First time skiing help!

tinks86

Mouseketeer
Hi - I'm after some help / advice from anyone who has been skiing / snowboarding! We are off in 2 weeks for the first time, got lessons booked but after any packing tips etc that you found useful, haven't got a clue where to start with some of it, and wondering what bits I need to buy!

We are off to Austria if anyone has been there and can offer any help :cool1:

Hi We haven't been for a few year but I guess the same rules apply, wear lots of layers so you can take something off if you get to hot. Sun block as the sun is very strong at altitude. Good sun glasses as well.

Have a great time.

Lots of thick ski socks, sun block, either ski goggles or proper sunglasses, layers such as t.shirts, long shirts etc, plasters, maybe some pain relief gel for the aches and pains, maybe a small purse to keep loose change and valuables.

I love skiing and learnt within a few days of our trip, snowboarding is another matter!!! I think just pace yourself, drink lots of fluids and eat lots of carbohydrates.

Lots of thick ski socks, sun block, either ski goggles or proper sunglasses, layers such as t.shirts, long shirts etc, plasters, maybe some pain relief gel for the aches and pains, maybe a small purse to keep loose change and valuables.

I love skiing and learnt within a few days of our trip, snowboarding is another matter!!! I think just pace yourself, drink lots of fluids and eat lots of carbohydrates.

Lol! Getting bit worried about snowboarding now - may spend alot of time on my bum :rotfl2: think pain gel may be a good idea :lmao:

To be fair it is such a laugh, nothing to worry about!!! They don't drop you off a big mountain or anything:rotfl: I'd go again at the drop of a hat.

Never been skiing, it is something I have always wanted to do but most of friends know how to & I don't fancy ski school on my own.

However a group of us are hoping to go end of the year & a couple will go to ski school with me as a refresher.

I would definately book a massage after if you can afford it. It is the best thing for aching muscles.

We were at Grindelwald last month, my top,top tip would be quit while you can still feel your legs, Last year I kept going and going and thats when I fell every time!! Also Switzerland was very expensive, I lost my sun glasses and could have kicked myself for not taking a spare pair, costafortune to buy a pair in Switzerland.

I was always too hot on the slopes, it was sunny and I was yucky with sweat!

Yeah I've just emailed the hotel to ask for a price list for their spa :lmao: thought that would be a good idea!!!

I know the euro isn't great at the moment as well but luckily we are HB so food is paid for :thumbsup2

We have got snowboard school booked - will let you know how it goes :goodvibes

You will be so tired by late afternoon you will probably want to stay in. Might be worth taking some games etc.

Yeah I've just emailed the hotel to ask for a price list for their spa :lmao: thought that would be a good idea!!!

I know the euro isn't great at the moment as well but luckily we are HB so food is paid for :thumbsup2

We have got snowboard school booked - will let you know how it goes :goodvibes

It will be interesting to see how much they charge. I looked at working as a masseur in a ski resort, the money is poor but you get accomodation & a ski pass included. Until I learn to ski its not much use:rolleyes:

I'm beginning to wonder how expensive Austria will be as well - we went to Norway last year and that was reall expensive, but with the euro so bad things could work out a lot! I'm wondering how much a massage will be as well :cloud9:

lip salve, a neck warmer/snood thingy, really good ski socks, support bandage in case of knee strain and sunglasses would be my tips

Hiya

ooohhh lucky you.. we're not going this year, am really regretting it now!

As others have said - layers are they key.
A good thermal base layer with wicking properties - that means the material takes the moisture away from your body - stops you getting a chill when your sweat cools, a long or short sleeve t-shirt - depending on the temperature/how well you are coping with the cold, a sweatshirt and a decent waterproof/windproof/warm coat.
Your usual coat will NOT do - you should invest in a good coat. You will be miserable if you get cold.
If it is really cold i wear a pair of silk gloves under my skigoves. You will need these as wooly gloves will not stop the wind getting to your hands.

You can buy all you need at TK MAXX - you do not need to spend a forture. We are on our 6th trip and still using stuff from our first, if you like your week you can always change/upgrade your stuff as you go along.

If you are into snowboarding you can buy padded goalkeepr type shorts to prevent too many bruises!!!

My top tip would be to get in the jacuzzi on your return after your days skiing.. it really eases those tired legs!
Dont overdo the evening entertainment... it might spoil your daytime, and after all that is what you've gone to do.

Have a fab time.. i'm sure it wont be your last!!:banana:

KAtie

Thanks Katie - had a bit of a spree in TKMAXX last week - got pink ski trousers and coat :banana: so cute!!! Bit concerned about being covered in bruises lol - think I'll take thick tights to wear with my skirt and Uggs :lmao:

We are off to a ski resort next week as well its a small resort called Blizzard Beach :rotfl2:

Sun glasses or goggles are really important when skiing for two reasons, 1. they can help you see where you are going and 2. they protect you from the sun and the snow. When we first went skiing I kept on taking my goggles off and suffered from something called snow blindness, I ended up in bed for two days as I couldn't open my eyes......

Layers are a good call as well, one minute you could be in just a T shirt and the next you could have several layers on and still be cold.

Anyway enjoy your holiday and let us all know how you get on.

Thanks guys - your all skiing as well as disney experts :rotfl: still waiting to hear about the spa price list :rolleyes1 hopefully won't be too long! Its not as easy to plan as a disney holiday - I can't seem to find much info out about different places etc :worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter