First timer - 2 questions

Onceuponadream2

Earning My Ears
Disney expert here; first time coming to Universal though. I’ve been reading the boards and learning a lot, so thanks!!! Two questions-

1. What kind of crowd can I expect in January, week after Martin Luther King day? (1/18-1/21) I am leaning towards staying at the top-tier resorts in order to get the express passes, but I’m wondering if EPs will really even be necessary that week. It appears that we could get a bit more space for less money in a Dockside suite.

2. If there were season pass hotel discounts available for my January dates, would I already be able to see them? When I search, it says that the rate is unavailable for those dates, but I’m wondering if it’s just because I’m looking 4 months out..? If so, when are these rates typically posted? And what kind of savings could I expect? I would only consider getting the cheapest season pass solely for a hotel discount.

Thank you!!!

For a first Visit, if the extra cost isn’t too much of a stretch, I would choose Hard Rock or RPR. Taking the boat and/or the short walk really make for a great first visit. The express passes are a bonus too. It may not be that crowded but the park hours will be short. Having express makes it easy to see the shows and still get in all the re-rides for your favorites.

We are planning a January trip too, and are going to try out Dockside for the first time. We’ll be staying 5-7 days and have taken a dozen trips to Universal and tried almost every hotel on property. Our daughter is an older teen now and we’ve found we appreciate the extra room in the family suites just as much as we used to value the “walking” distance Hotels when we had a toddler.

In January, no we don’t think we will need express. But for a first visit of 3 days or less, it really is nice to have. Especially if anyone in your group is a big Harry Potter fan and wants extra time there.

I agree with above poster, for your first stay I’d stay at one of the 3 deluxe resorts. If your looking at more space Portofino has largest room, followed by Hard Rock and then Royal Pacific.
And you’ll be staying onsite. Dockside is a Universal Resort but not onsite. You would have to take a bus to City Walk and come thru that way.
The 3 deluxe have their own security either when you get on the boat or go thru walking path to City Walk where you have your own entrance close to the parks.
I think it’s a nicer experience for your first visit. And express pass!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter