Fish, fish and more fish! Our First Family Adventure December 2016 **UPDATED: 12/16 Day 1 UO**

Candycane83

DIS Veteran
Hi All!

My family and I went to WDW for our very first family vacation this December and it's been a trip of trial and errors and of course, lots of food!

My name is Candice, the one who really loves Disney in the family (and of course trying to brain wash my 2 year old). DH is Eric who tolerates Disney. My son, Zach is 2 years old and somewhat likes Disney.

We have a 3 part trip- 3 nights at Universal (for Harry Potter of course!), 3 nights at the Swan Hotel and 3 nights at Contemporary Resort where we were on DxDP.

I took some food pictures but not many as my 2 year old distracted me a bit so this will be a fairly short review despite have 12 nights in Orlando. Hoping that I could transfer some of my pictures from my phone so I could start on this soon!

To be continued...

Joining! I hope your first trip to the World was filled with more than just "boo" fish :)

First in line here!!! Following along!!!

Woohooo!!! :cheer2: Great to see you here even while you're still on vacation!!!! :)

Yay! Can't wait to read about your trip!

Yay! Glad to see you here!

I'm here!!

Hello again friend! :) It's like a mini reunion right here! :banana:

Something is fishy here!

Oh yes, fishy fishy! :rotfl:

Sounds great! Looking forward to your review. :-)

Welcome!! So glad you're here! :thumbsup2

this should be one fish, two fish, yum fish, boo fish (and I know where the "boo fish" was!)

I crack myself up!

LOL you really crack me up too! :rotfl2:

I'm in!!

Terri

Welcome!!!! So glad you can join :cheer2:

One fish, two fish.
Red fish, blue fish.

Fish in a tree!
How can that be?

(I have a 2yo. I'm well-versed in the ways of Dr.Suess).
Oh, that song is in my head since we rode that ride in Universal multiple times! :rotfl:

Fish at Disney!
How can that be?

Ok so now my curiosity has got the best of me.

boo fish???

yeah she had some bad fish. booo.
Bahahahahaha! Yes you do crack me up like no tomorrow! :lmao:
Joining! I hope your first trip to the World was filled with more than just "boo" fish :)
Welcome welcome welcome!!! :) I love reading your reviews by the way ;) I had boo fish only once! (I really like that term) :scratchin

DAY 1- (UO) A Lesson in Transportation with a hint of Chocolate

I’ll try starting with a short boring summary of our travel day.

As I mentioned earlier, my son is 2 and it will be our first official family vacation and it will be his first time flying since he was 9 months old. Today will a lesson in transportation. For our flight from Toronto to Union, we decided to ride a cab to a train station to get to the airport. So cab, then train, then airplane! Woohoo! :banana::banana::banana: When we got to Orlando at 1pm, we were met by a car service I hired. They had a van and off we went to Royal Pacific Resort.

We arrived at RPR and my 2 year old was very awed by their gingerbread display. Mainly because he loves trains :rotfl:

We checked in and got our room immediately. We were in Tower 2 and got a really lovely room view! :thumbsup2

We left our bags and went for our first meal! :woohoo:

Ever since I heard of this restaurant, I was beyond excited to try it! At 4pm, we walked in without having to wait. It was good timing too since it was drizzling outside. The interior of the restaurant is very well themed and it smells good in there! Very chocolate-y.

We sat and ordered…

Warm Chocolate Almond Bread 2.95

Fresh chocolate almond bread, salted caramel butter

I found this to be good, not sweet like it implies but just bread with a cocoa flavour. The butter was very good and melted on the warm bread nicely. Everyone on the table loved it especially my 2 year old! LOL!

Wild Mushroom Chicken Risotto- $14.95

White Truffle Oil, parmesan crust

The risotto itself was more liquid than I thought it would be and it lacked a little salt. It reminds me more of thick porridge than risotto. The parmesan crust added a nice texture to it but there was no truffle oil taste that I could discern. I ordered this dish thinking I could share it with my son but alas, he just ate some of the chicken.

Grilled Teriyaki Salmon- $17.95

Asian Inspired, vegetables, jasmine rice, miso broth

My husband ordered this thinking to share with our little one too. Zach usually eats fish, shrimp and chicken so as a spoiler, you will see one at almost every meal we had! Haha! Salmon was cooked to the right temperature and both my husband and son loves rice. Who am I kidding, I do too! Veggies were normal veggies. My son ate a little of the fish and the vegetables. Even if he does love rice, he did not like the broth the rice was sitting on. It was not exactly miso flavoured and it was a little salty. All in all, it is a great dish and good enough that my husband insisted we should come back here for another meal!

Flourless Chocolate Cake -$6.95

Warm Cake, Nutella Ice Cream, raspberry sauce

We were not done yet, of course. Who can come eat at a place like this a skip dessert! The cake was very rich but much softer than I expected. The texture was more like a hard mousse than cake. Not my favorite but I did finish more than half of it. Ice cream was nice as I love Nutella. However, it was not as creamy as I would have liked.

All in all, we liked this restaurant. The place was nice (enough to distract my son for a good hour), food was decent and prices were very reasonable for a theme park! My son was very happy to meet Penelope and Jacque as well. We did want to make time to come back so I had to adjust my plans later. ;)

It was raining so we walked around the store for a while. They have some amazing looking items around. I was thinking of coming back so I did not buy anything yet.

After dinner, we took the boat back to the resort for a rest and to unpack. We were initially thinking of going into Islands of Adventure but the rain and a tired toddler were enough to make us call it a day.:faint:

P.S. Hoping the pictures work out. I could just not figure it out! LOL

What a great start to your report!:cloud9:

I've heard wonderful things about Toothsome but haven't had a chance to try it.

Love your pics! You did a great job. Think I may be in macaron heaven.

Now wondering to myself how I am going to get to Universal. Like now. :D Need that chocolate!

What a great start to your report!:cloud9:

I've heard wonderful things about Toothsome but haven't had a chance to try it.

Love your pics! You did a great job. Think I may be in macaron heaven.

Now wondering to myself how I am going to get to Universal. Like now. :D Need that chocolate!
I sure wish I had more stomach space for a shake and a sundae! LOL! It would take 3 of me to probably eat everything I wanted to! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter