First time setting up a waitlist

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We are currently booked for 11/27-12/1 at AKV -- I am just throwing out the idea that we might try to get a BW standard studio - probably a far shot, but what do i have to lose.

Anyways- I have never done a waitlist. Is there anything in the process that i should be aware of -- any possible mistakes that could create a problem?

I am guessing people can make a waitlist with no other reservation involved but this waitlist would replace our AK reservation and we have no points left to use. I am guessing that there is a point in creating the waitlist that would identify that it would replace a reservation -- is that correct?

Last edited:
We are currently booked for 11/27-12/1 at AKV -- I am just throwing out the ides that we might try to get a BW standard studio - probably a far shot, but what do i have to lose.

Anyways- I have never done a waitlist. Is there anything in the process that i should be aware of -- any possible mistakes that could create a problem?

I am guessing people can make a waitlist with no other reservation involved but this waitlist would replace our AK reservation and we have no points left to use. I am guessing that there is a point in creating the waitlist that would identify that it would replace a reservation -- is that correct?
Yes., correct. Just go ahead and give it a try. Process is actually pretty easy. If you find you've made a mistake or want to change something, just cancel it and do it over. Good luck - you're right about it being a long shot, but then again, if you don't waitlist, it definitely won't happen. Good luck!

Congrats OP on your wait list coming through :goodvibes. I too am a newbie when it comes to wait listing, I have only ever stalked MS to see if I can get what we want. We are staying at BLT in a Lake View studio for 2 nights in December. I am really wanting to get a MK view studio for the same dates (going 12/28-12/30 and I too know this will be a long shot). However, in order to get the MK view I would have to buy 2 anytime points to make it work, could I still wait list or do I have to make sure that I have enough points to cover it?

I would have to buy 2 anytime points to make it work, could I still wait list or do I have to make sure that I have enough points to cover it?
I am guessing that you would have to call and if there was room availability then a CM could do the transaction for the 2 points.

I was wondering that as well because i only (original poster here) picked a BW standard because that is all the points i have to work with. I would have loved to open up other options but that would mean needing to buy 10 extra points.

You might want to post that as your own thread because you will likely get better/more answers. (and i am curios as well).

Congrats OP on your wait list coming through :goodvibes. I too am a newbie when it comes to wait listing, I have only ever stalked MS to see if I can get what we want. We are staying at BLT in a Lake View studio for 2 nights in December. I am really wanting to get a MK view studio for the same dates (going 12/28-12/30 and I too know this will be a long shot). However, in order to get the MK view I would have to buy 2 anytime points to make it work, could I still wait list or do I have to make sure that I have enough points to cover it?
You would need to have enough points to cover your wait list if it should come thru. You can authorize MS to borrow those 2 points if you have them in your subsequent UY. OTUPs (One Time Use Points) cannot be purchased during the 11-to-7 month window to complete a home resort reservation. They can only be purchased inside the 7-month window. In addition, they cannot be used to complete a wait list. OTUPs are not bankable and expire at the end of the UY in which they were purchased for use. It might be possible to purchase OTUPs at 7 months as a part of an actual reservation, and then cancel the reservation, freeing up those points to be used to complete a wait list. It's not something that I have attempted so someone with more experience would have to weigh in on that one.

You would need to have enough points to cover your wait list if it should come thru. You can authorize MS to borrow those 2 points if you have them in your subsequent UY. OTUPs (One Time Use Points) cannot be purchased during the 11-to-7 month window to complete a home resort reservation. They can only be purchased inside the 7-month window. In addition, they cannot be used to complete a wait list. OTUPs are not bankable and expire at the end of the UY in which they were purchased for use. It might be possible to purchase OTUPs at 7 months as a part of an actual reservation, and then cancel the reservation, freeing up those points to be used to complete a wait list. It's not something that I have attempted so someone with more experience would have to weigh in on that one.
Agree. We can't use OTU points to complete a waitlist reservation. If a waitlist works, MS has to find available points to complete it (current, banked, points that could be borrowed or points from a reservation that will be replaced).

Yes, you could make a one night reservation now with OTU points & then cancel it. However, that would be expensive as there are no 2 point nights. The extra OTU points would be lost if they can't be used prior to the end of the use year. If this is done, my advice would be to call MS and have them put a note on the waitlist indicating that they should look for the OTU points when the waitlist coms through. This strategy also decreases the odds of successful stalking since you must call MS to use the OTU points.

Thank you so much for the information. Like I have stated before, I have never waitlisted before, you are all very helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter