• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First visit to the Grand Californian

BlueBayou

Following the magic
Okay... we probably should not be spending the extra dough... but we are taking the girls (six and 3 1/2 then) to Disneyland in October and staying at the Grand Californian. We have always wanted to stay on site there.

We have never stayed on site. But we wanted to make this trip more than a trip. We wanted it to be a family vacation. I was spoiled as a child taking family vacations to the Carribean beginning at 3rd grade. As an adult and a parent we have spent our vacation time visiting in family in non-resort locations.

Any suggestions for making the trip special for my DDs would be welcome.

We have done a princess breakfast at the Plaza Inn. It was fine but nothing to write home about (except for Mary Poppins - she was cool). I am thinking about Ariel's at DCA. Has anybody been there? We also liked Storytellers back when we only had one kid.

Also any tips for making the GC stay extra special? We are planning to get there around check in time on Saturday and not go to the parks, just hang out at the resort.

Our daughters do not know anything about our plans. I have indicated to my DD5 that next time we go to Disneyland I hope to stay at a hotel with a waterslide. She is a little swimmer... I just wanted to make sure she understood that to go down the slide she would have to be able and willing to swim to the edge of the pool.

We just stayed at GCH last week for our second time. We've got 2 kids (5&8). Gch is great in that it has extra activities available ony to its guests such as build a bear early entry. We did this this past trip and because we went during the GCH early entry the kids also got a slingback backpack for free with purchase. There's also the nightime storytelling by the hearth and a scavenger hunt for kids not to mention the pool. Our youngest (dd5) just went down the big slide for the first time this past trip. We also use vacation planning everytime we stay onsite. This past trip, we had the balloons and autograph photo delievered to our room and the kids were so excited that Mickey knew we were back at one of his hotels. At check in, the kids also received a little goody bags of coloring books, postacrds and the newest disney adventures maagzine. We also had snacks delievered to our room this trip and that was a big hit with the kids. We've had gift baskets delievered in the past as well which the kids ejoyed a lot.

Our favorite character meal interaction is Lilo & Stitch and Goofy's Kitchen. If you've got 2 girls then Ariel's grotto might be a good choice for lunch or dinner. We've never done Plaza Inn so I can't comment, but lots of people have a lot of positive things to say about the place. We like Storyteller's too, but it has more obscure characters. At storyteller's and Lilo & Stitch you can order off the menu or get the buffet. We like that option since we're not all big buffet eaters. In the afternoons we loved grabbing lunch at White Water Snacks and bringing it to the pool. We spent at least 2 hours a t the pool each day. We also noticed lots of people who are waiting for their room for to be ready hanging out at the poole with their kids.

Have a great time. I don't think you'll be disappointed with the hotel.

We loved the hotel - and will be going back again in October. One minor warning though - and hopefully it was just a glitch because we arrived last Thanksgiving - but we had to wait 2 hours after "check - in" to get our rooms. We were very frustrated for the delay - so it just might be something to keep in the back of your head - my hope is that it will never happen again, but I figured I would warn you - just in case.

How did you find out about Build a Bear EE?? The kids would love that - but they never told me about - hopefully we can do it in October...

I'm hoping the Build a Bear early entry will be available for us when we go too. I wish I knew for sure, otherwise I would just book us in as a party since there are enough of us.

The build a bear early entry as well as the other activities are found on the activities sheet they place in your room during turn down service. It list activities available for the following day as well as the next 2 days after that. You need to reserve a spot by calling guest services. I don't believe they offer it everyday. We booked the morning of and luckily snagged the last 2 spots. We were even able to use a $5 off $25 coupon in making our purchase.

victorandbellasmom said:
In the afternoons we loved grabbing lunch at White Water Snacks and bringing it to the pool.

Better yet, get to the pool and have the lunch brought to you from White Water Snacks. I thought their poolside service was very good.

victorandbellasmom said:
We also use vacation planning everytime we stay onsite. This past trip, we had the balloons and autograph photo delievered to our room and the kids were so excited that Mickey knew we were back at one of his hotels. At check in, the kids also received a little goody bags of coloring books, postacrds and the newest disney adventures maagzine. We also had snacks delievered to our room this trip and that was a big hit with the kids. We've had gift baskets delievered in the past as well which the kids ejoyed a lot.

How did you arrange all of this? Do you have to go through DCA?

Also, is the scavenger hunt every evening?

M&C said:
Better yet, get to the pool and have the lunch brought to you from White Water Snacks. I thought their poolside service was very good.

I agree about the pool bar having great service. I think the hotel in general has great service. I noticed that the OP was going in October. When we went last October it was considered low-season, and the pool bar wasn't open. We had to go to the hearthstone lounge to get our maragritas by the pool and had to order our food at WhiteWater Snacks ourselves.

POOH&PIGLET said:
How did you arrange all of this? Do you have to go through DCA?

Also, is the scavenger hunt every evening?

Not quite sure what you mean by DCA, but we called vacation planning (not reservations) to set up the little extras in our room including the balloons, autograph photos (both which were free of charge). I believe you could also email vacation planning. The snacks and gift baskets we have to pay for. The goody bag at check in was an unexpected surprise. Ds(8) was thrilled to get the newest Disney Adventures magazine while dd(5) was just excited to have a goody bag of coloring book and postcard. Did I mention how much I love GCH yet?

I'm not quite sure if the scavenger hunt is daily or not. We did it the first night we checked in and noticed it was the same questions as last October so we only did it once this trip. The kids also get a little treat for completing the hunt.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I am really looking forward to the visit.

I will have to look into the vacation planning services.

victorandbellasmom, M&C, dizzyami - What kind of view did you book. We are just down for a standard/city view. I hope that won't take away from the magic. My DD5 is just looking forward to having a balcony.

Sher

We booked the downtown disney view, but my husband got there first and was told we were upgraded to the pool view. It was a nice view, but I thought the downtown disney one sounds interesting. Will try for the downtown disney view next time. :)

M&C

We booked a downtown disney view and were on top of the store Sephora. We loved having a view of the fireworks and sitting on our balcony watching people moving around downtown disney. My dh's siter, mom & grandmother stayed in the room adjoining ours and his granmother complained that the room was a long walk away from the elevators. That was her only complaint about the hotel though.

Yeah - some of those walks inside the hotel are very long - that has been our only complaint too!

We have a standard view booked next time and have had DD, Park View and standard - any of them are nice. The view of the "Monorail Courtyard" is standard view and it's very serene.

I have DD(7) & DS (9) and we are staying here for the first time in late October! We've already got our Mickey's Halloween Treat Tickets. All the stuff at GCH sounds great. (Story telling, scavenger hunt, BB EE!!) Someone mentioned the information is available on a handout provided at turndown? Is there any way to get advance calendar of events for the GCH? I'd love to be able to "plan" a few things. We will be going with 3 other families, and I'd like some time with just my kids...
:artist:

Kelli@40! said:
I Is there any way to get advance calendar of events for the GCH? ..
:artist:

I've never bothered to ask for an advanced schedule of activities but vacation planning might be a place to ask. You can email (vacationplanning@disneyonline.com) them or call them. I don't know the # off the top of my head but a quick search on this forum will find it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter