First time WDW trip - which resort (help!)

Dean1972

Mouseketeer
We are planning our first visit to WDW 9th December 2013 for 6 nights ( & 4 nights after @ Unversal )
We are a couple (40) & no kids. We are looking to stay at a deluxe resort & also considering renting DVC points.
Contemplating the following resorts : BLT, BCV, WLV, OKW or Poly.
even considering a spilt stay (ie 3 days at 2 resorts)
We are not too fussed on transportation times to parks, but want access to a variety of good restaurants / entertainment options in the evening.

We are planning our first visit to WDW 9th December 2013 for 6 nights ( & 4 nights after @ Unversal )
We are a couple (40) & no kids. We are looking to stay at a deluxe resort & also considering renting DVC points.
Contemplating the following resorts : BLT, BCV, WLV, OKW or Poly.
even considering a spilt stay (ie 3 days at 2 resorts)
We are not too fussed on transportation times to parks, but want access to a variety of good restaurants / entertainment options in the evening.

BCV can't be beat for access to good restaurants and entertainment options. There are several good restaurants in the resort area. And you have all of Epcot's World Showcase for great choices.

The Boardwalk area has the ESPN Club, Jellyrolls comedy club and Atlantic Dance Club. There are things to do on the Boardwalk, too.

We love the Epcot resorts for the great evening entertainment.

I love BLT but I think it has a lot to do with its proximity to MK. If I didn't have kids I would probably enjoy BCV the most.

For a first time visit, I never recommend a villa...I just dont think you get the total immersion/Disney feel. Youd love the POLY as two adults, lovely grounds, good restaurants (2) on premise, and the monorail to MK or other resorts for restaurants (over at Contemp, GF, etc) in addition to over to Epcot and the world (literally) is yours. The CL if you can swing it is qonderful as well. Its a very romantic resort..Wherever you choose, have a Wonderful time and Happy Eating as well..

I know this wasn't on your "list," but may I suggest the Yacht Club? DH and I do not currently have kids (may change in the future!), and we stayed there a couple of years ago. We loved being able to walk to Epcot and to the Boardwalk area. The Studios was just a short boat ride away. This puts you in proximity of all kinds of shopping, dining, and entertainment! We also found it to be a relatively quiet resort (at least the interior). The decor is upscale but not stuffy, if that makes any sense. We really enjoyed our time there and I think it's a great resort for childless families or families with older children. Not to say that families with young children wouldn't enjoy themselves, but I think the brighter Beach Club is better suited to families. Just my opinion. :)

No question about it- Boardwalk villas. We stay there 2 weeks out of every year and it has it all- Night life, good food, great ambiance, and you can walk to Epcot ( you even get to use the way less crowded back gate), and Hollywood studios. The villas at Boardwalk are also a little bigger than Beach Club's.

For a first time visit, I would not suggest "renting points" from a DVC member. You have so much to learn just about going to WDW, that learning all that you need to know about "renting points" could be overload. I'd just book a room at your most probable resort. We stayed on our first trip at the Polynesian and enjoyed it. Close the to MK, close to the monorail and easy to drive to the other theme parks.

Thanks to all for your info / advice
Would renting points (eg through David's DVC rentals) take out some of the complexity in renting ( & save $$$ also) ?
It just seems $$ renting DVC points is comparable to the moderates in price.

Would renting points (eg through David's DVC rentals) take out some of the complexity in renting ( & save $$$ also) ?

No matter how you rent points, the owner of those points controls your reservation and has to book your dining, etc. Also, with renting points, you will have to pay upfront, booking directly through Disney doesn't require that.

As adults only, I'd stay at Boardwalk Inn or Boardwalk villas either way. The Epcot resort area is my favorite location at WDW and the Boardwalk is the best of the group in my opinion.

If you purchase a reservation from a DVC member, you will never control the reservation. If you need to cancel or change dates, it might not be possible and you would not get a refund of anything you have already paid. Because DVC is a timeshare, points have expirations and what you see available on the Disney website as able to be booked cannot be booked with points. You can't look to see what can be booked. Only a member can.

You get limited housekeeping services. If you stay seven nights or less, you will get your trash removed and towels replaced on day four. If you stay eight nights or more, you will get a full cleaning on day four and trash and towel service on day eight. If you like freshly made beds, clean towels daily, DVC is not for you. Because it is a timeshare, the member (or anyone staying on the member's points) will be charged for extra towels, extra shampoo, extra cleaning, etc.

No matter how you rent points, the owner of those points controls your reservation and has to book your dining, etc. Also, with renting points, you will have to pay upfront, booking directly through Disney doesn't require that.

As adults only, I'd stay at Boardwalk Inn or Boardwalk villas either way. The Epcot resort area is my favorite location at WDW and the Boardwalk is the best of the group in my opinion.

They only have to request the dinning plan for you. They do not make your dinner reservations for you. You do that yourself. Renting points is fairly easy and if you know someone who has them it can be fairly painless. Of those you listed They will all have a queen bed and a sleeper sofa in a studio except OKW. OKW has 2 queens and is also the largest room with a large balcony. You may find it has fewer kids there and other than SSR is the closes to DTD and all its shops and resteraunts. It is also my favorit of the DVC resorts. Also the fewest amount of points. If you ask around where you or your spouse works you might find that there is likely to be someone who owns. BCV are very nice but the pool area can get very loud. Hope this helps.

I would go with a resort in the Boardwalk area. You have plenty of options for things to do at night right there (including some nice restaurants and bars at the Swan and Dolphin that a lot of people overlook) and we love walking into EPCOT in the evening for dinner, a last ride on Spaceship Earth, and Illuminations.

The Boardwalk Inn is beautiful, but pretty big. The Beach Club is a bit more compact and the pool is not to be believed, but if you aren't big on swimming or spending time in a hot tub, that might not be your primary concern. The Yacht Club is beautiful, also and has a more relaxed vibe.

The Beach Club is, hands down, my favorite resort on property and we've always had amazing service there.

Of your choices, I would pick between BLT and Beach Club, or do a split of the two. I wouldn't recommend WLV for you at all, and although I love Poly, I think for a first trip adults only BLT and Beach Club give you easy access to parks and restaurants as well as pleasant surroundings.

If you want access to food and entertainment, then I think the best options are BWV and BCV for their proximity to the boardwalk and Swan/Dolphin. Also easy walking to Epcot and DHS. Next would be OKW/SSR which is an easy walk/boat ride to the Downtown area.

Enjoy! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter