First Car

I bought my own first car. Before that I shared a car with my brother, sort of. He wes in college out of the country so I really didn’t have to share. After a year or so of driving that car I bought my own car and my parents paid my insurance and most of my gas until I was out of college.

In my husband’s family the grandparents buy the grandkids their first car. My son got a Honda Civic when he turned 16. He drove that until the beginning of his junior year in college when the grandparents replaced that car.

I bought my own first car. Before that I shared a car with my brother, sort of. He wes in college out of the country so I really didn’t have to share. After a year or so of driving that car I bought my own car and my parents paid my insurance and most of my gas until I was out of college.

In my husband’s family the grandparents buy the grandkids their first car. My son got a Honda Civic when he turned 16. He drove that until the beginning of his junior year in college when the grandparents replaced that car.
You folks interested in adopting an older child? I'm toilet trained and can feed myself. BTW, telling you this for no particular reason, I like Cadillacs.

I bought my own first car when I was 25 (a new Nissan cube). I didn't get my license until I was almost 23. Before I bought my car I borrowed either of my parents' cars or my sister's car if I needed to use one.

They didn't buy the car specifically for us but when it was time for one of our parents to get a new car, both my brother and I got their old car and they purchased a new one for themselves. I inherited a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim, with peeling paint and smelled like a smoker (because my father was one). Lots of febreeze later, I didn't notice it anymore. At that point, the car was 6 years old.

I'd like to be in a position where I can do the same thing for my kids when they get to driving age.

First car was a 2000 Toyota Corolla. It was the ugliest thing ever, but it worked! I drove it into the ground.

My parents did not buy me a car, but we gave my daughter a car when she was about 16-17. She was a competitive swimmer in high school and a car meant that I didn't have to get up to get her to 6:00 am practice every morning. It was a 2005 Mazda 3 and had been her grandparents' car.

We bought her a different car a couple of years later after we bought a new car with modern safety features and realized how important they are. She now drives a 2015 Subaru Outback with Eyesight which is owned by us. She lives about an hour from campus in a rural area and will need to drive in the snow this winter so it was a good choice. We currently pay for everything except gas because we can. We will probably keep it up until she graduates from grad school in 4 years.

I got my first car myself after college. It however common for parent to buy their children their first car

No, but I am fortunate that my grandma cosigned a small car loan for me when I turned 18. I think it was somewhere around $1500 or $2000? It's amazing that you could buy a car for that 20 years ago!

I saved a modest amount of money to help my son buy his first car but it is only a little more than half of what it will cost him to buy something decent. He's going to have to be responsible and work to double that money.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter