First trip dining Gluten Free

We are just back from our Disney cruise that included one day at Walt Disney World. It was amazing!!! We only had one meal at WDW but it was a good one!! I am very impressed with Be Our Guest. Lunch was reasonably priced and the atmosphere was wonderful. It is a must see especially for those with food allergies. They have a computer ordering system that will note your allergies and only show you the menu choices that are safe for you. I chose braised pork with green beans and mashed potatoes and Lemon raspberry cream puff that was GF and no sugar added. It was so easy and the food was good! I highly recommend it!!!

We are just back from our Disney cruise that included one day at Walt Disney World. It was amazing!!! We only had one meal at WDW but it was a good one!! I am very impressed with Be Our Guest. Lunch was reasonably priced and the atmosphere was wonderful. It is a must see especially for those with food allergies. They have a computer ordering system that will note your allergies and only show you the menu choices that are safe for you. I chose braised pork with green beans and mashed potatoes and Lemon raspberry cream puff that was GF and no sugar added. It was so easy and the food was good! I highly recommend it!!!
I agree.. had tuna nicole ( or something like that) and the Lemon Puff for desert..wonderful! best experience ever!..definately going back..

Got back from Disneyland... and I followed this thread before I left.
I don't have any allergies, but do eat a very specific diet that excludes: corn (or corn-based products), soy, all dairy, legumes (including peanuts and peanut products), all grains and gluten, sugar, and specific preservatives (including MSG). Since my system is very clean any kind inclusion typically throws me for a loop and makes me fairly sick.

No matter how specific I was at restaurants while away, nothing ever came out perfect. In some ways, I was expecting that to happen, so I was completely prepared to feel sick some of the times. And since I don't have an allergy, I can't complain too much, but I can only imagine how horrible this experience would have been if I was actually allergic. It was nearly impossible to find foods that met the criteria, vegetables were a slim commodity in ANY meal, fresh fruit was plentiful (typically at home I limit fruit to 1-2 servings per day... but while away I had to make-do).

I noticed, at least at Disneyland, that gluten-free was actually pretty easy to source out. And the same holds true for dairy-free meals; easy to find.
The problem came in when you asked for multitudes of things... so if you are both gluten and dairy sensitive? Too bad.
I never expected to find sugar-free, soy-free, and/or corn-free meals. That simply was impossible and I had to make decisions where I could.

We at Goofey's Kitchen, Carnation Cafe, Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Mollie's Kitchen (Sheraton Park Hotel), Plaza Inn, Naples, Tortilla Joe's, and the Pacific Warf. Surprisingly... the best meals that fit into my plan were counter service at Pacific Warf and the turkey leg cart! We found the flexibility at table service to be lacking tremendously.

Got back from Disneyland... and I followed this thread before I left.
I don't have any allergies, but do eat a very specific diet that excludes: corn (or corn-based products), soy, all dairy, legumes (including peanuts and peanut products), all grains and gluten, sugar, and specific preservatives (including MSG). Since my system is very clean any kind inclusion typically throws me for a loop and makes me fairly sick.

No matter how specific I was at restaurants while away, nothing ever came out perfect. In some ways, I was expecting that to happen, so I was completely prepared to feel sick some of the times. And since I don't have an allergy, I can't complain too much, but I can only imagine how horrible this experience would have been if I was actually allergic. It was nearly impossible to find foods that met the criteria, vegetables were a slim commodity in ANY meal, fresh fruit was plentiful (typically at home I limit fruit to 1-2 servings per day... but while away I had to make-do).

I noticed, at least at Disneyland, that gluten-free was actually pretty easy to source out. And the same holds true for dairy-free meals; easy to find.
The problem came in when you asked for multitudes of things... so if you are both gluten and dairy sensitive? Too bad.
I never expected to find sugar-free, soy-free, and/or corn-free meals. That simply was impossible and I had to make decisions where I could.

We at Goofey's Kitchen, Carnation Cafe, Big Thunder Ranch BBQ, Bubba Gump Shrimp Co., Mollie's Kitchen (Sheraton Park Hotel), Plaza Inn, Naples, Tortilla Joe's, and the Pacific Warf. Surprisingly... the best meals that fit into my plan were counter service at Pacific Warf and the turkey leg cart! We found the flexibility at table service to be lacking tremendously.

This is exactly what has me nervous about our DL trip we're planning for this summer. I figure I'll plan the DL days of our trip no different than the other days of our CA trip (mostly LA but probably a few days on San Diego as well) with the expectation that other than TS restaurants we'll need to brown bag most of our food (I figure they can at least pull off a steak with steamed veggies at a TS restaurant if nothing else is available). A couple years ago we were planning a DL trip and ended up scrapping it because they just don't do things the way WDW does when it comes to allergies and I was so frustrated with the lack of information (I finally got somebody on the phone who told me they couldn't give me any information until I got to a park) and the reviews that weren't nearly as good as WDW. We have 3 people with laundry lists of allergies, not all of which are common ones. At least now I know how to set my expectations.

Honestly I thought the same thing... Getting a Steak and veggies would be doable. It was nearly impossible! Everything was slathered with some sort of sauce or additive. Even talking to the chef didn't help.

Sorry that I can't be more reassuring. But I figure you'd prefer honesty... The citrus chicken at pacific warf was good and compliant!

Honestly I thought the same thing... Getting a Steak and veggies would be doable. It was nearly impossible! Everything was slathered with some sort of sauce or additive. Even talking to the chef didn't help.

Sorry that I can't be more reassuring. But I figure you'd prefer honesty... The citrus chicken at pacific warf was good and compliant!

The steaks at the TS restaurants were cooked in the sauce? They didn't just grill them and put the sauce on at the end which would allow for just leaving the sauce off? WOW! I really need to look over menus to figure out if there's anything at each restaurant which would be safe.

Citrus anything wouldn't work for my kids since neither can have any citrus fruit. Sigh....

Yes I do prefer honesty. Knowing what to expect is EXTREMELY important to me so thank you! I appreciate learning about your first hand experiences.

Yup. At both Goofy's Kitchen and the BBQ the ribs were slathered. At GK I asked for them without sauce and they told me the ribs come with sauce and they are unable to remove it. Although there they were able to provide a piece of salmon without the cream sauce.

At the BBQ they could do ribs without sauce but it took them 45 minutes to bring them to the table. By that point the family had all eaten and was ready to leave.

Is a gluten free breakfast available at the Kona Cafe? If so, what choices are available? I'm traveling with a Gluten free adult friend & don't want to steer her wrong.

We ate a late breakfast there two weeks ago. Three of the four of us are gluten among many other things free. I was disappointed that they couldn't make us pancakes (the only surface they had for pancakes was used for all the non-akllergy stuff) but they could do Mickey waffles. DD12 got a ham omelette with an Udi's bagel instead of the biscuit (she can't eat the GNI buns that the chef normally would serve instead of the biscuit). She couldn't have cheese in the omelette because she's dairy free and they don't carry soy cheese unless you notify them ahead of time that you'll want it (I didn't know that then but now I do). DD15 didn't want waffles because she had eaten a lot of them all week so the chef offered to make her something from the lunch menu since we had the last breakfast seating and the lunch stuff was already being brought out. I had heard that they can make a GF tonga toast so that's what I asked for. It seems that was a specialty of Chef Johnny who has since moved over to 'Ohana for breakfasts but the chef said he'd see what he could do. I ended up with what they called tonga sliders which was 4 of the GNI rolls made into french toast (they take a while to soak up the egg mixture so it takes a little while) stuffed with mashed bananas, topped with cinnamon and sugar and served with a strawberry compote. He wasn't sure how it would turn out but I enjoyed it. If nothing else, it was something different. I'm not sure if all of the chefs would be willing to make this or not. As I said, it was something Chef Johnny used to do and he's no longer there. If I remember correctly, the macadamia nut butter was something we couldn't have either but I think that was because of the butter. The chef did offer to whip up some Earth Balance margarine with some crushed macadamia nuts for us but it was DD15 who wanted it for pancakes and without the pancakes she didn't need the macadamia nut butter.

Yup. At both Goofy's Kitchen and the BBQ the ribs were slathered. At GK I asked for them without sauce and they told me the ribs come with sauce and they are unable to remove it. Although there they were able to provide a piece of salmon without the cream sauce.

At the BBQ they could do ribs without sauce but it took them 45 minutes to bring them to the table. By that point the family had all eaten and was ready to leave.

Sometimes when things are covered in sauce and thats my only option or best option. Seasonings throw my stomach way off.
I politely ask them if they can run it under water to get some of the sauce off of it then cook it. They give me a funny look, and sometimes it helps, other times no luck. Mostly I don't eat out for the reason so many places pre-season all the meats.

That technique (the rinsing won't help a food allergy), but may be useful to some.

Hello. I'm traveling with my family in September to wdw and I was wondering if you could give me some help on TS meals that are gluten free for me. My kids are dairy free also

Here is what I have planned and can change

Night one: it's my 15 yr anniversary and hubs wanted to go to the spirit of aloha
Night 2: be your guest
Night 3 unsure but it's an Epcot day
Night 4 is kona
Night 5 50's pt or sci fI
Night 6 liberty tree tavern
Night 7 garden grill maybe
Night 8 plaza
Night 9 chef mickeys

Any help would be appreciated

We've been to kona and mickeys before and 50's PT but not as a celiac lol

Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter