WDW sounds reasonable, why else only one state with a majority of senior citizens retired on golf courses?

Most cruise lines offer special deals for local residents. Most of these are thought of as last minute ways for the cruise to fill up empty cabins. New Jersey residents get them for cruises out of the NJ and some NYC ports. We do not get them for the sames cruiselines out of any other ports.

Most cruise lines offer special deals for local residents. Most of these are thought of as last minute ways for the cruise to fill up empty cabins. New Jersey residents get them for cruises out of the NJ and some NYC ports. We do not get them for the sames cruiselines out of any other ports.

But why?

Cruise lines want to fill up ships with each cabin going for as high a price as possible.

1) They will try to sell out the ship with no discounts.

2) if that doesn't work they will try the lowest number of discounts ( prior cruisers, local residents, *GT pricing, military).

3) if they do not think that will not work, they try indirect fare cuts - kids sail free, soft drinks/gratuities included ( non disney), discounted airfare etc.

4) they will then try limited time sales or have a sale for particularly bad selling cruises.

5) when things are really going bad (economy, boat sank, 911) cruiselines go to across the board discounts or specials. I remember where Disney offered a free 3 day cruise with the purchase of a longer cruise - don't remember the details.

TheLanes said:
I think us DISers are the only ones that really know to wait for GTY's, and even then it's probably only a small portion that waits for them. I think most folks here buy what they want, early.

The post above that mentions a deal with WDW sounds reasonable, why else only one state with a majority of senior citizens retired on golf courses?

I know your post mainly refers to GTY, but we just booked VGTs this yr because that's all the ship had..we had never heard of DISboard. There are plenty booking sales rates too.

In general, I also support helping local FL families get to try out the Mouse they live close to. Its like living on the coast and only rich families getting to go to the beach. Thank goodness for state owned beaches! I think it helps a lot and not just old retirees. I want to move to Pensacola area which is still 8 hrs away but still benefits from FL Resident rate. I can definitely attest to the fact that there are many many low economy families in FL who would otherwise prob never get to go. I like it.

I know other states have plenty of low income families too. But Disney doesn't have to offer sales but I'm glad they do. Sometimes its an eat free special, sometimes a *gt rate, sometime FLR. I do think they negotiated it with the state (prob some kind of tax thing) so who knows maybe they do have to but either way, I still think its great.

Its still my dream to move back to the coast and live in the FL border... Siiiigghhhh KY.... If I could, I'd work at a Disney store and have employee discounts but we don't have any of those either!

Thanks, everyone. I was just curious and there were a lot of good explanations and theories here. I just wish there were more options (deals, shorter cruises, etc.) for the West Coasters... sigh.

Good question though. If you want to sell cruises last minute, why limit to just Florida residents. Open it up to the world.

There must be a bit more of a reason

Exactly! There are many of us that live in border states (i.e. GA) that can also drive to FL very easily.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I think us DISers are the only ones that really know to wait for GTY's,

GTY rooms are not discounted. I believe you mean *GT rates, which are heavily discounted and non-refundable or transferable.

Sent from my Tricorder using DISBoards

FL residents get breaks on park passes too, but they are to fill up the parks in the off season or slow times. Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon after 2 pm. M-F passes. Season passes with summer and holidays blocked out. It draws us down to Orlando, gets us to spend money, and fills the parks. It's called marketing, people. If we want 365 day passes, we pay the same as everyone else. If we want a one day pass in the summer, same as everyone else.

I live about 2.5 hours from the park. I could go there and buy a one day pass but I wouldn't. One day passes are 100 bucks! I can buy a session pass, but I really don't want to go that much. The pass we like is the 3-4 day Florida pass, available in the spring. I might go for one or two days, spend some money, and it is enough for me. I'm not going to go to Disney for an 8 day vacation, spend $200/night for a room and another $1000 on food, parking, etc. I'm just not going to do it. Disney can offer me the 3-4 day pass for $100-150 and they make that, plus food and parking, but otherwise I'm just going to stay away. Are people from Chicago going to come for 1 day or 7 days? They get the break on the 7 day pass rate that I'd never buy because I don't want to go 7 days in a row. Also, Universal offers better Florida rates, as does Sea World. Disney needs to compete for our Florida dollars. Most of the high school kids around here have Universal passes.

For the cruises, same thing. We have lots of choices. I can sail out of Jacksonville on Carnival and save the gas, parking, and hassle. Not as good as DCL, but also thousands and thousands cheaper. If there are Florida rates, then it's only hundreds cheaper and I'll decide it is worth the extra $200 to do DCL.

Just marketing. The Florida rates don't support the ship, but are only offered for 'filler' rates, usually limited to 50 per category per cruise. DCL needs the bulk of the cruise to be people paying full rate. In California, I don't think there was enough interest to fill the cabins at the full rate consistently, so sailing from there wasn't profitable.

Nancy

If we want 365 day passes, we pay the same as everyone else.

No - we have the 365 day FL Resident Annual Pass and it's much cheaper than the non-FL Resident Annual Pass..... It has no black out dates.

However, Nancy is right. We are fillers ;) I live in Tampa; 72 miles to WDW. It's a 1 hr drive. We often go every other week to WDW. However, we do not go at all in March until Easter (Spring Break season), and mid-June thru mid-August (summer tourist season). I wouldn't dream about going the week of Thanksgiving, either. As a local, I support WDW's bottom line on "off seasons."

We also have the FL Resident Water Park after 2pm passes - perfect for us, especially on a Friday, when we can head over after school. That place empties out, we can park right by the entrance & have minimal waits once inside (and if it rains? It's even more empty!!). This is how we get our summer Disney fix (cuz I ain't goin' into the packed parks!!!!). An adult pass is $60 for 365 days. THAT is a deal!!!!

Cruising is the same deal. They need to fill the ship? They look to us. FL residents don't have to book airfare, some of us don't even need to drive up the day before to the port (don't at PC, do for Miami). Very easy to hop on a cruise last minute.

I moved to FL from Ohio and it is every bit as worth it as I hoped :) :) :) I'd only consider moving out of Florida to my favorite island in paradise, St. John. Right now, I'll just let my Disney Cruise ship keep taking me there ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Now now, no need to brag on and on! :D (OK OK. At least being from Ohio, you know how the rest of the world lives.)

Here I thought I had lovely dreams just now of all these girls swimming in our lake with their different colored mermaid tails and I was showing them the shells I made, and my monofin sank but they brought it back up. That's a nice dream.

Then I read this, and you are living the dream! Guess we know why tail number one is green! :)

I don't remember any here. Whee did you see them?

I found the threads that posted pictures. Here is the one in LA that had the same ad on both sides of the billboard.

15dnn01.jpg

Also one in Phoenix.

dclbillboard.jpg

Here are the threads that discussed these.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2821221&highlight=billboard

https://www.facebook.com/

Now now, no need to brag on and on! :D (OK OK. At least being from Ohio, you know how the rest of the world lives.)

Here I thought I had lovely dreams just now of all these girls swimming in our lake with their different colored mermaid tails and I was showing them the shells I made, and my monofin sank but they brought it back up. That's a nice dream.

Then I read this, and you are living the dream! Guess we know why tail number one is green! :)

I just read Sunday's newspaper - Tampa just hosted MerPalooza! International Mermaid Convention. Pool party, pageant & trade show; looks like it would be right up your alley!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter