First time EVC user, looking for tips for driving through the lines.

jo-jo

DIS Veteran
For some years, we have rented a wheelchair for DH. First it was just at the parks, then outside vendor. It started I pushed 90% of the time , except for steep hill like the land. Although I did do the FP line at FOP once. Then it went to 80%, 70%.
Now it's I don't know how much I can push you beyond the fairly flat areas. I've gotten older and he has gotten heavier.

Mamabunny has posted a wonderful posts about using an EVC the first time. I think I have DH leaning toward using one and getting on buses. We are heading to BJS early on Monday morning and try an EVC for the first time. But what about the lines. Some rides, the lines snaked back and forth like crazy. We were thinking even bringing along his rollator for the rides (even if I have to push it through the parks and not be hooked onto the EVC).

I'm looking for tips like at XYZ ride I had trouble , this is what I found best.

First of all - rent a THREE wheel scooter and not a 4 wheel. The 3 wheel are much more maneuverable through the lines and through the stores or really anywhere...also easier to park on the bus. I have so far had zero problems navigating any line and I think I've taken it through all that will allow an ECV.

I suggest using an off-site provider (Gold Mobility its my favorite but there are many others - Scooterbug is the only one that can drop off and pick up from bell services). When the ECV arrives, have him practice driving it around the resort, try parallel parking (useful for the bus) and also getting in and out of elevators. Try some tight turns - just make sure when turning tightly that he's going slowly like he's in a line with people around him.

From what others say, the store ECVs are way more clunky and hard to turn than the 3-wheel ECV. Nothing wrong with trying it out of course but don't base your turning radius on the store shopping scooter.

This will give you both a lot of independence - I love being able to go when and where I want with the ECV and not dependent on a family member - and help you out as well.

I used my ECV in all 4 parks and in about every ride possible while there in February. I have a 3 wheeled ECV that is very easy to maneuver. I never had any trouble even in lines with snaking and tight turns. If you go slowly and watch what you are doing it’s not hard at all. I’m trying to remember some tight ones I know Flight of Passage has some tight turns as did Rise of Resistance and Mickey, Minnie railway. But I was always able to manage easily. I don’t use an ECV regularly so it’s not like I was well practiced before the trip but it was no problem. The lines that allow ECVs are designed to accommodate them even if it might not look like it at first glance.

In queus that "snake" back and forth, I would crank it down as low to turtle as possible when I reached the turn-around. Then up a little again on the straight away, then as slow as possible at the next turn-around. I could never go a constant speed in those queus.

First of all - rent a THREE wheel scooter and not a 4 wheel. The 3 wheel are much more maneuverable through the lines and through the stores or really anywhere...also easier to park on the bus. I have so far had zero problems navigating any line and I think I've taken it through all that will allow an ECV.

I suggest using an off-site provider (Gold Mobility its my favorite but there are many others - Scooterbug is the only one that can drop off and pick up from bell services). When the ECV arrives, have him practice driving it around the resort, try parallel parking (useful for the bus) and also getting in and out of elevators. Try some tight turns - just make sure when turning tightly that he's going slowly like he's in a line with people around him.

From what others say, the store ECVs are way more clunky and hard to turn than the 3-wheel ECV. Nothing wrong with trying it out of course but don't base your turning radius on the store shopping scooter.

This will give you both a lot of independence - I love being able to go when and where I want with the ECV and not dependent on a family member - and help you out as well.

yes, we figure at least to get his feet wet. If he gets a little practice, a little confidence so much the better when not using a clunker EVC

In queus that "snake" back and forth, I would crank it down as low to turtle as possible when I reached the turn-around. Then up a little again on the straight away, then as slow as possible at the next turn-around. I could never go a constant speed in those queus.

He could go turtle the whole time, as long as he feel comfortable driving, I can walk slow.

He could go turtle the whole time, as long as he feel comfortable driving, I can walk slow.

My wish for you both is that he goes “turtle” the whole time… because I have a feeling that he will *love* having his independence back while at WDW, and you could find yourself running to keep up with him!

I know that one of the greatest joys for me when I *finally* caved in and started using an ECV was simply the return of my personal freedom and the ability to do simple things you take for granted - like run to the QS in the morning to grab coffee for everyone else, or pop into a shop to grab something on my own.

Most of the queues are (as everyone above has told you) pretty standard. Probably the most memorable for me was the ramp that you can take down to the lower-level HA seating for Beauty & The Beast at HS - it’s a switchback system that descends from (outside) the top of the seating all the way down to the orchestra pit level, The notable thing to me was that it felt like if you had someone coming down and someone going back up at the same time… it might be too squeezy. (Also, thank goodness for electromechanical braking on ECVs, because WOW is she steep compared to most ramps at WDW!) Coming back up will be slow, only because of the grade of the ramp. Having said *all* of that… you don’t have to do the ramp; they have HA seating up at the top of the seats in the back rows. We did it once because I had never seen the show “close up”.

Another interesting place - again at HS - is the Frozen sing-along; depending on which way the CMs send you, you may wind up going down into that “bowl” area, and so… turtle again. Typically, they have mobility users enter first, so you don’t have to worry quite as much about other folks, just be sure to stick together.

Of course, Pirates and Buzz will still have attraction-supplied wheelchairs to use at MK, so be prepared for that. Usually at Small World he will drive down halfway, and a CM will meet him at the mezzanine and discuss if he can walk to the boat, or if he needs the wheelchair boat, he will be offered a wheelchair, and may have to wait for that to come back around. At other boat-based rides (thinking now of Mexico & Living with the Land at Epcot) he should be able to drive down fairly near, and walk or use an attraction chair as appropriate.

Generally I would recommend speaking to a CM at each ride or attraction as you approach; things are changing again with the new Genie/Lightning Lane system, and while I presume that you will often be offered the use of the (now former FP+) entrance, I just go with the mindset that I will probably have to run through the queue like everyone else, and if I am offered the use of the “bypass” (absent a DAS return time, or FP+/Genie+/ILLS) then I am being pixie-dusted.

I don’t really think you will see much difference between when you pushed him in a wheelchair and when he started using an ECV, other than you both may have a better day overall!

I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

I don’t really think you will see much difference between when you pushed him in a wheelchair and when he started using an ECV, other than you both may have a better day overall!

I hope you all have a wonderful trip!

We've had some good laughs with the wheelchair. First time using it, DH felt the need to tell me when when there was an upgrade... huff huff, yes I know honey.....So that became a running joke. When he first used it, he would walk the ride lines. Coming out of one ride, he said where did we put the wheelbarrow. I have a wonderful memory of taking some of the young DGK to a ride. I pushed, while grandpa held hands of a DGK on each side. I would put twinkle lights on the wheels , A few strings in different colors. We had many good comments from guests. About a six months ago, I was pushing him and it was hot and I wearing a mask. I was huffing and he said are you ok.....I said yes honey, I'm just whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

But one big different that will be talking to each other. My voice is very weak. Been that way for years. With the wheelchair, talking to him was very easy.

I never felt it was burden to push him. Yes, at times it was beyond my strength and we would skip whatever, but not once did I ever feel why can't he just walk. To be with him, watching fireworks or people watching or beating him on buzz, that's what's important .

Last edited:
Maybe, do some practice by going to a local zoo. Most larger zoos have scooter rentals. There aren't ride queues but you could use trees or other obstacles to practice making turns and going around them. Even if you get a 4-wheel scooter to use, it still would be good practice.

Using store scooters and going up and down aisles is good practice, too.

Three wheel scooters are easier but practicing on a four wheeler will make it feel easier to do a three wheeler.

After seeing several ER dr, sounds like AFIB. I really don't know anything about it. DH will see heart Dr today.

I'm just glad I can be with him for a several hours a day.

After seeing several ER dr, sounds like AFIB. I really don't know anything about it. DH will see heart Dr today.

I'm just glad I can be with him for a several hours a day.
Thanks for the update, I hope they determine a treatment plan and he is feeling better soon.

My mom uses an ECV. Some rides are better than others. Because the ECV person has to be in front for most rides, what we will do is have my dad hold onto the chair portion as an extra guide and I’ll go to the front. She follows me. If we go into a dark queue like Nemo, she will turn the light on. Some queue liens there are just bad spots. In MMRR, one of the turns the rail on the line had easily hundreds of dents and scratches from ECVs. Also take your time. Sometimes you might have to back up a bit and then make the turn. It happens. It is just the way of the queue. Also be mindful where you park. A few times on this most recent trip I was the one to get the scooter because I was tiny and younger, meaning I could get into some crowded stroller and scooter parking areas easier, and I also did have to mildly move (I’m talking just move it an inch out of the way) some strollers. If worse comes to worse ask a CM as they are always willing to help. And unless a CM asks for it to stay, take the key with you. Also have a poncho to put over it incase it rains.

DH still in hospital but stable. Still hooked up to IVs. Heart still a bit out of whack.

Longer he is in there, the strong case for a scooter. You know, once you are in a bed for a while, it's takes time to get back to normal. I asked dr if I should cancel trip, he said no.

DH still in hospital but stable. Still hooked up to IVs. Heart still a bit out of whack.

Longer he is in there, the strong case for a scooter. You know, once you are in a bed for a while, it's takes time to get back to normal. I asked dr if I should cancel trip, he said no.
So sorry to hear your DH is in the hospital, but very thankful he is stable 🤗

We are home. It's only been 4 days, but feels like 4 years.

New meds, ditch some old meds. Motrin is now banned in our house. Good think I stocked up.....

Give me 20 mins to relax and then back to planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter