First time Disney cruiser!! Need help!

Rylamouse

Earning My Ears
Okay this is going to be a two parter, and I appreciate any advice I can get on either.

The first is about the ports of call. I hate to sound extremely cheap, although mastermindedly budgeted!! We have spent alot just to get to the cruise not to mention the 5 days at Disney we will be spending before. Besides that, I have a 4 and a 2 year old, that can not even do alot of the excursions, let alone pay for the few they even offer. Any suggestions on what we can do in the Bahamas besides shop?
Also, at Castaway Cay, I got my husband a massage (his birthday surprise) but I figure again, not really into the excursion part, we will probably want to just hang out at the beach. Are there problems getting an umbrella with chaise lounges to relax and let the kids play in the sand? I would think they would get overrun. Can people stick stuff on there and "save" them, making it hard to find a spot?

Second question is about dining on board. Are men really expected to wear a jacket or can they just wear nice khakis and shirt on the more formal nights. We are on the 3 day, and I know one is Pirate night, but I hate to pack too many clothes for just 3 days. Any suggestions?

I am sure I have more, but let me see what comes from all these questions! Thanks so much for the help, everyone here at these boards seem to be so experienced!!

On the three night there really isn't a formal night...definately no jacket required in the dining rooms. A jacket isn't even required in Palo anymore, but most still wear one there (the adult only restaurant).

Khakis and a polo or jeans and a polo are perfect for hubby.

People put there stuff on beach chairs while at the beach..but there are plenty for everyone. Umbrellas..well, fewer of those..take lots of sunscreen.

About the excursions ...... I'd suggest you not bother with any. Really. I think you'll find that if you just stay on the ship you'll love how you have it almost to yourself -- the buffet isn't crowded at all, the pools are practically empty, etc. I'm thinking you'll have a much better time with your kids if you do that rather than run around under the hot sun :)

You see, I'm one of the ones who LOVES being on the ship. On the 11-night southern caribbean last year, we stopped at 5 islands + Castaway Cay. Only on St Thomas and Barbados did I tour around, and even then I was back on the ship for lunch! And loving every minute of it! In St Lucia and Antigua I just got off the ship, walked around for a short period of time, then got back on the ship. And I didn't bother to get off at all :) at the last stop before Castaway Cay, St Kitts. I enjoyed the ship too much.

Something to think about anyway.............:)

IMHO Nassau has little to offer for young children. Expect to be hasseled as soon as you get off. So if you want to miss out on the experience take the previous posters suggestion and stay on board. We did the Ardastra garden tour with a 4 year old and he loved it.

As for Casataway. There is no need to rent a chair, they are free as are the umbrellas and hammocks. However the hammock are a little harder to come by. They sell sand toys for about 12.00 if you do not want to haul them with you. Castaway has a lot to offer that is either free or reasonably priced. You can rent a floating mat or tube if you want for the day. There are also bike rentals by the hour if you want to see more of the island.

As for the dinner attire. Most men on my last cruise wore nice slacks and a polo shirt.

Have a great time. Hope this helps

I just got off the 4 day... My first time... It was the best! You will love it!

First, I forgot to pack a button down shirt. I went to the semi-formal nite in a plain t-shirt and did not feel that out of place. I would say 30% of men wore jackets (I did not see any tuxes). I would say a button down shirt or a polo shirt is fine.

As for Castaway. We got off the boat late and we got lounges under an umbrella after looking for maybe 5 or 10 mins. We did not do an excursion on Castaway as the beach is soo nice. I was considering the banana boats or the stingrays... but am glad I didnt. Just played in the water with my kids. Ate some lunch... sent some postcards (which have yet to arrive). CC is VERY NICE.

As for Nassau. I vote (if you can afford it) to get a "day room" at Comfort Suites on Paradise Islands. You should get one fro just under $200. You will pay for a cab to and fro Paradise Island. What a day room gets you is full access to the aquarium and the pools at the atlanis. (and to call the pools at the Atlantis pools is a major disservice). They were totally awesome... more like a water park. I highly recommend it. They have the best kiddie pool I have ever seen.

We did the 3-night last March with my 4 y.o. DD...
Didn't even get off the ship in Nassau - but had the whole ship to ourselves and there were only a handful of other people so the pools and water-play area were uncrowded and fun for DD!

Castaway Cay we simply rented a couple of floats and played on the beach... went back to the ship for lunch, swam in the totally uncrowded pool again, took a nap, and woke up in time to go see the show...

Nice, relaxing way to spend time with the 4 y.o. DD... and absolutely no regrets about not doing "excursions" - not all of us cruise for the port-stops.

We've got a couple of light things planned for the 7-day, but really? For some of us it is all about being on the ship! :)

Skip the excursions and enjoy the ship with your kids, or send them to the kids club and enjoy the day with your husband. Being on the ship in port is wonderful. Just walk around and enjoy the views. We don't even get off the ship in the Caribbean except for Castaway Cay and that doesn't cost anything extra. We think of Castaway Cay as being just an extension of the ship anyway, the ship is great and that's what you've paid for.
You'll have a wonderful time either way.

although i have not had the privelege of a dis cruise i have been a seaman/commercial fisherman for most of my life (now landlocked for sun related health reasons) i must tell you castaway cay would be my choice ENJOY THE SHIP i have been many times to most all the islands and always found the locals have only one thought in mind to seperate you from your cash and they will sell you things that in 2 weeks you will say why in the world did i buy that and some islands if you get off the beaten path can be quite risky no one anywhere does it like disney enjoy the things they have to offer

although i have not had the privelege of a dis cruise i have been a seaman/commercial fisherman for most of my life (now landlocked for sun related health reasons) i must tell you castaway cay would be my choice ENJOY THE SHIP i have been many times to most all the islands and always found the locals have only one thought in mind to seperate you from your cash and they will sell you things that in 2 weeks you will say why in the world did i buy that and some islands if you get off the beaten path can be quite risky no one anywhere does it like disney enjoy the things they have to offer

Castaway is DCl's private island and there is no fear of local taking your money there. They have a couple shops and DCL has a store, but the beach and fun is what DCL is promoting. Now, Nassau is a totally different story. Even though you pay port charges as part of your cruise cost, if you wanted to pass up a stop, this maybe the one to consider.

As I mentioned earlier, we have done differnt excursions on both stops. For budget reasons you can not go wrong with Castaway. It is free and they feed you on the island for free as well.:thumbsup2

Sounds to me like you are making great choices for a family vacation. Besides, you will have lots more money for a future vacation, besides enjoying this one more, if you stay within budget on this one.

I vote with the folks who suggest that you stay on the ship and enjoy the pools and have some great family time.

Plan some DW-DH time with the kids are in the Club and Flounders.

All really great advice, I love it!! Thanks so much. I did love the idea of renting the room for the day with all the extras, and might consider that in the future without the other Disney park trip in our plans. But I think staying on the ship is a great idea!

"Plan some DW-DH time with the kids are in the Club and Flounders"
By the way, what is Club and Flounders? Somefun place on the ship I assume?

The "club" is where you can leave your 4-year old for fun and activities!!! Most children love it! Flounders is the nursery. The Club is included in your cruise but there will be a charge for Flounders.

ENJOY!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter