First cruise good category?

Shelby Schroepfer

*Never Grow Up*
I am playing around with carting our first cruise, December 2020 4 nights on the Magic. I'm not quite ready to make the deposit yet but I keep checking the prices and different staterooms and decks and we are wondering what you all think about our choices. We wanna keep it as cheap as possible as we are taking a year off of Disney World and doing the cruise to "save money" (SHHH I am just telling myself that to feel better about missing WDW) so we are truly just booking the bare bones. Inside stateroom, possibly upgrade to the deluxe inside, and I am looking at room 1079 on deck 1, a category 10C room. Any pros or cons to different decks or locations of the inside rooms? This one looks like it's at the end of a hallway? Thanks!

It looks like there's other cabins above this one, which is good. It should be quiet. You never want to be under one of kitchens or restaurants because it will be noisy. It's also mid-ship, we prefer mid-ship. We've never stayed in an inside room, we like being able to see outside so always get an ocean view. Only down side it could have with being at the end of the hall is that it could be really quiet or noisy depending on what is at the end of the hall. We had a room on the Wonder with nothing across from it. I'm pretty sure we had a mechanical room across from us. We heard loud noises that sounded like metal being grinded every night. There's a thread at the top of the board that gives cabin reviews. Look and see if there's any reviews for cabins in this area, Magic and Wonder are twins, so if there's one for the Wonder it will be same as the Magic. Usually the higher decks cost more, so deck 1 or 2 will probably be the cheapest.

It looks like there's other cabins above this one, which is good. It should be quiet. You never want to be under one of kitchens or restaurants because it will be noisy. It's also mid-ship, we prefer mid-ship. We've never stayed in an inside room, we like being able to see outside so always get an ocean view. Only down side it could have with being at the end of the hall is that it could be really quiet or noisy depending on what is at the end of the hall. We had a room on the Wonder with nothing across from it. I'm pretty sure we had a mechanical room across from us. We heard loud noises that sounded like metal being grinded every night. There's a thread at the top of the board that gives cabin reviews. Look and see if there's any reviews for cabins in this area, Magic and Wonder are twins, so if there's one for the Wonder it will be same as the Magic. Usually the higher decks cost more, so deck 1 or 2 will probably be the cheapest.
I had NO idea they were identical ships! thank you so much

Honestly, on the Magic/Wonder, the interior cabins are a huge savings off the prices of oceanview or verandah. It think we saved like 25% off the price of the cruise? And no balcony and a single bathroom just really didn't make a difference to us. We waited for the bathroom and we went up on deck or to the boat deck if we wanted to see the ocean.

That particular room does have reports of mechanical noises in the night. Rooms that are next to a "greyed out" areas on the deckplan are often next to something like a service elevator, engine room, galley etc. so can be unpleasantly noisy. I'd recommend trying to find an inside room in an area with staterooms all around for more quiet.

I have stayed in 1050, 1051, 1052, and 1053 on the magic which is identical to the wonder. I much prefer the interior 1050/1052 to the Oceanview 1051/1053. If you click on my signature for the Bermuda trip report you can read more about those particular rooms. I have cruised every non-concierge state room category on Disney and actually prefer the interiors because of the cost savings and the fact that we really don’t spend that much time in the room. The last time we had a balcony we barely used it. Also as others have said go to Wdwinfo.com which is the parent website of this discussion board and click on Disney Cruises at the top, then staterooms, then stateroom reviews and you can read reviews of any room you’re considering. Super helpful.

We booked 11C GTY on Magic for this past summer on the Med - was supposed to be the second deck - but we ended up in an inside cabin on the 7th Deck (AFT). After staying there - now I know why people like to choose their cabins - I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

Good luck with your choices!

I’ll throw in my opinion. I’ve done most types of cabins from interior to one bedroom Concierge (port upgrade when it was a great deal).

I sailed Deck 1, ocean view, for the Panama Canal and thought that area felt like being in the belly of the ship, in steerage class (but room was as good as any other regular DCL cabin). It just didn’t give me that immersed in Disney magic feel. Little details, like the elevator and stair area wasn’t as attractive. It just seems more functional, like I was a worker, not a guest. And I do pick Disney because of the ship’s design.

I’d suggest looking at a sideways cabin on Deck 6 (forward, Cat 11B). We have two of those cabins booked for next November on the Magic. We also sailed Alaska in sideways on Deck 5 (my favorite Magic Deck, so close to movies - and with no midship cabins, the hallways don’t seem so endless.) We picked Deck 6 over Deck 5 this time due to their being only cabins near us up, down, and all sides.

Good luck and Bon Voyage.

Last edited:
Just realized from your other thread that you want a pull down berth. Deck 6 sideways don’t have that option.

I found the info in the Passporter book somebody mentioned (online - it lists the rooms and occupancy). Cabin 1079 does hold 4, so would have the upper berth.

Since you’ve never sailed before, you can just be excited to be on DCL.

My first cabin was a secret porthole on Deck 5. Obscured window for price of an inside. And it was so cheap back in 2007. Less than $500 for three people for a 3-night Cruise. I miss the old prices!

Last edited:
I have stayed in 1050, 1051, 1052, and 1053 on the magic which is identical to the wonder. I much prefer the interior 1050/1052 to the Oceanview 1051/1053. If you click on my signature for the Bermuda trip report you can read more about those particular rooms. I have cruised every non-concierge state room category on Disney and actually prefer the interiors because of the cost savings and the fact that we really don’t spend that much time in the room. The last time we had a balcony we barely used it. Also as others have said go to Wdwinfo.com which is the parent website of this discussion board and click on Disney Cruises at the top, then staterooms, then stateroom reviews and you can read reviews of any room you’re considering. Super helpful.
I feel like we would hardly use our balcony too! And we want to absorb every activity we can so the room is a place for sleeping and snacking only haha

Just realized from your other thread that you want a pull down berth. Deck 6 sideways don’t have that option.

I found the info in the Passporter book somebody mentioned (online - it lists the rooms and occupancy). Cabin 1079 does hold 4, so would have the upper berth.

Since you’ve never sailed before, you can just be excited to be on DCL.

My first cabin was a secret porthole on Deck 5. Obscured window for price of an inside. And it was so cheap back in 2007. Less than $500 for three people for a 3-night Cruise. I miss the old prices!
Yes it would be a huge bonus to have the upper berth but I get so confused when I look at the deck plans and the room categories and such. I am going to try to stick with 1079 and pay our deposit soon so we know for sure!

Yes it would be a huge bonus to have the upper berth but I get so confused when I look at the deck plans and the room categories and such. I am going to try to stick with 1079 and pay our deposit soon so we know for sure!
Good choice. Always stay within your budget. Enjoy your cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter