Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Option 2

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Option 3

Votes: 12 75.0%

• Total voters

dc724

Earning My Ears
Hey all! Going to Florida in August and have about two weeks that I can spend on vacation. I've never been on a cruise, but know that I get extremely seasick very easily. I also have some health issues that require pretty prompt medical assistance when they flare up. That being said, please let me know your thoughts/opinions on the following possible trips:
1. WDW 8/19-8/25, 3-night DCL cruise 8/25 staying in concierge, home on 8/28
2. WDW 8/19-8/25, 3 night DCL cruise 8/25 staying in concierge, 4 night DCL cruise 8/28 staying in concierge (both Bahamian)
3. 7 night Western Caribbean 8/19 DCL cruise, Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah (category 05E) -aft decks 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10; midship decks 6, 9, or 10; forward decks 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10. WDW 8/26-8/31.

Is concierge worth it on such short cruises and are 3/4 night cruises too short? Any and all help, guidance, recommendations, and/or suggestions are more than welcome.

I will always vote for longer is better.

We did concierge once on a three night. It was fine, but we are really too low maintenance for concierge - he got all excited when I asked for a can Diet Coke and brought like a 12-pack because one of us asked for something.

There are others who will not cruise if not concierge though. So YMMV.

Hey all! Going to Florida in August and have about two weeks that I can spend on vacation. I've never been on a cruise, but know that I get extremely seasick very easily. I also have some health issues that require pretty prompt medical assistance when they flare up. That being said, please let me know your thoughts/opinions on the following possible trips:
1. WDW 8/19-8/25, 3-night DCL cruise 8/25 staying in concierge, home on 8/28
2. WDW 8/19-8/25, 3 night DCL cruise 8/25 staying in concierge, 4 night DCL cruise 8/28 staying in concierge (both Bahamian)
3. 7 night Western Caribbean 8/19 DCL cruise, Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah (category 05E) -aft decks 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10; midship decks 6, 9, or 10; forward decks 6, 7, 8, 9, or 10. WDW 8/26-8/31.

Is concierge worth it on such short cruises and are 3/4 night cruises too short? Any and all help, guidance, recommendations, and/or suggestions are more than welcome.
I'd definitely opt for the 7 night non-concierge, but we've never sailed concierge. The 7 night cruises are so much more relaxing than the shorter cruises and we experienced much calmer waters in the Caribbean vs the Bahamian cruise, that can always change though, just luck of the draw.

I will always vote for longer is better.

We did concierge once on a three night. It was fine, but we are really too low maintenance for concierge - he got all excited when I asked for a can Diet Coke and brought like a 12-pack because one of us asked for something.

There are others who will not cruise if not concierge though. So YMMV.
The reason I was thinking concierge with the shorter cruises was if I have a flare up of my medical issues. Would concierge do anything differently than the other staff aboard the ship? In my head, I'm imagining that concierge would go out of their way to get me the medical attention I would need while if I wasn't in there, it would be more challenging to get it.

I'd definitely opt for the 7 night non-concierge, but we've never sailed concierge. The 7 night cruises are so much more relaxing than the shorter cruises and we experienced much calmer waters in the Caribbean vs the Bahamian cruise, that can always change though, just luck of the draw.
Would the 7 night cruise be too long for someone who's never sailed before though?

I would always pick longer cruises. From my experience all the staff is great about getting you what you need. We have never done concierge it is out of our $$$$ range. I can say Caribbean waters are calmer and I would stay in the middle of the ship. If you are worried abut getting sick Medical is on deck 1 forward. I would also talk to your DR. and see what you could take so you can enjoy your vacation.

The reason I was thinking concierge with the shorter cruises was if I have a flare up of my medical issues. Would concierge do anything differently than the other staff aboard the ship? In my head, I'm imagining that concierge would go out of their way to get me the medical attention I would need while if I wasn't in there, it would be more challenging to get it.
Another point is if you are holed up in your room, you'll use the concierge room. Then again, if the fresh air is helpful to you, maybe those 5Es would be good.

I haven't had to use the medical facility, but I've only read really good things about it. I don't think staying in concierge would have you get medical help any faster. I would choose the 7 night cruise. However, peace of mind is priceless and if you will mentally feel better about staying in concierge, go that route.

I haven't had to use the medical facility, but I've only read really good things about it. I don't think staying in concierge would have you get medical help any faster. I would choose the 7 night cruise. However, peace of mind is priceless and if you will mentally feel better about staying in concierge, go that route.

This. The medical staff is there for everyone and they treat people as needed in triage order - not if they are concierge or not.

7 night non concierge. :) I don't think a short cruise is worth it. This will be my first time doing a 7 day. I've only done 10/14 day cruises before. 3/4 is alot of work traveling for a short time IMHO. Although any cruise would be fab. I get seasick/carsick/you name it...I use Non drowsy dramamine on the boat during the day and regular dramamine at night. If your doctor will give you a script for a patch behind your ear BEFORE you go on the cruise, I would try it before leaving. If you dont have any side effects then use this instead. If you do have side effects at least you know before you go. It dilated my eyes BUT I felt the least seasick using it.

Our family has needed the medical facilities twice on different DCL cruises and received prompt medical attention for minor ailments -- much quicker than a land-based hospital emergency room. A cousin also needed help for food poisoning after eating Mexican food in port. And no, we're really not accident prone. None of us was Concierge. FWIW, DH also had a gall bladder attack on a Princess cruise and that medical team was also very professional.

Last edited:
Would the 7 night cruise be too long for someone who's never sailed before though?
I think so. I think a 7 night cruise could feel like eternity if you could not adjust to the motion of the ship. I would chose option1.

Bobbi

I've only been on one cruise, but I don't see how you'd need concierge staff, or any staff, to help you get medical attention. You can go to the on-board medical facility yourself, or call them directly for assistance if you're so ill that you can't get there. And I'd think that giving preferential emergency medical treatment to guests who've paid more would be illegal.

As for the length of the cruise, I'd suggest the shorter one for your first time. I did a three-day cruise, have no history of motion sickness, and I had a lot more trouble than I expected to with the motion of the ship. Overall, I enjoyed the cruise very much and am glad that I did it, but OMG, was I happy to get off that ship after three days. I was also one of those unfortunates who had some mild vertigo for several days after returning to land.

We just did 3 nights WDW, 4 night cruise, 2 nights WDW. I was worried someone in our family would either get sick or really not like the cruise so we just dipped our toes in on a 4 night. It went so quickly and we all loved it. 7 would have been ideal, but we enjoyed our days at WDW too. I would take option 3.

My family would always choose the longer cruise.

That said, you have never cruised, appear to be concerned about motion sickness, and have concerns about your health and potentially needing medical attention. I suggest a 4-night cruise to give it a try. I do not believe concierge would have any impact on medical care; possibly a plus if you are confined or quarantined.

And without getting into your personal medical situation, just a reminder to shop for good trip insurance. The medical facility onboard is great, but they cannot do everything, in which case it may be necessary for you to be sent to a land-based medical facility, potentially with an airlift depending on circumstances.

Enjoy your cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter