First time as a parent

Boardwalk_bride

Married in WDW :)
Hello!

My husband and I got married in WDW in April 2010 and decided we want to go back for an early anniversary during our daughter's bday (January 31st). She'll be turning 3 - we plan to go mostly while she is 2. I have a few logistical questions and am also hoping for general feedback.

Logistics:
1. If we are there mostly while she is 2, does she need a ticket?
2. How do buffets work (while she is 2)? Is she free (even though she probably eats the same as an adult)?
3. What are stroller rentals like?

Suggestions on hotel? We have stayed at Pop Century, AKL Jambo (3 times), Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club. Love AKL, but a bit far from parks. I'm thinking we would get a 1 bedroom, so we'd be renting DVC points (thinking Boardwalk, AKL or Bay Lake) or AoA Family suites. We are vegetarian, so want a place with lots of options. Our daughter is a wild/active child, so also looking for best pool/playground on site. We've never been in Jan. Is it warm enough to swim?

I'm also hoping for any general tips. Best park/activities/restaurants/other activities? Do people do child swap/single rider lines, or do you split up time in the park (i.e. Parent 1 takes the child around in the am and Parent 2 in the pm)?

Thank you!

Hello!

My husband and I got married in WDW in April 2010 and decided we want to go back for an early anniversary during our daughter's bday (January 31st). She'll be turning 3 - we plan to go mostly while she is 2. I have a few logistical questions and am also hoping for general feedback.

Logistics:
1. If we are there mostly while she is 2, does she need a ticket?
2. How do buffets work (while she is 2)? Is she free (even though she probably eats the same as an adult)?
3. What are stroller rentals like?

Suggestions on hotel? We have stayed at Pop Century, AKL Jambo (3 times), Wilderness Lodge and Beach Club. Love AKL, but a bit far from parks. I'm thinking we would get a 1 bedroom, so we'd be renting DVC points (thinking Boardwalk, AKL or Bay Lake) or AoA Family suites. We are vegetarian, so want a place with lots of options. Our daughter is a wild/active child, so also looking for best pool/playground on site. We've never been in Jan. Is it warm enough to swim?

I'm also hoping for any general tips. Best park/activities/restaurants/other activities? Do people do child swap/single rider lines, or do you split up time in the park (i.e. Parent 1 takes the child around in the am and Parent 2 in the pm)?

Thank you!

1. If we are there mostly while she is 2, does she need a ticket? - No. You "don't age at Disney", so she will be 2 on the reservation, and will not need a park ticket. (Note - This would get complicated if you booked a split stay, but it doesn't sound like you are.)

2. How do buffets work (while she is 2)? Is she free (even though she probably eats the same as an adult)? - She will eat free at buffets. At table service restaurants, she can share with you for free, or you can order her something and pay OOP.

3. What are stroller rentals like? - It's been a looooong time since we needed one, so I'll leave that question for others. I do remember that they all look alike, so you should tie something on yours to identify it.

Suggestions on hotel? - Of your choices, we've stayed at POP and AKL, and liked both. I'm not a vegetarian, so I didn't always notice whether places had a lot of options, but all the menus are on line, so you should check them out.

Our daughter is a wild/active child, so also looking for best pool/playground on site. - Again, I'm way out of the loop on this one, so hoping someone else will chime in.

We've never been in Jan. Is it warm enough to swim? - That's hard to determine, as the weather is so variable. But we've gone in February several times over the years, and DS usually swam.

1. If we are there mostly while she is 2, does she need a ticket? - No. You "don't age at Disney", so she will be 2 on the reservation, and will not need a park ticket. (Note - This would get complicated if you booked a split stay, but it doesn't sound like you are.)

2. How do buffets work (while she is 2)? Is she free (even though she probably eats the same as an adult)? - She will eat free at buffets. At table service restaurants, she can share with you for free, or you can order her something and pay OOP.

3. What are stroller rentals like? - It's been a looooong time since we needed one, so I'll leave that question for others. I do remember that they all look alike, so you should tie something on yours to identify it.

Suggestions on hotel? - Of your choices, we've stayed at POP and AKL, and liked both. I'm not a vegetarian, so I didn't always notice whether places had a lot of options, but all the menus are on line, so you should check them out.

Our daughter is a wild/active child, so also looking for best pool/playground on site. - Again, I'm way out of the loop on this one, so hoping someone else will chime in.

We've never been in Jan. Is it warm enough to swim? - That's hard to determine, as the weather is so variable. But we've gone in February several times over the years, and DS usually swam.

Thank you so much for the detailed response!

No ticket needed
Buffets are free so take advantage of character meals while she is free!
We always bring a stroller.......

Never stayed at POP, but visited the hotel and was not a fan. We like Jambo. My 2 year old enjoyed seeing the animals there this past January. Wilderness Lodge is my favorite because it is so peaceful and still close to MK. Have yet to stay at Beach Club. Boardwalk is wonderful. You can't beat the walk to and from Epcot. Bay Lake is another favorite and the walk to MK is priceless, especially with little ones. AKL should have quite a few vegetarian options. The Boardwalk/Beach Club area has a lot of room to run around and explore for your daughter. Beach Club has the best pool, but may be a little big/overwhelming for a 2/3 year old. Wilderness Lodge has a fun looking splash pad. I have always felt that January was too cold to swim, but I need it to be over 80 to get in a pool.

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are my favorite parks for young kids. I think MK has so much that both little kids and adults can enjoy together (all dark rides and character meet and greets). AK has a lot of shows and animal areas that are interesting for kids. If you have an active child, she'll love the Boneyard playground in Dinoland. Child swap is amazing and you should take advantage of that if you want. My husband and I always stick together and usually just do what our little one can do, but that's a personal decision. It's just more stress free that way and less juggling. If you did want to swap, staying at a hotel where you can walk to the park might be helpful.

Favorite character meals for 2/3 year olds:

Cinderella's Royal Table
Crystal Palace
Garden Grill
Tusker House
Chef Mickeys
Bon Voyage Breakfast (Trattoria al Forno)
Cape May Breakfast

No ticket needed
Buffets are free so take advantage of character meals while she is free!
We always bring a stroller.......

Never stayed at POP, but visited the hotel and was not a fan. We like Jambo. My 2 year old enjoyed seeing the animals there this past January. Wilderness Lodge is my favorite because it is so peaceful and still close to MK. Have yet to stay at Beach Club. Boardwalk is wonderful. You can't beat the walk to and from Epcot. Bay Lake is another favorite and the walk to MK is priceless, especially with little ones. AKL should have quite a few vegetarian options. The Boardwalk/Beach Club area has a lot of room to run around and explore for your daughter. Beach Club has the best pool, but may be a little big/overwhelming for a 2/3 year old. Wilderness Lodge has a fun looking splash pad. I have always felt that January was too cold to swim, but I need it to be over 80 to get in a pool.

Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom are my favorite parks for young kids. I think MK has so much that both little kids and adults can enjoy together (all dark rides and character meet and greets). AK has a lot of shows and animal areas that are interesting for kids. If you have an active child, she'll love the Boneyard playground in Dinoland. Child swap is amazing and you should take advantage of that if you want. My husband and I always stick together and usually just do what our little one can do, but that's a personal decision. It's just more stress free that way and less juggling. If you did want to swap, staying at a hotel where you can walk to the park might be helpful.

Favorite character meals for 2/3 year olds:

Cinderella's Royal Table
Crystal Palace
Garden Grill
Tusker House
Chef Mickeys
Bon Voyage Breakfast (Trattoria al Forno)
Cape May Breakfast

Amazing, thank you! I thought those would be the best parks. I love, love, love, Epcot (got married there) - but I don't think drinking around the world will be happening (not alcohol anyway). I guess the swimming will depend on what the weather happens to be like. We are in Canada so we are probably a bit tougher in cold weather! I love the pool at Beach Club, but when we stayed there last (in 2010) there were no vegetarian food options, which wasn't helpful. I LOVE AKL, but kind of want to explore a new place, so maybe we will try for Bay Lake!

Thanks again :)

We cheated and had my husband's parents down at the same time we were there, so we didn't have to deal with any kind of swap.

Be prepared for anything and everything.

Everyone says skip Epcot, but it was my 20 month old's favorite park. The paths are wide, so it doesn't feel as crowded and she could walk around the world showcase. She loved frozen ever after and the nemo ride in the living seas. Those were the only 2 rides she didn't scream on.

Everyone says skip Epcot, but it was my 20 month old's favorite park. The paths are wide, so it doesn't feel as crowded and she could walk around the world showcase. She loved frozen ever after and the nemo ride in the living seas. Those were the only 2 rides she didn't scream on.

And don't forget the lights on the ground at night! Young kids love that (if they are still awake).

I love, love, love, Epcot (got married there)

Don't skip Epcot if you love it. You have special memories there. There is still plenty to do with young kids. Try snacking around the world (I don't drink so this is what I do). It's really fun and your daughter can to try new things.
A lot of times there will be a scavenger hunt you can purchase for kids which is really fun. They get a prize at the end (usually pins or something). I think you can also still buy a passport too. We did this and wrote down all the new foods we tried and had cast members write our daughter's name in their language. There is also the free kidcot fun stops activity in Epcot. Definately things to keep kids entertained. Lots of character meet and greets too!
FYI-we did this with my older daughter who is now 10 and she loves to look through her passport!

Try a third party rental company if you want a bigger selection of strollers. We've used kingdom strollers for a crib rental. A lot of disney rooms may only have a pack n play available. They drop it off and pick it up right from your hotel. Easy.

We utilize child swap when we can but keep in mind in doubles the amount of time to get through a ride since you're basically riding it twice. If you're cool with taking things slow and not trying to rush to fit everything in you'll be fine.

Disney's been pretty good about adding vegetarian and vegan options everywhere so you shouldn't have much a problem there.

Some of the more recently rennovated pools have children's splash areas. I know WL/Copper Creek added one. Boardwalk is a great location but the pool isn't anything to write home about. Basically a big pool with a slide and a kiddie pool. You said you stayed at Beach Club. They have the most comprehensive pool set up with the lazy river, slides, sand pool for kids. If you like AKL but want to change it up a bit, you can try down on the Kidani side. They have that big water playground for the kids as well. Either way, you can't really go wrong with the DVC resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter