First Time at Coronado Springs, Here is my review

crzy4dsny

Yes, I'm Grumpy
We returned last week from our first stay at Coronado Springs. We had a split stay, 4 nights at CBR, and 11 nights at CSR. With this visit I have now stayed at each moderate resort. In my opion CSR is by far the most beautiful. The landscape is very tropical. Plants and flowers everywhere. The grounds here are better than most of the deluxe resorts.

We stayed in Casitas #1 for the first part of our stay, then we had to move over to Cabanas 9b. Both of these rooms were in great locations. The Casitas were the nicest section of the resort. Lots of courtyards and fountains through out. Some of these buildings were 4 storys high in this section. I was a little concerned that I would not like that but they fit in to the theme well. The Cabanas were nice, not as much landscaping and themeing, but still very nice. We had a room that looked out over the beach and part of the water. There was a couple of days when you couldn't go near the beach though. It was covered in what looked like bee's flying low over the sand.

After 4 days at CSR, unfortunately a big convention started and we were stuck in the middle of it. Most of the people involved were put into the Casitas. I heard there were 3,000 of them. They had hospitality rooms set up all around us. I guess the people who were running for office in an election that was going on, set these rooms up to get votes. They were serving food and drinks out of these rooms. Lots of drinks. They were wheeling in cases of beer 16 to 20 at a time. Lot of people were congregating on the walkways right outside our door eating, smoking and drinking. There were also lots of signs hung up all around soliciting votes and saying where the hospitality rooms were. Everytime we left our room we felt like we were intruding on their party. As you walked up to the buildings there were people all over the balconies on each level. All drinking and having a good time. I don't blame the people who were there for the convention. They weren't bad people. They were just doing what they came there to do. I think the resort should have been more aware of what was coming in and not put us, or any other family, in the middle of it. One night there was almost a fight outside our door. Two really drunk guys were yelling at each other, cursing up a storm, one guy was yelling "I'm going to kill you". Someone split them up before they started to fight. It just was not very Disney like at all. So the next morning we were moved to Cabanas 9B.

The Dig Site was awesome. The pool and slide were great. Everything you need is right there. Food, drinks, arcade, playground, volleyball, hot tub, and a little stand selling pool related items. I think we spent about 5 full days at the pool. Lots of room and chairs. This is the best pool I have been to so far.

The Pepper Market was okay but I think the prices were too high on most things. I can't see paying $13 to $15 for a plate of chinese food. Thats just too much. The burgers were a little bigger than others, and served on a better bun, they were priced about the same as the other resorts. They had a bigger selection of food than other resorts. I didn't like the desserts. I think it was $3.95 for one scoop of ice cream. When you are buying 5 it adds up quick. It didn't seem like there was much to choose from. Then they add in that 10% fee, for what I don't know. I think we had our mugs filled twice out of all the times we ate there. My brother in-law asked for some water once and they told him to find someone else and walked away. Lines weren't really an issue for us. We maybe had to wait 10 minutes once. We did see some really long lines at times when passing by though.

The bus service was great. Most of the time there was a bus waiting for us when we walked up, both at the resort and parks. I think the most we had to wait was about 15 minutes once.

Over all I did like the resort. I loved the tropical feel there. I felt it was not very Disney for some reason. Maybe it was because they do not have Mickey Bars there. Maybe it was all the convention people everywhere. (yes, I know it is a convention resort) That is something I'm just not used to seeing at Disney.

Thanks for the great report! We are going to be there at the end of this month, hopeing there won't be a convention the size you experienced!.

FWIW: It seems every vacation (anywhere not just WDW) there seems to be atleast one night when there is a drunk either outside our door or right next door. I really don't recall a vacation without one! :lmao:

Thanks for the honest review. In all the great reports about CSR I've never heard much mention of the convention people, except in passing, until lately. I am wondering if we wouldn't do better at a different mod--we booked CSR based on the great reviews and Buzz2001 web site as well as for the transportation. I'm going to think on that one a little more--maybe we'll switch to POR :confused3 . I'd rather deal with a wait for the bus than drunk people outside my door--that's just my opinion.

bdink921 said:
I'd rather deal with a wait for the bus than drunk people outside my door--that's just my opinion.

I think this behavior is very rare. When the manager came to our room that night he said there are only a few groups of people that they have problems like that with. Once we moved over to the Cabanas there were no problems at all. He also said that they try to give these groups rooms in the Casitas facing the courtyards. This way they stay in the courtyards.

MariaEllerºoº said:
How were your 4 nights at CBR? Where was your room and what was your impression of the whole resort?

CBR was nice. This was our second stay there. I liked it much more the first time. I think we were in building 14 In Barbados, for some reason I can't remember. The resort has nice landscaping, it has a tropical feel. I didn't really like the main pool this time. It just seemed real small for some reason. The food court had the basic stuff, nothing special. CBR is a nice resort, I guess I just like all the other moderates better.

Thanks for the review.. :thumbsup2 Im leaving in 12 days to CSR, I'm kinda nervous.. I have walked through it, but never stayed there.. I hope we love it! :)

*nods emphatically* I think anyone who ever stayed at the Castitas when there was a major convention where drinking was . . . encouraged, would probably have similar stories. We didn't have hospitality rooms around us, but instead had approximately 2,000 conventioneers returning from PI every night at 2 AM yelling from the walkways. Now I will only stay in the Cabanas when I go there.

Welcome back!! Glad you enjoyed CSR and found it to be beautiful!! At least you didn't let the noisey conventioneers spoil your trip. I've been lucky not to have experience any of that.

The PM is a definitly bargain if you are on the dining plan but we don't mind the prices considering we are dining out.

Thanks for the review! We'll be at CSR for the first time in 11 days. My main decision to stay there was the pool and the transportation reports from others. :sunny:

Very informative report, thanks for sharing!!

We've never encounter rowdy conventioneers at CSR (knock on wood) so we hope that continues with our next trip in September.

Thanks. We are staying at CSR in three weeks. Does anyone know if the farther away Casitas section have less conventioners? We want to stay in the Casitas section, but have requested Casitas 5 first and Casitas 4 second.

I can't wait, glad to hear the bus and pool were good.

Very nice review. We have also been very luck and only stayed at CSR when there were no or only very small conventions. Glad you had a great trip!

ReadingMama said:
Thanks. We are staying at CSR in three weeks. Does anyone know if the farther away Casitas section have less conventioners? We want to stay in the Casitas section, but have requested Casitas 5 first and Casitas 4 second.
The conventioneers are placed all over the resort, not just in the Casitas. Our family stayed in Cabana 8A, along with dozens of convenioneers. We saw business people (with their nametags and cell phones) in all areas of the resort, including the Rancheros. Luckily for us, though, they weren't loud or unruly ... except maybe a couple times at the main pool at night (drunk).

Oh gosh, I hope I haven't made a mistake booking CSR. I am now a little worried that I am going to regret it. I know its a convention resort but I never thought it might be so obvious. Please reassure me it won't spoil my holiday. :confused3

Boomdocker said:
Oh gosh, I hope I haven't made a mistake booking CSR. I am now a little worried that I am going to regret it. I know its a convention resort but I never thought it might be so obvious. Please reassure me it won't spoil my holiday. :confused3

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The resort just had a different feel to it. I'm sure the experiance I had was very rare. But even the non-rowdy convention people put a little bit of a damper on it. I guess it was just because they weren't there doing the same thing I was there to do......be on vacation!! They were there to work. Seeing all these people walking around with name tags and suits looked a little strange to me. It's kind of hard to explain :confused3 I would still give it a shot because CSR is such a beautiful place. All the good things there may make you over look the bad. If you don't like it you could always switch resorts. :)

We will be staying there in Sept for our 25th anniversary. I sure hope there are no rowdy folks during that time. We want to relax and enjoy the quiet without our children. We have enough chaos at home I realy dont want chaos durning our vacation. I have read such great reveiws thats why we chose CSR. I'm sure the CM will do there best to put us where we will enjoy our stay.

crzy4dsny said:
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The resort just had a different feel to it. I'm sure the experiance I had was very rare. But even the non-rowdy convention people put a little bit of a damper on it. I guess it was just because they weren't there doing the same thing I was there to do......be on vacation!! They were there to work. Seeing all these people walking around with name tags and suits looked a little strange to me. It's kind of hard to explain :confused3 I would still give it a shot because CSR is such a beautiful place. All the good things there may make you over look the bad. If you don't like it you could always switch resorts. :)
crzy4dsny, I feel the same way about CSR as you. It's a beautiful resort, but it didn't feel "Disney" to me in the least. Seeing business people all over the place with their nametags and cell phones really took away from the atmosphere.

dixiedizfan said:
crzy4dsny, I feel the same way about CSR as you. It's a beautiful resort, but it didn't feel "Disney" to me in the least. Seeing business people all over the place with their nametags and cell phones really took away from the atmosphere.

And they don't have MICKEY BARS!!!!! Whats the deal with that ?????

crzy4dsny said:
And they don't have MICKEY BARS!!!!! Whats the deal with that ?????
I know ... nothing Disney-like about CSR. It was weird in the Pepper Market; I think we were the only family on vacation in there. We were surrounded by business people, and the lounge was loaded with them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter