First time Disney Family

Pugsly8422

Earning My Ears
Hello,

My company is having an event at the end of June. We will be staying at the Disney Yacht Club, but our son is OBSESSED with Jurassic Park/World. That being said, we want to take him to do all of the Jurassic related rides and events. I'm hoping to get some guidance on the best way to go about doing that since we're staying elsewhere and this will be our most important attraction. Thanks so much!

You would want tickets to Islands of Adventures. The Jurassic Park/World section is not extensive. It's three rides and some photo-ops. There's the River Adventure, the Velocoaster, the Velicorapter Meet and Greet, a photo-op with the jeep, a photo-op near the gates, the Discovery Center, Pteranodon Flyers (which is for younger kids. Your son may or may not be the right age for it). As far as I know, there are no events/shows themed to Jurassic Park/World. How long do you plan to spend at Universal (half a day, a full day, multiple days)?

The raptor encounter is pretty neat! And the whole Jurassic Park area is very immersive, I really enjoy spending time walking through and taking time to enjoy the details - cracks & fossils in the walkways, JP music piped in, very JP foliage. The new VelociCoaster will be open by then. It's a serious roller coaster if your son is into that (and tall enough). There is also a JP merchandise store at the exit to Jurassic Park River Adventure, and a BBQ restaurant in the area (Thunder Falls Terrace). Plus JP games. Definitely go in the Discovery Center if it is open, it's like walking into the original movie.

Hopefully the Discovery Center will be open by then. You can "watch" a dinosaur egg by born.
Although, since you are in town anyway I wouldn't not go if it is closed.

Thanks for everyone's input! If there are only a few attractions I am guessing we will only stay for half a day, but honestly we are completely new to this so that is just a guess. If there are other things to do at Islands of Adventure then we could possibly stay longer.

I'm guessing we'll have access to the Discovery Center with the Islands of Adventure tickets?

Also, are we going to need to take an Uber or taxi to go from Disney Yacht Club to Universal Studios? Or do they have special transportation?

By the way, my son is 6. I saw the new coaster requires 51"....well, he's 49" without shoes right now, and he may be too scared to ride, but he's so obsessed with Jurassic Park/World that it's a chance we're willing to take.

Yes, everything at Islands is included with your ticket - the Discovery Center included :)

You'll want an Uber or taxi. It's around $20/one way +tip for Uber.

I highly recommend downloading the Universal App, or at least checking out the website for a list of rides. The App will also provide you with ride wait times while you're there.

Other than the Jurassic Park area, ideas for the 6yo at Islands of Adventure also include:
Marvel Superhero island w/ a really fun Spiderman ride, should be great for 6yo. Also has meets w/ varied superheroes, including Spiderman, Captain America, Wolverine.
Toon Lagoon has Popeye barges (raft ride) and Dudley DoRight log flume - both good for 6yo, note you will be soaked to the undergarments on both.
Wizarding World of Harry Potter - Hogsmeade Village. Forbidden Journey is a really great ride and should be okay for 6yo. Hippogriff coaster is a kiddie coaster w/ usually short waits. Also fun to just explore if HP fans.
Kong ride is good for 6yo if he doesn't mind a scary theme / scary ominous queue.
Seuss Landing has 4 rides aimed predominantly at youngsters; none are a must do if not Seuss fans.

Don't just plan for half a day. I get that Disney families are reluctant to go to Universal and can sometimes look down on it or assume that it's not for them. But, the Universal parks are pretty darned awesome! Give it a chance. :) With a shorter kiddo, the park to park tickets expand the options on what they can ride. But, I (an adult) could spend hours playing in Camp Jurassic if you just want to stick with IOA. Note- the food at the JP Discovery Center was our least favorite in the parks. But the Thunder Falls Terrace is also in JP land and much, much better https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/dining/thunder-falls-terrace/menu.html

While not a thrill ride, Seussland was a HUGE hit with my then 10 year old. When we talk about going back this summer, he brings it up as a must do. Spider-Man was also a big hit.
Islands is the prettier of the 2 parks (IMO) as well

While not a thrill ride, Seussland was a HUGE hit with my then 10 year old. When we talk about going back this summer, he brings it up as a must do. Spider-Man was also a big hit.
Islands is the prettier of the 2 parks (IMO) as well

Yes, Seussland doesn't get talked about like it should. You would think the happy background music would become grating after a bit. But, no, still happy.

Yes, to Spiderman too. We were there during a low crowd and DD rode it back-to-back-to-back. While DH rode the nearby thrill ride over and over. I sat at our meeting place table and enjoyed life. DH loved having to spot all the Stans. DH and I had rode it with her about three times, and then we tapped out.

Everyone above has good information, and I'm just adding that you should go for it. Why not switch it up a little? I love Universal and Islands even though I'm not a huge thrill person (I don't do any of the "big" coasters). Admittedly there is less to do with the pandemic, but that's a universal thing (pun not intended). There is a little less planning with Universal so it's nice just to walk around and explore. I would plan on heading right to Jurassic Park as the park opens, especially if the new coaster is open at that time, because I anticipate the crowd heading right there as soon as the gates open.

I would also take a look at a YouTube video of the Jurassic Park River Adventure before going, either just by yourself or with your son. It's kind of a mix of Splash Mountain and Dinosaur at Disney, but I believe the drop is higher. Personally, I would have NOT been a fan when I was 6. The second half of the ride is a lot of darkness, flashing lights, and scary dinosaurs popping up. If he's up for it, great, but as a warning it might be a little scary. The good news is that the "scary" parts are relatively short, and at the scariest part (right when you are going to be "attacked" by a T-Rex the drop happens and the ride is over.

As a note, I always joke that I wish there was a separate ride with how the River Adventure is "supposed" to go. I rather just sit on a slow boat ride and look at dinosaurs!

Hello,

will be staying at the Disney Yacht Club, but our son is OBSESSED with Jurassic Park/World.
So I know you are staying elsewhere but I just wanted to be sure you are aware that Royal Pacific Resort at universal has Jurassic Park suites.....the kid beds are gyrospheres.....(the grown up room is just typical RP decor. I took my Dino obsessed 6 year old and she still talks about that room years later.

Thanks for everyone's input! If there are only a few attractions I am guessing we will only stay for half a day, but honestly we are completely new to this so that is just a guess. If there are other things to do at Islands of Adventure then we could possibly stay longer.

I'm guessing we'll have access to the Discovery Center with the Islands of Adventure tickets?

Also, are we going to need to take an Uber or taxi to go from Disney Yacht Club to Universal Studios? Or do they have special transportation?

By the way, my son is 6. I saw the new coaster requires 51"....well, he's 49" without shoes right now, and he may be too scared to ride, but he's so obsessed with Jurassic Park/World that it's a chance we're willing to take.

Dino rides:

He's the right size for Pteranadon Flyers, which is a a fun ride that you can only ride if you have a small kid with you.
My 5yo loved Jurassic River Adventure, we rode several times.
Discovery Center is part of IoA, but was closed for COVID when we were there last month. I think there is a dino-themed playground that was also closed, but I'm not sure.

There are lots of other fun rides, especially in Islands of Adventure, for young kids. Make sure to explore outside the Dino area!

So I know you are staying elsewhere but I just wanted to be sure you are aware that Royal Pacific Resort at universal has Jurassic Park suites.....the kid beds are gyrospheres.....(the grown up room is just typical RP decor. I took my Dino obsessed 6 year old and she still talks about that room years later.
that would be a totally awesome stay! And you'd get express passes so it's an all around win. Lots of people switch hotels (some even have 2 rooms in one night because the math works to stay in a hotel with EPs but their other booking is too hard to modify).

Camp Jurassic is awesome!!! We have spent hours playing there, and I think your son will love it. It is supposed to be reopening soon (they replaced a lot during the pandemic). As others have mentioned, he will be the perfect height to get into Pteradon Flyers (I have always wanted to go but my daughter is too big!!). He might not be the right height for the velocicoaster when it opens, and it might be too much for a 6-year-old. As far as the river thing, I recommend bringing a dry change of clothes (including shoes). There is no way to go through without getting soaked, even with a poncho! Change into flip flops, bathing suit and cover; bring towels and put your change of clothes in a locker. There are a lot of other fun kid things there, including Seuss area. You could have a really fun day. Heads up that single day passes are very expensive - about the same as Disney. Given the type of rides you are interested in I don't know that having a fast pass is that critical. Pteradon Flyers doesn't accept it, the Seuss rides tend to be shorter lines, so it would only be the Jurrasic Park Ride which can also get you wet (although not as bad as the river cruise). The center is just a center that you walk through that has some interesting items. As someone who had Disney AP for many years, I have enjoyed Universal a lot more. It's a lot less stressful to navigate. Have a great trip!

One more thing: not sure where a cab drops you off. We typically stay at on site hotels and it is easy to navigate in. The parking garage is a little crazy and hard to navigate, and then you need to walk through City Walk to get to IOA. You might want to consider asking your Uber to drop you off at the Royal Pacific hotel, then you will get a temp check there and can walk or boat over to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter