• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time visitor

neilbrassfrog

Earning My Ears
A coworker is going to WDW next fall. It's her first time, and will be her, her husband, 6 year old girl and 4 year old boy. I said Poly was best bet because of MK access and the pool.

Where do you send your first timer friends to?

A coworker is going to WDW next fall. It's her first time, and will be her, her husband, 6 year old girl and 4 year old boy. I said Poly was best bet because of MK access and the pool.

That's where we finally decided on for our first trip. But the CR is also very nice and you can walk to the MK.

All depends on their budget. But if they're good with Deluxe prices, Poly is an excellent choice.

It would depend on their budget, but any of the MK resorts would be good for kids that age, who will prob be more interested in MK. If they are going when Christmas decorations will be up, GF or WL have the best decorations, IMO.

Personally, I have seen a few people first hand who plan the trip of a "lifetime" on their first trip and go deluxe and spend tons of money.

Invariably, something minor has gone wrong and they say, for the money, they will never be back.

Personally, on a first trip, I would suggest Pop as a value, or POR as a moderate with the ages of their children.

They won't spend a ton of money, they will have a good time knowing they booked what they can afford and invariably, they will always plan to come back - which has happened to me every time I introduce Disney to a friend.

Personally, I have seen a few people first hand who plan the trip of a "lifetime" on their first trip and go deluxe and spend tons of money.

Invariably, something minor has gone wrong and they say, for the money, they will never be back.

Personally, on a first trip, I would suggest Pop as a value, or POR as a moderate with the ages of their children.

They won't spend a ton of money, they will have a good time knowing they booked what they can afford and invariably, they will always plan to come back - which has happened to me every time I introduce Disney to a friend.

I totally agree with this. When we took our children for their first time (they were 3 and 5), I looked at all of the deluxes...and their price tags, and we ultimately ended up choosing POP (we were value resort veterans)...we had an amazing time!!!!

We didn't want to she'll out the money on deluxes not knowing how the trip would go...not knowing if the kids would even like traveling or *gasp* Disney...

Now we are on a deluxe kick...but, the kiddos are going on there fourth trip (now 6 and 8) and we like to enjoy the resort amenities a lot more now. They (and we) don't have that need to be in the parks from open to close anymore, because we know well be back soon.

But, for a first trip, I say value all the way!!! :thumbsup2

I agree that the Poly is an excellent choice if they decide to go with a deluxe resort. If they decide against a deluxe, I would suggest a moderate. Our first onsite stay was at CBR and we had a fabulous time. We loved the resort, the pool, the location, and the transportation was some of the best we've had at any of the resorts we've stayed at. In my opinion, the mods aren't that much more expensive than the values for the extra little perks you get, such as a larger room, double vanity sinks, and a pool slide. With all of that said, if they want a deluxe but don't want to pay the higher cost for the monorail, the WL would be a great choice as well. It's convenient to MK as well as to the monorail resorts for dining and shopping, but doesn't come with the hefty price tag like that of the Poly, CR, and GF.

I always suggest a resort in each price category and make sure to tell them that they will have fun no matter where they stay - so they know that you don't have to shell out $500 per night to have a good time.

I usually suggest the Wilderness Lodge & the Y & B Club for deluxes. The Poly is just so expensive and isn't always as impressive with new Disney people as with old Disney people...I have had first timers tell me it was "dark and 70s looking" and they couldn't believe it was more expensive than the AKL because that seemed so much nicer when they had dinner there...

For moderates I suggest French Quarter because it is smaller and less confusing than Riverside, and for a value option I suggest Pop.

They have budget for deluxe but are not sure they want to spend that much money.

WL is still in the MK area, very nice, and a lot cheaper then Poly. The boat to MK is a fun way to get there, and they also have a resort boat to CR for monorail access to the other monorail resorts for dinners. Another option is the CR garden wing. More then WL, but still cheaper then Poly.

I agree a moderate would also be a good alternative, POR is our fav mod. I'm not a value fan myself, and agree that for a little extra for a mod, it's very worth it.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2
About 7 years ago when we were planning our 1st trip as a new family with our 10 month old DD we asked for suggestions and pretty much it was POLY because location and the monorail. We had a great trip but at those rates(even with the discount) we just thought it was over priced. We have had wonderful trips at each level, I will say now that our DD's are getting older and bigger, as well as me:rotfl2: that it is hard to go down to the full size beds. Like PP's, I would just give them a couple of resorts at each level and have them look at them and decide.

With a 4 and 6 year old, I would recommend Art of Animation family suite. The theming is so perfect for those ages! I recommend the suite over the LM rooms. Because if they can afford deluxe, the suite will save them a little money over the deluxe resort but they'll get two rooms and two bathrooms. Plus all the AoA suites are very convenient to food and buses -- unlike the less expensive rooms at a Deluxe, which are always a hike.

Otherwise I'd say the Contemporary. The monorail is unreliable. When it's down, it's easy to walk from the Contemporary to MK. Last January, we paid for my kids and grandkids to be at the Contemporary and the monorail was down. I just got back from GF and the monorail was down.

I was also surprised at how much I enjoyed the GF -- I'm a WL and AKL kinda gal;) I was only at GF because my DIL really wanted to stay there. But I'd consider it again after the quick service restaurant and courtyard pool re-open. GF has the boat which is hands-down the best way to get back from the MK -- I think it took maybe 10 minutes from Main Street to my room:) GF added bus service when the monorail was down and I love their ETA board in the bus waiting area. GF is light bright and airy and, surprisingly, laid back and friendly. (I agree with a PP that I find the Poly to be very dark). GF also has a great new splash area for kids.

I love helping my friends and my friends' friends plan their trips. I think it depends on their budget and what their expectations / goals are. I first took DD when she was just shy of 3. We stayed at POP and she loved it. Until our family grew and we bought DVC, we had always stayed POP or MOD except for her 7th bday I splurged for AKL. The location never bothered us, I'd rather had spent money on other things than the resort.

So it just really depends what they want out of it. If they want the cool pool, location to MK etc. Poly is a great pick if they can afford it. WL is also a great MK idea. It's a boat ride and the atmosphere is really neat!

Another thing to consider is sleeping. If mom and dad are used to sleeping in a queen or king sized bed at home, they don't want to have a double sized bed like at the values. Plus the monorail resorts are right next to the MK. I know that was key for us on our first trip.

Where do you send your first timer friends to?[/QUOTE]

Our first trip we chose the Poly. We had preschool aged children. The deciding factor for us knowing nothing about WDW was location, amenties and theme. Although we were thrilled to take our first family vacation to WDW, we wanted to be as comfortable as possible away from home with three little ones. It was a great choice. The room was large. We slept comfortably in the queen beds and day bed. The children loved the pool and beach. It was right on the monorail next to the MK. The resort had great TS and CS. I always suggest staying in budget. But, I always hope that the Poly is part of their budget--it is truly magical.:goodvibes

It depends on their budget and priorities.

If they can afford it, I would definitely send them to the Poly.

If they need a moderate, I would send them to POFQ because it's small and not as overwhelming.

If they need a value, I would send them to Pop or AoA.

If they don't need the DDP or ME, I would send them to the Swan or Dolphin for the location.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter