First trip with toddler--some observations

srwarden1928

DIS Veteran
I have just finished a WDW trip with my family, which included me-50ish widow with no children and little experience with very small ones, BIL--60s grandfather of toddler, niece--29 yo mother of toddler, great nephew--age 2.5. We all had a great time. Traveling with such a young child was so different. I feel that I need to make some comments due to things I have read on the boards.

1. Do NOT resent families for child swap. I discussed with my niece touring strategies beforehand, and basically got the fastpasses I would have wanted if I were travelling either alone or with only this niece. We have a great many shared trips under our belt, and have similar ideas about how a vacation should work. A ride that just the two of us would have been on, off, and moving on in 15-20 minutes just the two of us took an hour to get the three of us a ride. It is possible that a small percentage of families may use child swap to game the system. I would bet that most families who use child swap end up running behind the plans they would have had without needing child swap so everyone can ride.

2. I had no idea how much of a pain using a stroller could be. My niece was the first one to identify how much of a pain the stroller was, so one day she left it at the room and carried her son in her Tula all day. While she used the Tula some every day, we just HAD to have a stroller. That meant it had to be parked over and over again, then retrieved over and over again. Small children walk slower than adults, but compared to the extra time of parking and retrieving the stroller, I think it would be easier to let them walk at their own pace. My niece said she can't wait until the stroller is a thing of the past. I certainly won't miss it at all.

3. Five days is NOT enough time to do WDW with a toddler. Their stamina shortens the day. You just can't move as fast. Child swap to allow everyone to ride something takes a lot of time. Parking and retrieving a stroller takes a lot of time. You just don't accomplish in a day what those of us who travel without children this small usually do. Therefore you just need more days to get everything done you would want to. If we had 8-10 days I think we might have gotten through everything once and a few things twice.

All in all we all had a wonderful trip and can't wait to get to come again. It sure was different. I hope this essay benefits someone.

It’s always interesting to me how different people’s experiences can be!

I totally agree with #1.

I didn’t find using the stroller to be an inconvenience at all, and thought that the parking and retrieval process was quite easy and efficient, actually. It was something I was concerned about before we went, but once we were there, it was a breeze. The thought of carrying a 30 lb 18 month old around in 95 degree heat (even in a carrier) makes me shudder. For us, using the stroller was way way way easier.

We also did 5 days and we thought it was perfect. We had a great trip, but it definitely wore us out! We will likely do longer trips in the future when our son can keep up a little better.

I’m glad you had a great trip though! I’m sure your niece and the little one had fun as well!

I have just finished a WDW trip with my family, which included me-50ish widow with no children and little experience with very small ones, BIL--60s grandfather of toddler, niece--29 yo mother of toddler, great nephew--age 2.5. We all had a great time. Traveling with such a young child was so different. I feel that I need to make some comments due to things I have read on the boards.

1. Do NOT resent families for child swap. I discussed with my niece touring strategies beforehand, and basically got the fastpasses I would have wanted if I were travelling either alone or with only this niece. We have a great many shared trips under our belt, and have similar ideas about how a vacation should work. A ride that just the two of us would have been on, off, and moving on in 15-20 minutes just the two of us took an hour to get the three of us a ride. It is possible that a small percentage of families may use child swap to game the system. I would bet that most families who use child swap end up running behind the plans they would have had without needing child swap so everyone can ride.

2. I had no idea how much of a pain using a stroller could be. My niece was the first one to identify how much of a pain the stroller was, so one day she left it at the room and carried her son in her Tula all day. While she used the Tula some every day, we just HAD to have a stroller. That meant it had to be parked over and over again, then retrieved over and over again. Small children walk slower than adults, but compared to the extra time of parking and retrieving the stroller, I think it would be easier to let them walk at their own pace. My niece said she can't wait until the stroller is a thing of the past. I certainly won't miss it at all.

3. Five days is NOT enough time to do WDW with a toddler. Their stamina shortens the day. You just can't move as fast. Child swap to allow everyone to ride something takes a lot of time. Parking and retrieving a stroller takes a lot of time. You just don't accomplish in a day what those of us who travel without children this small usually do. Therefore you just need more days to get everything done you would want to. If we had 8-10 days I think we might have gotten through everything once and a few things twice.

All in all we all had a wonderful trip and can't wait to get to come again. It sure was different. I hope this essay benefits someone.

People resent others who use child swap?That's a new one. How would anyone even know? The rest I agree with. I don't miss pushing around a double stroller at all! And so true about the amount of time. People used to think that we, as Floridians, could stay a week. Having little ones, you really cannot do as much with getting them (and yourself) adequate rest. Some of our best times were spent relaxing in the room while people watching from the BWV balcony with wine while the kids slept or played.

While we have not journey to WDW with our toddler yet, I already know I agree with #1. I always wonder if the people complaining remember (or just don’t have personal experience with) how much extra time it takes to do anything with small children. I had thought a normal FP+ would probably become an hour long ordeal as opposed to the 15-20 minute norm. Not even factoring in the possibility of not making FP+ reservations because we had to leave early due to a cranky/tired child.

#2 I’m a total stroller fan. I think it’s because my not even 1 year old is the size of 2 year old (without the mobility of one), and this mama’s arms are tired (he’s also abnormally strong, which adds to the challenge). We have carried him in a wrap and structured carrier, but we definitely prefer the stroller. Depending on his age when we go, I might still bring one for lines. I’m not looking forward to the parking thing (mostly because I’m a worry wart about it getting stolen). I’ve only had to park it once at a theme park, but I’m totally willing to deal with it to have use of the stroller.

#3 I don’t know how long we will go, but I have resigned myself to it being a trip where we don’t get to do everything and that’s OK. We’ll try to accomplish our favorites and everything else is just bonus.

Thank you so much for your insights!

While we have not journey to WDW with our toddler yet, I already know I agree with #1. I always wonder if the people complaining remember (or just don’t have personal experience with) how much extra time it takes to do anything with small children. I had thought a normal FP+ would probably become an hour long ordeal as opposed to the 15-20 minute norm. Not even factoring in the possibility of not making FP+ reservations because we had to leave early due to a cranky/tired child.

#2 I’m a total stroller fan. I think it’s because my not even 1 year old is the size of 2 year old (without the mobility of one), and this mama’s arms are tired (he’s also abnormally strong, which adds to the challenge). We have carried him in a wrap and structured carrier, but we definitely prefer the stroller. Depending on his age when we go, I might still bring one for lines. I’m not looking forward to the parking thing (mostly because I’m a worry wart about it getting stolen). I’ve only had to park it once at a theme park, but I’m totally willing to deal with it to have use of the stroller.

#3 I don’t know how long we will go, but I have resigned myself to it being a trip where we don’t get to do everything and that’s OK. We’ll try to accomplish our favorites and everything else is just bonus.

Thank you so much for your insights!

I hear you on #2. My son was over 27 lbs at a year and 30 lbs by 18 months. We waited until he was 18 months to go to Disney so that he could do some of the walking in lines on his own. I quit using the carrier at a year. My back couldn’t take it. I’m quite small as well - 5’3 and 112 lbs, so 30 lbs is a large % of my body weight being added!! My son has always liked the stroller and that’s just fine by me!

I hear you on #2. My son was over 27 lbs at a year and 30 lbs by 18 months. We waited until he was 18 months to go to Disney so that he could do some of the walking in lines on his own. I quit using the carrier at a year. My back couldn’t take it. I’m quite small as well - 5’3 and 112 lbs, so 30 lbs is a large % of my body weight being added!! My son has always liked the stroller and that’s just fine by me!

Ours likes his stroller too! He liked the carriers fine when he was a newborn, and he’ll tolerate them now, but he’s not a snuggler unless he’s tired or sick. He’s much happier in his stroller with his toys and pulling up on the bumper bar. I thought I would be much more of a baby wearer, but then I delivered a hulk baby.

I’m hoping he’s walking (he takes steps at this point) when we go to WDW and isn’t a whiner about standing. Though, I think the bigger issue is going to be getting him to not bust into an acrobatics act in line.

Ours likes his stroller too! He liked the carriers fine when he was a newborn, and he’ll tolerate them now, but he’s not a snuggler unless he’s tired or sick. He’s much happier in his stroller with his toys and pulling up on the bumper bar. I thought I would be much more of a baby wearer, but then I delivered a hulk baby.

I’m hoping he’s walking (he takes steps at this point) when we go to WDW and isn’t a whiner about standing. Though, I think the bigger issue is going to be getting him to not bust into an acrobatics act in line.

How old is your son? Mine started walking at 14 months. He’s 23 months now and not snuggly any more. He MUST be running at all times!

How old is your son? Mine started walking at 14 months. He’s 23 months now and not snuggly any more. He MUST be running at all times!

He’s 11 months. He was a VERY snuggly newborn (wanted to be held at all times), but as he’s gotten older he wants me to play with him and not so much hold him. He reverts back to his snuggly self when tired or not feeling well. He’ll take steps but once he falls he just goes back to crawling (he started taking steps at 10 months). I kind of thought he’d walk early because he did all the other “physical milestones” early, but he seems pretty content with standing, bouncing, and crawling. I’m not looking forward to him running! It’s already a trip grabbing him as he crawls away from me.

1. I’m happy child swap exists. I have a 1yo and 2.5yo and we don’t use it because DH and I are not riding anything that one or both of the kids can’t go on. I’m so excited to rediscover the thrills when these kids are a little older. I’ve never enjoyed the Barnstormer but now that I rode with my 2.5yo, it was one of my favorite things we did. She had a blast on it. There are people in our group who all do the big rides still but DH and I have just decided to skip them for the time being until the kids can do them too. Child swap is an important benefit for families even though we don’t use it.

2. I love having our stroller. No issues with it at all for us! I would not have my kids walk the entire time at their ages or they would tucker out way faster than they already do. They are only 18 months apart so the stroller is really helpful. I also like having it because both my kids will nap there while we are in the parks. Plus a place to stash extra gear. I will miss my stroller when it’s gone :)

3. You’re right. You can’t possibly fit everything in. We get 5 day passes knowing we won’t do everything. We have chosen to focus on only the stuff our kids can do right now which really frees things up. I approach the parks much differently than when we did not have kids. We show up with a “we’ll do what we can do” attitude and then we are never disappointed. We do go there about every 1-2 years, though, so what we miss we just try to catch the next time.

Very interesting! Will be doing my first WDW trip with a child next month, so not speaking from experience yet. But I rarely take the stroller anywhere for my almost 3 yr old, and never have. If I could go back in time, I wouldn't even have purchased it. I babywore until he could walk, and since he was 10 months he's been walking some or all of the time when we go out. I rarely wear him now (34 lbs), but we do the zoo, Six Flags and the TX State Fair all without a stroller and he's good for up to about 5 miles in 4 hours at those places.

Trying to decide whether to take the stroller or not. Would rather not deal with the hassle, and we're returning to the room for a nap every day, so I'm tempted to leave it. Other thought is to order a cheap umbrella from Amazon and have it shipped to the resort, so that if he tires in the morning we can use it in the evening. Then I'm not transporting our Britax. An umbrella is cheaper than the stroller bag. Thoughts?

My niece HATED dealing with the umbrella stroller. It was difficult to push and just as hard to park and retrieve. Then day 2 she wore him. He usually prefers that, and she did some every day, but it was tiring for her. The other days she took the big stroller. This was clearly the best option, although it certainly wasn't perfect. My niece said she looks forward to not needing one at all. But the best choice for her was the big stroller AND the tula.

2. I'd take the big stroller over the umbrella any day. We actually have a sit 'n stand stroller for DS 18 months and DD 4. We created a hammock type thing that fit over the handle bars that allowed her to face forward on the back seat and lie back to take a nap. I think the mindset at Disney is you never know who's stroller is who's - it could be the person standing next to you - so no one messes with anyone else's 90% of the time. Of course, there's the crazy lady that stalked expensive ones and stole them recently, but that's a rare occurrence. For our trip a few weeks ago, we left the diaper bag, cups, etc. on the stroller when it was parked and had nothing touched. It's nice to have a "home base" for all the stuff - even just keeping a throw-away cup of water that you couldn't take on a ride. We saw many an umbrella stroller turn over with too much stuff on it once the kid got out. I don't think the parking thing is a hassle at all. With most rides, it's right there. With others, like Fantasy Land, you can park it and do several rides in the area before going to pick it up. We are a rope drop to fire works kind of family and both kids got daily naps in the stroller in the park, parked in a shady area or somewhere inside. (The festival center at Food and Wine had a whole open side with booth-type benches that wasn't being used at all. DD4 hung out with grandpa there for a good hour+ nap! I'm sure we'll be taking a stroller until the kids are both a lot bigger. If I can save hours by not having to go back to the room to rest or nap, I'll park and pick up a stroller all day long!

1. We didn't run into any issues with child swap. I don't think most people even know what you're doing when you hand over the paper fast pass! It does allow you to cheat the system some (i.e. getting FP or both Test Track and Soarin') but as someone else said, it's kind of a reward for doing everything else at toddler pace. We had 4 adults and 2 kids (4 and 1.5), so we'd book us and DD on whichever ride I think she'd like best and book grandparents on the second ride. We'd all show DS and get a child swap pass, then get to ride the ride we weren't FP+ booked for and DD got to ride twice on the one she had a FP+ for.

3. We did 6 park days and still missed several things. Only DD and grandma got in the pool because we'd rather be at the parks and grandma has a pool at home. I will say it was very nice having grandparents with us on the trip because they took kids back to hotel after dinner two nights and DH and I got to be kids and parkhop to EMH!

And it is those families that people resent. Not the families that have a child that can't ride.

Who does it? Well, there are people here, on DIS that do it. In fact, if you look, you can find detailed instructions on how to ride both of the newest rides at Animal Kingdom.

Everyone should be concerned about those that cheat the system. Those are the people that force Disney to change their policy. Ever wonder why you are charged $10 per person if you forget to cancel a dining reservation? Or why they moved from having the GAC to the DAS, for those with disabilities? It is because people were cheating the system.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter