First time with autistic son, looking for feedback!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MamaJ09718

Earning My Ears
Hello! We’re longtime Disney vacation veterans but due to back to back pregnancies and the pandemic we’ve been unable to visit with our littles until now. My oldest is currently 2 and we were hoping to celebrate his 3rd birthday in WDW. However, he’s likely autistic with sensory processing disorder and he’s non verbal. (We’re on a wait list to have him formally evaluated.) just looking for help with the following potential scenarios:
-He can keep a mask on for about 10-15 minutes at a time before he needs a break. Based on recommendations from fellow autistic moms, I am going to apply for DAS and get his stroller tagged as a wheelchair, I know some of the queues will be sensory overload for him and he will need his space. Just curious if he’s covered up in the stroller if he would still need to mask up. I know the DAS won’t guarantee no wait so if we were stuck waiting for 10-15 minutes, he’s going to be maxed out on his mask time and will struggle to keep it on for the ride. Same for transportation though, we’re hoping to stay on the monorail loop so if he’s covered in the stroller would he need to mask up on the monorail? (Mainly asking because he always falls asleep in the stroller, I’m really hoping I don’t have to try and get his mask on while hes sleeping!) Just to clarify, the stroller cover we have is dark with a clear window panel (britax b-free) so it’s hard to see in unless he has something that lights up with him like his tablet. I’m not trying to find a loopholes for the mask policy or anything, just trying to plan our days accordingly. If he can’t do his masks for lines/rides, we can just skip it. If he always needs his mask for the monorail we can wait out his nap at the parks or we can just drive ourselves to the parks. Whatever we can do to make it work for him. I know these are oddly specific scenarios and likely depending on each cast member but just curious if anyone has any prior experience.

Also, how will masks work at restaurants? My son grazes and it takes forever to get through a meal, he stops to play or needs movement breaks. Will he need to constantly take his mask on and off? He might just need to dance or stack some blocks in between bites. Just trying to better understand the rules so I can plan our meals accordingly.

-for fireworks… I know he won’t wear any noise cancelling headphones, anything on the ears is a trigger. (We start practicing wearing winter hats in July!) He’s selectively sensitive to sounds, some things bother him and others don’t. We’ve never watched fireworks up close before. I planned on watching MK fireworks from poly just to see what he does but is there a quieter place to catch Epcot fireworks?

-rides: are there any rides that could be overly stimulating or are over 10 minutes? I was going to avoid anything with scents, like journey into imagination. (The original was better anyways!) I was also going to skip spaceship earth because it will be too long for him to wear a mask.

-not related to special needs… he’s a big 2 year old (currently wears 5T, looks like he’s pushing 4 at least) will we need to show proof of his age or anything at check in? He will turn 3 while we’re there but will be 2 when we check in. (I also fully intend to take advantage of those room decorating services for his birthday! Anything else I can do to make it special?)

We understand our son processes things differently and we’re learning his triggers as we go. We’re pretty good at picking up on his cues when he’s struggling and catching him before he melts down. We won’t force him through anything he can’t handle. I know it won’t be a perfect vacation but we’re hoping this a positive experience for him and he has fun. If you have any additional feedback or suggestions please share! I know this is a long post so if you’ve made it this far, thank you for taking the time to read and potentially comment :)

Also, how will masks work at restaurants? My son grazes and it takes forever to get through a meal, he stops to play or needs movement breaks. Will he need to constantly take his mask on and off? He might just need to dance or stack some blocks in between bites. Just trying to better understand the rules so I can plan our meals accordingly.
In most TS situations, this won't be a big deal. If it were a buffet and they were going in line, they'd need to put it on (but otherwise, I think you'll be okay).

-rides: are there any rides that could be overly stimulating or are over 10 minutes? I was going to avoid anything with scents, like journey into imagination. (The original was better anyways!) I was also going to skip spaceship earth because it will be too long for him to wear a mask.
I found ToT to be really too loud and don't expect to take my kid on it; Dinosaur as well (but that might've already been on your radar). I don't know exactly but I believe Tiki Room is longer than 10 min (and other things like Hall of Presidents - but I'm not sure those are things you all would do - just trying to think of things that are indoors+long).

In most TS situations, this won't be a big deal. If it were a buffet and they were going in line, they'd need to put it on (but otherwise, I think you'll be okay).

I found ToT to be really too loud and don't expect to take my kid on it; Dinosaur as well (but that might've already been on your radar). I don't know exactly but I believe Tiki Room is longer than 10 min (and other things like Hall of Presidents - but I'm not sure those are things you all would do - just trying to think of things that are indoors+long).

Good call with the shows, I didn’t even think of that! He’s a little guy so we won’t do any big rides this trip but maybe in the future if this trip goes well. I know there’s going to be a lot of trial and error with him especially on rides, anything with a recognizable character (frozen, Winnie the Pooh etc.) will be easy but something like it’s a small world will be tougher. I wasn’t planning any buffets at the moment, maybe Ohana breakfast or something if it’s available, but none where we would walk up for food. I feel like buffets are louder than regular table service though so might avoid all together.

Good call with the shows, I didn’t even think of that! He’s a little guy so we won’t do any big rides this trip but maybe in the future if this trip goes well. I know there’s going to be a lot of trial and error with him especially on rides, anything with a recognizable character (frozen, Winnie the Pooh etc.) will be easy but something like it’s a small world will be tougher. I wasn’t planning any buffets at the moment, maybe Ohana breakfast or something if it’s available, but none where we would walk up for food. I feel like buffets are louder than regular table service though so might avoid all together.
Sounds like you got a good start in thinking it all through! Others may weigh in, but I wonder if Frozen Ever After might be a concern, too. I felt it was sort of loud (as I read what you wrote, boat rides seem longer to me than some of the other dark rides like Pooh). I could be wrong about that, though. I know so much is trial and error but it might be worth it for you (and maybe them?) to watch videos before. I was lucky enough to have a fluke trip where I went a month or two ago and it gave me the chance to think through how I and my kiddos might navigate things (our challenge is more about mobility but there's some definite sensory overload stuff, too).

Sounds like you got a good start in thinking it all through! Others may weigh in, but I wonder if Frozen Ever After might be a concern, too. I felt it was sort of loud (as I read what you wrote, boat rides seem longer to me than some of the other dark rides like Pooh). I could be wrong about that, though. I know so much is trial and error but it might be worth it for you (and maybe them?) to watch videos before. I was lucky enough to have a fluke trip where I went a month or two ago and it gave me the chance to think through how I and my kiddos might navigate things (our challenge is more about mobility but there's some definite sensory overload stuff, too).

i feel like boats take longer to load/unload, continuous rides like the seas with Nemo or little mermaid are nice because there’s not as much stop and go. We do watch a lot of Disney park videos though (Disney today from the resorts, park walkthroughs etc.) not as fun as cartoons for kids so they’re not little tv zombies and I get to enjoy the background music while I’m scrubbing dishes or folding laundry. We do occasionally watch rides, my autistic son really likes roller coasters. He’s so tall for his age he might actually be tall enough for barnstormer but idk if he’s ready for that yet. Both my kids loooooove the Main Street electrical parade though so we might try to catch the water pageant if that’s still a thing.

It’s just hard with to predict with him because he’s so young and with covid we haven’t had a chance to experience much of the outside world, it’s hard to know his triggers until we encounter them. For example, we went to Petco and he was just amazed with the fish tanks. He parked himself in front of the big tank of goldfish and wouldn’t move. Tried taking him to the zoo to see the dolphins. Kinda like bigger fish right? Dolphin show could be fun, they jump and splash? Wrong! He was so so so scared of them whenever they swam past. He cried and we had to leave :(

The 3rd birthday is a challenge since he is now a paying gst. He will most likely be wearing a bday button and he looks older due to his size. CM will be looking for a ticket for him and you will be charged at restaurants so you will need to explain he just turned three.

The 3rd birthday is a challenge since he is now a paying gst. He will most likely be wearing a bday button and he looks older due to his size. CM will be looking for a ticket for him and you will be charged at restaurants so you will need to explain he just turned three.

if we check in before he turns 3, we don’t have to pay for a park ticket. At least that’s how it used to be, maybe the policy changed though. We haven’t been to Disney in 3yrs ourselves and it’s been even longer since we went with kids this little. I know we have to register him at the resort, like he has to be included on the hotel room headcount. For restaurants, totally understand and we fully plan on getting him his own meal anyways. He’s a pretty healthy eater and would definitely eat most/all of his own meal.

if we check in before he turns 3, we don’t have to pay for a park ticket.
This is still true. You do not age while at WDW. If questioned, just explain his age and you arrived prior to his birthday (if you trip extends past his birthday). For meals, he is welcome to eat off your plate. If you order a separate item for him, you will be charged.

As for masks -- technically WDW requires a mask of anyone age 2+ and there are no exceptions (for disabilities or other reasons). This is the current rule:

More detail available by clicking on the above. What the rule is or may be at the time of your trip is anyone's guess right now.

I am going to close this thread to avoid discussion about masks as per DISboard policy. If you have other questions about planning your trip, feel free to start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter