First TR: Disneyland 60th Birthday

ZamboniNerd

Earning My Ears
Greetings all, this is first day on The Dis (long time, first time) and first trip report. Finally took the plunge of joining after reading so many, but importantly a proper laptop to write from (the Surface is great!). My soon to be DW and I took a long weekend to celebrate Disneyland's 60th Birthday with our first "home" stay at VGC. We revel being DINKs, both growing up in the shadow of Walt's creation, but now in Pittsburgh.

Day 1: Flight into SNA and lunch at Philly's Best (best cheesesteaks outside Philly) and arrival at VGC near noon. Check in, check bags and off to DCA for some fun. We had purchased Premier Passports at Hollywood Studios and the Disney computers do not like that. After some excellent help, we had two day park hoppers in hand. Off to fun and frivolity until our room was ready around 4. Once showered and changed, it was off to Carthay Circle and drinks in the lounge (I recommend the Manhattan or Scotch Mist). Dinner enjoy it was time for WOC Celebrate. We loved the original WOC and this version slightly disappoints us. Perhaps too much NPH? After a bottle of wine with dinner we called it a night.

Day 2 (July 17): I read rumors DL would open early, so I wake us at crack of dawn to get ready in our 50s summer best (Mary Blair inspired skirt for her, summer attire for me). A quick wait of 30 minutes at the turnstiles, then we are all let in to the end of Main Street. We duck off to rent a locker (had to wait in line), because we expected park to fill up. From there we cut through shops to front of line where we hear the opening announcement at 7am and we are off to Tomorrowland. Ended up with 8 rides before 10am. Breakfast with characters during the ceremonies (we watch on Periscope, not 100 feet away), then a relaxing day moving from line to line and taking time to sit and people watch. Dinner was had in Blue Bayou, always fantastic, then out to my favorite Fantasmic. Caught the early show to watch fireworks. What an amazing display Disney had developed, cant wait to watch from Main Street! A couple quick rides then time to sit near Snow White's Grotto awaiting PTN! In this time, I purchased our first Made with Magic items and had a blast "battling" with people nearby. Paint the Night is a fantastic homage to Main Street Electrical Parade and we both enjoyed it. Once over, back to VGC for little sleep since adrenaline was pumping.

Day 3: Quick rides and shopping in DL and DCA then off to check out. Once we realized it was only 11am, decided it was off to our favorite bar, Trader Sam's! Very proud we rope dropped Trader Sam's and will brag about it always. From there it was goodbye to the resort until Half Marathon and 7 days in VGC!

Thanks for reading my first attempt, hope to continue in near future.

:PinkbouncSounds like you had a GREAT TIME!:cheer2: Hope that you enjoyed your first stay as members! We stayed at the GCH six years ago, right before the VGC opened in September. That was our first stay at DL. loved the GCH and we had a BLAST! How did you like the VGC? Were you pleased? SO CONVENIENT!
"Thinking" of a May trip to VGC next year if we can book at 7 months and airfaire isn't CRAZY! We'll see, loved our summer, '09 trip, but SO MUCH has changed and we're eager to experience it! HOPE that your next trip is the second of many years of great DVC trips!:welcome:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter