First Time Visit: Breakfast at Kona or Chef Mickey's??

ChrisHartman

Mouseketeer
We have one day where we're unclear about Breakfast...its our Day 2 of the MK visit. DS will be celebrating his 4th birthday while we're visiting...

I've heard Chef Mickey's is a "must do" for first timers, especially kids, but I've also heard that the food isnt' that great and its much better at Kona. We're staying at the Swan and want to be at the MK for rope drop that day so we were planning to take a taxi to our breakfast destination and then take the monorail to the MK after breakfast.

Our MK day 1 we are having breakfast at the Crystal Palace and our MK day 2we are having dinner at CRT...so we have some character breakfasts (yes, DS wanted to see the princesses) scheduled.

So...what would you recommend? We have no breakfasts or meals planned with Mickey, but I also don't want to overpay for a bad meal if it isn't worth it. I tried getting dinner reservations at Chef Mickey's on another night with no luck (but can get breakfast on our MK day 2 @ 7:25am) and the only reason we'd go out of our way to Kona was for breakfast (Tonga Toast)...so its this day or nothing for Chef Mickey's and Kona.

What would you do????

We really enjoyed the food at Chef Mickey's breakfast. We (adults) felt the character interaction left a lot to be desired, as we were stuck in a corner away from the main dining area. My kids LOVED Chef Mickey, and want to go back next trip, so the characters were great for them. :confused3

Neither!
I would bring him to "Ohanas Best Friends Breakfast" at the POLY
The Characters are: Lilo, Stitch, Mickey and Pluto--all wearing
hawaiian clothing. This is a wonderful breakfast, great atmosphere(not loud like CM)
and good food. The Characters are not rushed and are a lot of fun.
There is a Kids Parade around the restaurant with the Characters.
Kids can get little instruments to play like: moroccas (sp?)
It's a lot of fun. Plus the breakfast is served Family Style so you don't have to get up, they bring food to you---and it's all you care to eat.
Great Juice too!!

We've not eaten at Chef Mickey's so I cannot compare but we did have breakfast at O'hana during our last trip and it was great. As the pp said, it was not rushed and the food was great.

I cannot remember what time the boat launch begins in the morning but we loved taking that to MK rather than the monorail but you might be too early for that.

I may be an exception but we didn't like Ohana for breakfast. It was by far, our worst character meal during our stay.

We stayed at the Poly and ate almost daily at Kona. I loved Kona but there were no characters. The food was great.

For a child, I'd absolutely go for the character meal at Chef Mickey's. Who goes to those for the food anyway? :confused3 It's all about the characters!

Between Kona and Chef Mickey's for a first visit and b-day trip for a child - it should be Chef Mickey's without question (even if the food is subpar). It's the thing you do for your kids.

However, I do like the suggestion of O'hana instead. You'll get Mickey and Pluto (I think), as well as Lilo and Stitch. The food will probably be better, and the experience will be better/less hectic since the food is brought to you instead of going to the buffet.

Wow...if it wasn't for his birthday, I'd say Kona hands down. Chef Mickey's was a big fav of my nephews when they were young. The food was pretty bland but for his b-day...well, ya gotta do it. :)

However...we had an AMAZING breakfast at Kona. We tried a couple of different things and shared. The Tonga Toast is YUM, but the biggest surprise for me were the scrambled eggs. Scrambled eggs are pretty much the same restaurant to restaurant, right? Wrong! I don't know know what they did to them, but we all agreed they were the best scrambled eggs we'd ever had!:rotfl:

Next time: Macademia Nut pancakes. :)

To me, WDW has 2 things everyone should try to do, at least once. That's eat at Chef Mickey's & CRT. That said, you're lucky dinner is booked. ;) Breakfast is the way to go at CM. It's harder to mess up breakfast foods.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter