Finding the cats

FrazierFamily

Mouseketeer
So.. I might be one of the crazy cat lady type people...

And I keep hearing the rumor that many cats are employed as mousers (LOL). I looked last time were were there a bit but honestly we were too busy and the whole park was slammed. I have more time when I go in a few weeks.

While I assume they are mostly feral-ish.. are there any tips on finding some? Maybe good locations...or? Would it be bad to bring a little baggy of treats just in case?

I saw one once in the bushes on the road from Mickey and Friends. I was on the tram heading to the parks.

I most often see them at DCA near Grizzly River Run and at Disneyland on the railroad right before the Tomorrowland stop and near Big Thunder Mountain. Also, it's easier to find them at rope drop or before as they don't really like people much. Enjoy!

Please don't bring treats. The cats, like most animals living at the park, are not meant to be fed by humans.

First off, I definitely think it would be a bad idea to bring a baggy of treats - they don't want the cats to become overly domesticated - I believe if they do become too friendly they actually relocate them so I don't think that's a good idea.

I think it's one of those things - if you're trying to find one you probably won't - it's just a pure chance type thing.

The only place I've seen a couple of cats is: in DCA near Grizzly River Rapids - I looked it up afterwards and the cats name is Francisco (aka: Snickers), he's quite famous.
He was on the slope just before Grizzly amongst the trees, as you're walking around to Grizzly entrance on the left. He was a little way up the slope and whilst didn't appear overly timid he wasn't coming down to the fence line either. A few guest saw him and mostly appeared to be doing the right thing and just watching him for a bit from the distance.

I also saw another cat across the way from the Grizzly entrance in the wooded area between Grizzly and GCH.

I'm in the camp that says if you're lucky enough to see one of the Disney cats, take a moment to watch from a distance but don't interfere with them going about their 'business' in any way : )

Last edited:

The treats were mostly a happy thought cause I can't help myself :)

I assumed I would never get that close to one of them.. Just want to keep an eye for a pic or too. Sounds like Grizzly is a good place. Wonder if it will a bit better because the ride will be closed while we are there.

I'm sure people do feed them - I just personally think it's probably not a good idea, tempting as it would be : )

Maybe, maybe not re: the ride being closed? I just googled and found a great photo of him online watching the rafts coming down the waterfall.
Won't hurt to have a look there anyway - good luck, hope you see one : )

I was at Aulani on the weekend and I saw 2 cats at the pool area. Very friendly. They liked being pet...

I had one run by me with a rat in it's mouth while I was sitting on a bench by BTMRR one night:crazy2:. I've also seen them in the BTMRR queue.

Tangaroa Terrace around the DLH pools - we kept seeing a repeat cat ....who I swear I've also seen on Cats of Disneyland on Twitter. I wouldn't bring treats. I am certain they scavenge enough littered park treats in addition to their catches. I'm not a cat person by any means, but I do enjoy spying the Dland cats!

I saw three cats together, at the Disneyland Hotel, by the laundry room and pool area. I was sitting on the planter wall, while one came through the bushes in the planter and onto the concrete, followed by another. They met up with the third cat for a few minutes, then two of them walked away, still on the concrete walkway, and the third, a black cat, proceeded to sit approximately 7 feet away and lick himself, all the while keeping an eye on me.

I see a cat or two in the mornings when I ride the train around the parks.

2527F5FD-893B-4FB2-B107-3C54D20F5A4D.jpeg 2527F5FD-893B-4FB2-B107-3C54D20F5A4D.jpeg
The only place I've seen a couple of cats is: in DCA near Grizzly River Rapids - I looked it up afterwards and the cats name is Francisco (aka: Snickers), he's quite famous.
He was on the slope just before Grizzly amongst the trees, as you're walking around to Grizzly entrance on the left.

Awww I didn’t know he had a name! We got a pic of him by Grizzly River Run between the entrance to Grand Californian and the bathrooms across from Soarin.

ETA eek sorry its so big!

Francisco is who we have also seen a few times near Grizzly River Run. He can blend into the surroundings quite well!

Kids just reminded me we saw another cat near the Matterhorn a few years back.

Hungry Bear has several who hang out back there. If you have kids, don't hang back there during duckling time. The "Circle of Life" happens... Also by Big Thunder at the pond.

There are several who hang out around the Disneyland Hotel, along with a possum. If you see an older woman security person just standing around by the Adventure Tower, look around. She is usually keeping an eye on one they have just released from the vet office.

Along the Grizzley River, but closer to Soarin side you can usually find one or two. Also around a few of the "leafy" areas in Fantasyland.

Actually they're two different cats XD. Snickers and Francisco. Both calicos. And both very likely females although male calicos are technically possible. Just very rare.

Their patterns are similar, but just slightly different in the face. They hang out in the same area.

Check the Cats of Disneyland Facebook page for photos and names of the DLR cats. Francisco is a tortie (female) and Snickers is a dilute calico (also female). Both are long haired and blend right in to their surroundings. Francisco is friendly, will come when called (occasionally) and allows pets when in the mood. Quite the diva! Snickers is very shy, but has been warming up more to the public lately. Cats are seen regularly and often along the left side (going toward the parks) of the tram route. Cats are often seen on the DLH grounds. There used to be signs asking guests not to feed the cats. There are feeding stations backstage, so they do have backup in case hunting isn't working out on any day. If you ever close out the parks, you will often see the occasional cat running to and fro as the guests clear out.

Last edited:
Actually they're two different cats XD. Snickers and Francisco. Both calicos. And both very likely females although male calicos are technically possible. Just very rare.

Their patterns are similar, but just slightly different in the face. They hang out in the same area.

Ahh, thanks for the info (Kender and theluckyrabbit) - the article I found said they were one and the same! Not sure which one I saw, I was thinking it was Francisco at the time - it was a couple of years ago, but I did get quite a thrill to see her and take a photo.

Ahh, thanks for the info (Kender and theluckyrabbit) - the article I found said they were one and the same! Not sure which one I saw, I was thinking it was Francisco at the time - it was a couple of years ago, but I did get quite a thrill to see her and take a photo.

I think some treat them like a Clark and Superman situation: if you don't see them together, they must be the same:rotfl2:. So misinformationm gets spread. I also think some just like the name Francisco better since there's a "Francisco Fridays" thing that happens on social media.

I saw them together the first time I spotted them which helped me know the difference. Wasn't until later a CM friend shared their names with me.

I have seen them at DCA and on grounds of DL Hotel. Remember they are working animals and not supposed to be overly friendly. I had even heard that if they become too friendly, approaching guests, they are "fired" and re-homed, lol. I think that photo above is Francisco? I saw him by Grizzly River Run.

One place where I once saw one was as you exit Indiana Jones on top of the tunnel where there are holes and you can see daylight. There was kitty relaxing up there.

I also recommend not feeding the cats. They are well taken care of from my understanding and Disney has feeding stations for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!