First trip without our kids...

PrestonatorSR

Mouseketeer
Today DW and I made reservations for WDW in July. And we are excited because our middle daughter now works there--which is cool (she was 6 when we made our first trip there:)). So that part of it will be very fun!!

But on the other side of the equation is the reality that our oldest daughter (soon-to-be 27) and youngest family member (our son, soon-to-be HS graduate) will likely not be with us on this trip. We have never been there without him--he was like 2.5 when we made our first trip.

So when I started making dining plans, etc., my heart suddenly sank when I pictured him not being with us. It was kind of an icky feeling, to be honest. I know, I know, such a transition is part of life; and many of you have expressed on these boards that you can indeed have great fun in this "new chapter" of parenthood.

But I think it's going to be tough on my wife and me. Yes, we can appreciate (at long last) a quiet evening with dinner, etc., and those adult things we could never do on previous trips. It's just that I know that our hearts will likely also be aching--thinking about Disney days gone by with the kids. Maybe it will be better once we get through this first experience without them?

Any wisdom or encouragement out there?

We are going to be struggling with the same thing. Our kids are young but we are planning our first adults only trip for next year and it's already breaking my heart to not be taking the kids.

We took our first empty nest trip about 2 weeks after our DS went off to college. We had never been there without him, so yes at first it was a little bit heartbreaking.

We had a fabulous time! We enjoyed each other's company so much. Yes we did miss him, and so many times we would stop and say "Oh wish Stitch was here because he would love this!" On the other hand, we didn't have to eat at Chef Mickey's, when I wanted to linger in different shops I wasn't rushed, we felt we could sit at a bar and enjoy a drink. Having a DS I never got the chance to stop and have pics with the Princesses, so DH went along with having lunch at Akershus and dinner at CRT for me. We had so much fun and didn't feel a bit bad about it! While on IASW I called DS and got his voice mail so I let the song play for as long as the message would hold- DS did not find it as funny as we did:rolleyes1

Me and DH have since been on a cruise, WDW, Universal and Nashville without DS and have had wonderful trips on our own :love2:

All that being said, DS hasn't been since 2015 and we have a just for him trip planned in May. He will come in from college on Thursday night and we have a 5:45AM flight out the next morning. We'll be doing 3 nights at Universal and 7 at WDW, we are all excited about getting to vacation together again. He's now old enough to sit at the bar and have a drink with us, but still wants his Chef Mickey's meal, lol.

So you can enjoy yourself without the kids and know that there will be another trip with them-everyone wins :daisy:.

DS leaves in September for college. I'm struggling with planning a 20 year anniversary trip to Disney this fall because the thought of it makes me cry. Sheesh, I'm crying reading this thread. Mom2Stitch, you post gives me hope, thank you.

Sorry, I'm not much help but you are certainly not alone!

DH and I went without our kids this past fall. It was an anniversary trip but I did feel a little guilty. I admit at first it was strange not having them with us but I quickly got over it and had a great time. So great, that I am hoping to go back in the fall of 2018 without them and instead take a couple of friends (without their kids LOL).

Disney is so fun without kids! I might even venture to say it's actually more fun. I love going with my son, but every year my husband and I take an anniversary trip alone together and we have such a great time.

Disney is so fun without kids! I might even venture to say it's actually more fun. I love going with my son, but every year my husband and I take an anniversary trip alone together and we have such a great time.

Agree. As much as I love going with the whole family, I think my kid-free trips are my favorite. We went 2x and left the kids home and they were still fairly young (like 6-7 and 10-11), so I thought I might feel guilt, but I really didn't, lol. ;p It was so nice to just do what WE wanted to do when we wanted to do it, instead of rushing around and making sure we got every ride and character in. And I knew I'd still have many future trips with the kids.

But, I can see how going for the first time without your kids because they are all grown could be bittersweet......in that case, I would just think about how someday you will return with the kids and THEIR kids....but for now, enjoy the kid-free trips.

We have a family trip in early may, and an adult trip in December. Disney is so diverse that you can enjoy the family trip, yet still do adult things when alone. We enjoy both, and yes we do miss the kids on our alone trips, but tease them and tell them what we do when they are not with us. Fine dining, an adult beverage, no running or rushing, etc. Eventually, I hope to be invited to the first Disney trip for my grandkids (if I ever have any!)

I think there are two different types of trips we're talking about. One is when you have the option to take your kids, but don't because you and your spouse are enjoying some well deserved couples' time in your favorite place. My DH and I have done this a few times and have truly loved each one! (we are doing it again in just a few weeks!)

The other type is when you're children have started to grow up, and bringing them with you isn't an option. We are also facing this for the first time. I'm not loving it! Our oldest DD's are now 22, one is working full time and the other is a full time intern. There is no way they can come with us for our annual trip in August. There is definitely something different about knowing all those years of family trips are coming to an end. I keep trying to remind myself that while this is definitely an adjustment, we are still going to enjoy ourselves and our DD's are enjoying their young adulthood. (one of them is actually using some of our DVC points with a friend over Labor Day Weekend, so at least she is going!) I am wondering how we will feel at the Hoop Dee Doo Revue, since that has been a yearly tradition and favorite of all of us. (sigh)

Anyway, DH and I already know we enjoy trips with just the two of us. And maybe we should enjoy these next few years of "quiet" trips before grandchildren show up someday and we start bringing them LOL!!

So as a parent still in the trenches, five kids at home, and the youngest two not even in school yet, go-enjoy, reminisce and enjoy all the adult time WDW has to offer! Life is all about different phases and stages, and the transitions are hardest. I suspect before you know it you will be planning trips with your adult children and their significant others, and then it will be with your grandkids! Each phase is different but has something great to offer. And while you are there, grab an adult beverage and sit on a bench and watch the crazy parents go by, or better yet, offer the parents with the toddler losing their minds some encouragement, spread some pixie dust and have a great couples trip. And if you see me schlepping my five kids around the park-remind me that it goes by all too fast!

Our kids are 13, 6 and 4. We went on our first kid-free disney trip last week. We had a great time. Ate at places we normally wouldn't with the kids. Enjoyed taking our time with all the food booths at flower and garden, including stopping for several drinks, which is something we rarely do with the kids. Checked out several lounges for drinks and small plates instead of full meals. Also went to Trader Sams. Took our time in the parks, including only spending half a day at crazy MK and instead enjoyed the slower pace of AK and Epcot more. Walked through Disney Springs without kids wanting to buy everything.

There were several times I saw parents with cranky kids or wrestling with strollers and I thought "Yay, not us." And, of course, other times I wished our kids were there to experience things (like ROL for the first time). I did come home wanting to go back with the kids sooner than planned and with a list of things to do with them.

It was a great trip. Not necessarily better or worse, just different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter