First Timer going in October...

smithstation

Earning My Ears
We are trying to book our trip in October for my family of four. We've been told by everyone that it's worth it to stay at the resort because we'll get in earlier and be able to stay later, plus we won't have to get a rental car, etc.

Is this true? It's pretty pricey, but I agree that it sounds easier to just hop the rail back to the room (I have two SMALL kids) for naps and such than to go back out to the parking lot and find a car, etc.

Do we really need a hopper pass?

Is there anyplace for deals on Disney Resorts?

Any info or threads you can direct me to would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

well i have only gone once with my family a month ago...but this is the board to find out the answers to all of your questions since i have only been to disney once im sorry im not to much help..... but we stayed at animal kingdom lodge.... it was beautiful!!! and the bus rides were fast to get to the other parks.... we chose that resort because we are animal lovers.... vicki

We have always gone in October. It is a great time to go!! :thumbsup2

When you say hop the rail, I assume you are referring to the monorail. Please remember that only 3 resorts have access to the monorail. All others will need either bus or boat tranportation. However, yes it is still much easier to stay on site if you will be going back and forth.

I would never go without using the hopper. You are so much more flexible that way. Some will say it's no big deal, but to us it definately is.

As for discounts....They use to give great discounts for the fall but have not been doing that lately. Right now free dining seems to be the biggy, but that only runs through September. Keep watching for package deals though, I would bet on it that you will see something, even if a minor discount towards the end of summer. AAA will give cheaper room rates.

A don't miss for October is MNSSHP.

Just keep asking questions and you'll get answers. It helps to hear from others. Have a great time!! :mickeyjum

My suggestion to you is: keep reading and posting. The people are great on these boards- they are very helpful. Everyone here wants to see others have a great time at Disney. I have learned so much on these boards that I feel like a professional on the subject of Disney!!!! Buy one of those guidebooks on Disney- they are great. Also you can visit the mouseforless or allearsnet websites,they have great tools that only help enhance your disney experience.

I have to agree with Lustergirl. Just keep asking questions and these lovely people will be glad to help.

I would say yes to staying on Property. Also, how long did you say you were going for. If you 're only going three days, I would say no to a hopper, as you'll probably just want to do one park a day, but then you've never been there, so I'd say yes to a hopper so you have the flexibilty to go to another park when you're through with one (which, you wont' be, HA!)

Enjoy and keep asking questions! :banana:

HAVE FUN :woohoo:

Do we really need a hopper pass?
No if you only want to go to one park each day.

Is there anyplace for deals on Disney Resorts?
AAA has discounts. You can look into buying one AP and used the AP discounts.

Buy the way WELCOME TO THE DIS!!!

We'll be there a week, but think we should only try to do about 4 days at Disney. Blasphemy! I know!

but our kiddos are very young (they'll be 4 and 2) and we're meeting some other family there that wants us to take one day off from the kids and go with them to MGM or something. by the time we travel...4 days is plenty.

I know we'll do epcot at least one day, because our children won't enjoy it as much (but we will), and we want to see the fireworks there. we'll do the parade once in DW and I've gotten suggestions on rides..

I'm just wondering how worth the money the hoppers are? Do you really go back and forth between parks? Does that take awhile? Why couldn't you just do things in one park one day and then save the other stuff for another day? Not being sarcastic, I truly don't know. If it's easier, then I'm all for it.

If my hotel doesn't have rail access, is it hard to get bus/boat access? Anyone been to All Star Movies?
and what is MNSSHP??

I'm eager to learn, if my questions are answered elsewhere feel free to just point the thread out, I won't be offended. I'm reading as much as I can but it's hard to get through it all!

oh, and if I get a deal through AAA, a "room only" discount, can I still get a package so that my tickets are all included??

and if I get a room only deal, and buy my tickets through something else, am I still entitled to getting in the park early like the others who stay on site?

We have stayed at off site hotel, rented a house and DISNEY resort. We too have small children and they loved ASMovies. It was great for children and as cheap as a off site hotel. It was a great plus to use Disney transportation. Waiting for buses was not long waits. Either way - you'll have a great vacation.

when we went we had hopper tickets...... and we deffinatly used them..... we went to MK 3 times and epcot twice....... each time we always went back to the hotel for a rest and to change into warmer clothes before we went to see the fireworks.... so im my opinion the hopper tickets are great!!
vicki

Just because i like throwing my two cents in, this is what I have to say:

Definitely do a hopper pass. That gives you the freedom to go from park to park or from park-hotel-park as much as you want to on any given day without having to re-pay park admission, and especially if you have little kids who may need naps.... going from park-hotel-park, a hopper pass might not be a bad idea.

And i would suggest staying on Disney property. You will pay more, but the convienece of everything is SOOOOO nice. you will also have a Disney bus that can transport you to Animal Kingdom and MGM if you decide to go there. Plus the monorail is nice to hotel hop too. I like doing that with my family to see where we would like to stay next:)

Hope my advice helped! I'm only 19, but i've been to Disney World twice, been on 3 disney cruises (big red boat, wonder AND magic) and going back to disney world in October this year! And I'm also considering doing Disney's College Internship Program.

What can I say, I'm a Disney FANATIC!!!!

HAVE A FUN TIME ON YOUR VACATION!

epfootballcutie04 said:
Just because i like throwing my two cents in, this is what I have to say:

Definitely do a hopper pass. That gives you the freedom to go from park to park or from park-hotel-park as much as you want to on any given day without having to re-pay park admission, and especially if you have little kids who may need naps.... going from park-hotel-park, a hopper pass might not be a bad idea.

And i would suggest staying on Disney property. You will pay more, but the convienece of everything is SOOOOO nice. you will also have a Disney bus that can transport you to Animal Kingdom and MGM if you decide to go there. Plus the monorail is nice to hotel hop too. I like doing that with my family to see where we would like to stay next:)

Hope my advice helped! I'm only 19, but i've been to Disney World twice, been on 3 disney cruises (big red boat, wonder AND magic) and going back to disney world in October this year! And I'm also considering doing Disney's College Internship Program.

What can I say, I'm a Disney FANATIC!!!!

HAVE A FUN TIME ON YOUR VACATION!

I just want to say I agree with you, and just being 19, very worldly. Do the college program, our daughter did it in 2001, was there Sept 11 and it was her check in day and the whole park was closed. But after that she had the time of her life, made alot of friends, didn't make much money but the experience was tremendous. She was brought up as a Disney child and moving down, tough on us parents, and working for the mouse was always a dream. We went down 2 times during her stay, she got great discounts. Go, its a once in a lifetime dream. You'll never regret it.

Thanks for your reply!

I'm super excited that Disney has that internship program. I have a meeting with my college councler on Thursday to discuss the program and to see what they know about it.

I have been reading their website, and i've been talking non stop about it. (I think my parents are getting sick of the non-stop disney talk!!!--- but im just excited!)

I'm glad your daughter had a good time down there! I'm a 2nd year student at a community college, and just recently made up my mind that i want to work for mickey in pretty much any way possible. I had some rough semesters previously with school, and not taking it as seriously as i should have, and therefore, have had some issues with my GPA, etc... BUT... I'm turning everything around, in hopes to make my Mickey dreams come true!!!

Does any one else know anything about the Disney college program?

We are going in June for the first time. I booked with my travel agent and got a great deal. Looking at the disney site they had the 6 night 7 day for $1500. The flight I would have had to book extra. My travel agent got us 7 nights and 8 days with flight, park hopper, magic express from the airport, everything but dining for less than I could get myself. :goodvibes I do not have to do anything but bring money for dining and things we want to purchase. :banana: It was a load off my mind.
Others who have been may be able to tell you better ways but this worked for me.

sorry to repost the same question....but just in case it's buried..

If my hotel doesn't have rail access, is it hard to get bus/boat access? Anyone been to All Star Movies?
and what is MNSSHP??

Busses show up every 10-15 min to pick you up. I wouldn't think of renting a car. Like most theme parks, the parking lots are HUGE. As in, you have to take a tram to the gates. By the time you deal with all that, it's just as long as taking the bus.

MNSSHP = Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party.

While people here, including me, are more than willing to answer questions, you should do some reading before posting. Many of the basics will be answered. A good starting place is www.allearsnet.com

Also, try reading a lot of posts on the boards - lots of questions come up over and over again.

smithstation said:

and what is MNSSHP??

no i have not stayed at All star movies...... but the MNSSHP is mickeys not so scary halloween party..... vicki

smithstation said:

and what is MNSSHP??

If you are staying at the All Stars, there will only be bus transportation, no boat. When we stayed at the All Stars (years ago, maybe things have changed), we stayed at the Sports. All three resorts (sports, movie and music) share busing. Sports was the first pick up and usually buses were quiet full by the time they stopped there. Only a few more could fit on when we went to the other two resorts. Maybe someone who has stayed there more recently can update you on that situation.

MNSSHP is Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. It is a separate party held on select evenings in late September and all of October. It is a separate ticket price, not included in park tickets. It runs from 7:00 p.m. until midnight at the Magic Kingdom. There are special events....Characters are in cosutme, trick or treating for children and adults, special parades and fireworks, dance parties, free family photo, and no waiting for any of the rides. Only a small number of tickets are sold for each evening it is offered, hence, no lines for rides. Stay away from Halloween evening and weekends for smallest crowds.

Thanks guys! I appreciate all the time you've taken in answering these. I finally found the "cheat" thread for the DIS abbreviations. For a first timer, there's alot of new things to learn!

ENSOCK said:
We are going in June for the first time. I booked with my travel agent and got a great deal. Looking at the disney site they had the 6 night 7 day for $1500. The flight I would have had to book extra. My travel agent got us 7 nights and 8 days with flight, park hopper, magic express from the airport, everything but dining for less than I could get myself. :goodvibes I do not have to do anything but bring money for dining and things we want to purchase. :banana: It was a load off my mind.
Others who have been may be able to tell you better ways but this worked for me.

YOu might want to consider adding the disney dining plan, we did for our first trip in june and it seems like a good idea, to save you money and all but thats just my thought, from someone who has never gone....well i hear good things about it from other DISers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter