First Timer Questions!

hlm2007

Mouseketeer
We are planning our first trip to Universal Dec 31-Jan 5. We are huge Disney fans but decided to switch it up this year by going to Universal:) Our family of four is traveling with another family of 4 (4 adults, 4 children -all children under 13, in all) and the other family is active duty military. We are looking at booking RPR for the Express Pass but I don't love the price tag right now on those rooms (~$450/night). We also have looked at Cabana Bay and the new Surfside Inn as options but is it worth it to stay at RPR for the EP? We are hoping military discounts will be released eventually for the hotel rooms. Anyone have any experience with getting military rates at high season at RPR? How far out are those rates/discounts generally released? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know everything about Disney and absolutely nothing about Universal!
TIA

I found this over on Mousesavers (I hope I can post this here! Moderators, please delete if not ok.): "
Military Discounts
If you are active duty or retired military, you should always ask if there is a military discount (be sure to carry your ID with you and have it available at check-in). Often the military discounts are among the best offered by hotels. Most of the major hotel chains offer military rates, though you may have to call the hotel directly, since these rates don’t show up on most of the hotel websites. Thanks to John G for the tip.

This makes it seem like 1) you should call; and 2) maybe only the military family would get the discount? Not sure how that would work, sorry. Also, I think that the first couple of nights you stay will most likely be busy at the parks, but most schools go back on the 2nd of January, so the 2nd through the 5th should be less busy. Are you willing to resort hop? You could have some fun over at Cabana Bay for two nights, then hop over to one of the resorts where you would get the Express Pass. My guess is that they are less expensive starting on the 2nd. If you check in early, bell services will keep your bags for you, and you can still use the express passes as early as you want to.

MIL is the coding when searching for military discounts for the uo hotels on their booking site

Room rates always are high during Christmas time thru New Years

Prices do drop days after New Year
I stayed at rpr 3 years ago January 3 for a week
Crowds were lower by a few days around January 4 that year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter