First week of May vs. Second week of September

djk

Mouseketeer
I need some help in weighing the pros and cons of two possible weeks to visit DLR. We're considering either the first week of May (April 30 - May 4) or the second week of September (September 10-14). Low crowds are our main consideration, followed by attractions available and, to some extent, weather. Any firsthand experience or speculation welcome!

Second week in September: HalloweenTime may have started, which means Haunted Mansion and Space will (probably) have their Halloween overlays in place. (They haven't announced the start dates of HalloweenTime yet; that usually happens in mid-summer.) The biggest drawback is that HalloweenTime is very popular, which means weekends are usually very busy in the parks. Hopefully, by then GotG (ToT) will have re-opened, as will have F!, the RoA, and the train.

First Week in May: This is before the summer season starts and after Spring Break season has ended. ToT, RoA, F!, and the train will all still be down at this point and there is the potential for other attractions to also experience closures (with or without much notice). I think there is a chance the crowds will be lower here (but DLR has not announced if they'll have any special activities - like AP Days - during this period yet).

Weather: I don't think you can count on good weather for either period. I've been there in May and September when it's been hot and when it's been nice!

Schedule: Both of these periods are nominally considered non-peak season, so expect shorter operating hours and reduced entertainment (e.g., fireworks on weekends only).

May will be less busy but have more closures. By September all of the rivers, train, and the new Guardian's ride should all be open. However, if Halloween season starts Friday, September 15 (good possibility) then Space and Haunted Mansion will both be closed in September. Your weekday crowds will be okay in September, but evenings will be very crowded if the Halloween stuff opens September 8. September is more likely to be very hot compared to May, though as Figment said weather can surprise you. Generally May weather is nice and the end of April until Grad Nights start is low in crowds. September is back to school so the day crowds are lower, but the evenings get busy with holiday activity. I personally would pick May unless I wanted to see the finished river and/or Halloween.

It can be 100 degrees on either of those dates chosen. But I think the September dates will be less crowded. In May, you'll probably have to deal with Graduation parties. In Sept, I don't think the Halloween hard-ticket events will have started by the 14th. However, Haunted Mansion and Space Mt may be closed during that week. So that might be a biggie for you.

I'll be honest, my last few trips, the crowds have all been up. You really can't avoid them anymore. You might be able to go when you stand in line 5 minutes less, but the off-season has caught up with the busy season (excluding holidays). All the secrets are out.

Thank you all for the good insight! :-) If anyone else has some opinions or experience to share, please do.

I'll be honest, my last few trips, the crowds have all been up. You really can't avoid them anymore. You might be able to go when you stand in line 5 minutes less, but the off-season has caught up with the busy season (excluding holidays). All the secrets are out.

:worried: This is what I was afraid of. The "slow season" is becoming a thing of the past. We have gone the end of April or beginning of May in 2011, 2013 and 2015, and more often than not, it's been busier than we expected. That's part of the reason we are considering a different time of year - maybe that second week of September.

The first Grad Nite is scheduled for May 5th, so they will just miss those if they leave on May 4th.

Yes, this is exactly the reason we are looking at making May 4 our last day in the park - to avoid Grad Night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter